The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham Freshers Megathread 2016

Results day is just around the corner (), but this is the place to be on the day and onwards!

A preemptive congratulations to those that are going to the university and you can use this thread to say hello to fellow students and discuss how excited you are to begin your fantastic journey!

This thread is yours, take it away
Going to bump this!

I'm kind of nervous (but excited) about getting to know people, especially as I'm not a partier or clubber, and I don't drink. I've always been quiet and introverted, but hoping it'll be okay. Anyone else in the same boat? I think I'm going to try out a few societies instead. I simultaneously can and can't wait to start, feel a bit like Schrödinger's cat haha.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Steampunk_Kitty
Going to bump this!

I'm kind of nervous (but excited) about getting to know people, especially as I'm not a partier or clubber, and I don't drink. I've always been quiet and introverted, but hoping it'll be okay. Anyone else in the same boat? I think I'm going to try out a few societies instead. I simultaneously can and can't wait to start, feel a bit like Schrödinger's cat haha.

yes this is me , i feel this ! haha , but I have been dragged to many clubs by my friends so that's not that new to me. But yes excited and nervous ! Yeah imma try out some societies as well
Reply 3
Going to bump this!

I don't drink either hehe. Always up for fun alternatives to clubbing though.
Glad I'm not the only one. Movie marathons and TV boxsets are more my thing haha.

What course is everyone doing? I'm doing biochem and biological chemistry. I actually figured I really like genetics after I applied, but I'll see how it goes. I'm really looking forward to lab sessions :smile:.
Reply 5
Going to bump this!

God it's such a relief to see this, I just spent the last hour panicking that I was going to spend my freshers' week sitting in my room on my own! I thought maybe I'd be able to handle a few of the parties until I watched about 30 seconds of an advert for one of them haha. I'm doing hispanic studies and history which is basically my dream course :smile:
Original post by robynama
God it's such a relief to see this, I just spent the last hour panicking that I was going to spend my freshers' week sitting in my room on my own! I thought maybe I'd be able to handle a few of the parties until I watched about 30 seconds of an advert for one of them haha. I'm doing hispanic studies and history which is basically my dream course :smile:

Ooh, cool! I love history, but I figured it'd be easier to keep it as a hobby, but I'm going to miss it. I really want to look at some of Nottingham's historical sites, like the castle. Probably kinda sad haha.
Reply 7
Ooh, cool! I love history, but I figured it'd be easier to keep it as a hobby, but I'm going to miss it. I really want to look at some of Nottingham's historical sites, like the castle. Probably kinda sad haha.

Oh no, that's not sad at all! Pretty much everywhere I go I like to have a think about what history's about. I don't think I'm going to miss anything to do with science, sorry to disappoint haha
Original post by robynama
Oh no, that's not sad at all! Pretty much everywhere I go I like to have a think about what history's about. I don't think I'm going to miss anything to do with science, sorry to disappoint haha

Haha no worries, I must admit science baffles me sometimes, but I enjoy it. History's awesome though, I have a life goal of visiting all the National Trust stately homes and castles.

What societies has everyone got their eye on? What are you looking forward to?
Going to bump this!

Also me. :h: I see they've got stuff like bowling and games nights on the events page now and that's definitely more my style. Anybody had a look at societies page to see if anything jumps out at them? I don't think I'll be able to live with myself if I don't at least go and see what Quidditch is all about!

Out of interest, what is the difference between biochem and biological chemistry? I'm doing computer science, which i imagine won't help with the whole introvert thing lol.
Original post by HanShot1st
Also me. :h: I see they've got stuff like bowling and games nights on the events page now and that's definitely more my style. Anybody had a look at societies page to see if anything jumps out at them? I don't think I'll be able to live with myself if I don't at least go and see what Quidditch is all about!

Out of interest, what is the difference between biochem and biological chemistry? I'm doing computer science, which i imagine won't help with the whole introvert thing lol.

I'm so glad the events page is being updated! Bowling and games night sounds like so much fun! I definitely want to look at the HP/Quidditch society. I'm planning on buying and reading 'The Cursed Child' to prepare haha.

From what I know/ have been told biochem and biological chem are either the same or really similar. There are 3/4 biochem courses, and I just looked at what was in the course and picked. Apparently the 1st years for all of them are pretty similar anyway, and there's the possibility of switching between them at the end of this year.

Computer science looks so cool! Also really hard, but I don't know much about it.
Hey, has anyone received their Notts login details and email address yet? I don't know for certain if we get them before we arrive but that would make the most sense!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
Hey, has anyone received their Notts login details and email address yet? I don't know for certain if we get them before we arrive but that would make the most sense!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you registered online yet? That's when I got mine :smile:.
I'm so glad the events page is being updated! Bowling and games night sounds like so much fun! I definitely want to look at the HP/Quidditch society. I'm planning on buying and reading 'The Cursed Child' to prepare haha.

From what I know/ have been told biochem and biological chem are either the same or really similar. There are 3/4 biochem courses, and I just looked at what was in the course and picked. Apparently the 1st years for all of them are pretty similar anyway, and there's the possibility of switching between them at the end of this year.

Computer science looks so cool! Also really hard, but I don't know much about it.

Where is the events page? ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/events/

http://uonwelcome.co.uk/events/

I think there's something on Facebook too, but I don't have an account, so I'm not sure.
https://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/events/

http://uonwelcome.co.uk/events/

I think there's something on Facebook too, but I don't have an account, so I'm not sure.

Thanks. Have you, or anyone else, got your/their timetable yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! I haven't had my timetable yet. I've looked around (Portal, Moodle etc.) but can't seem to find anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics students get their timetable after they arrive - I'm not sure about other departments
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
I haven't actually received a timetable yet, but if you go to this address: https://timetabling.nottingham.ac.uk/ and sign in, you can select the course you're studying and look at the timetable for it.

The only thing is, not all of the classes will apply to you as you may be separated into groups and have some classes separately. However, chances are that at least a few of the classes will apply to everyone and that can give you an idea of what kind of timetable you'll have.

Or even if you would need to know what group you're in, you can still figure some things out, e.g. That if you're in class 1 you have a workshop on Tuesday not Wednesday, or if you're in class 2 your workshop is on Wednesday not Tuesday, so you would know that you would definitely have either Wednesday or Tuesday off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending