The Student Room Group

Work experience problem: applying for an undergraduate degree in biochemistry

I'm really struggling to find work experience for my application for a biochemistry degree. My questions is, is it essential for a biochemistry degree? Can I take the risk of not doing any? Any help will be appreciated!
I'm starting a chemistry degree which is similar to biochem, I didn't need work experience so didn't get any and I got all 5 offers, I imagine it's the same for you...never hurts to do some work experience in a pharmacy though :smile: it would give you something to talk about in your PS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by CBMFM99
I'm really struggling to find work experience for my application for a biochemistry degree. My questions is, is it essential for a biochemistry degree? Can I take the risk of not doing any? Any help will be appreciated!

Work experience is not needed, except for Medicine and similar courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
work experience definitely does boost you but isnt necesary. Although top unis would have students applying with work ecperience.

Ask sixth form heads for help lots of companies give out work experience when schools talk to their local co-ordinators.

Have a look at student ladder for a list of companies.

go to local pharmacies etc. and ask for work experience.
Reply 4
Original post by Edmar Hadad
Although top unis would have students applying with work ecperience.

Rarely. It's not a requirement.
Original post by jneill
Rarely. It's not a requirement.

agreed. haven't seen on any uni websites where you require work experience.
Reply 6
Original post by bubblegumcat
I'm starting a chemistry degree which is similar to biochem, I didn't need work experience so didn't get any and I got all 5 offers, I imagine it's the same for you...never hurts to do some work experience in a pharmacy though :smile: it would give you something to talk about in your PS

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get and what universities did you apply for? Hope you enjoy your course as well :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Edmar Hadad
work experience definitely does boost you but isnt necesary. Although top unis would have students applying with work ecperience.

Ask sixth form heads for help lots of companies give out work experience when schools talk to their local co-ordinators.

Have a look at student ladder for a list of companies.

go to local pharmacies etc. and ask for work experience.

I'm applying to a few Russell group universities. It's just so hard to find some in the region I live in where there's practically nothing :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by CBMFM99
I'm applying to a few Russell group universities. It's just so hard to find some in the region I live in where there's practically nothing :frown:

You. Do. Not. Need. Work. Experience.
Original post by CBMFM99

If not try to find some voluntary work . either way, it really comes down to your grades which is the most important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending