The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

None of these jobs are PT Ops - they are caseworker jobs.
Original post by TraineeAcc
None of these jobs are PT Ops - they are caseworker jobs.

Obviously... Just trying to give an example of what the working pattern could potentially be that's all...
Original post by Litts

I had an interview for the last tranche but got flummoxed for the collaborating and partnering question (I still don't see how it fits into the indicators) and scored a 3 for it as I used a hypothetical example.

I also found collaborating & partnering difficult, as the question posed just didn't seem to relate to the competency being tested. I had a few examples prepared but none of them covered that particular question. I racked my brains and gave an example that was vaguely related but at the end I said "I don't think I've answered that very well" and one of the panel members said "is that because of the way the question is framed?" When I said yes they both just nodded, as if they didn't see how it fitted with collaborating & partnering either!

In any case, I scored 6,6,4 and I'm now in post. Good luck if you're still waiting on results.
Original post by memoryfish
Obviously... Just trying to give an example of what the working pattern could potentially be that's all...

I'm not being rude I'm just confused why you'd tell examples of work patterns for a completely different job lol
I'm not being rude I'm just confused why you'd tell examples of work patterns for a completely different job lol

Just to give an idea of a potential working pattern to an external candidate.... Hmrc as a whole are working to availability between 8-8 and Saturdays. Hope that clears up your confusion.
Just to give an idea of a potential working pattern to an external candidate.... Hmrc as a whole are working to availability between 8-8 and Saturdays. Hope that clears up your confusion.

Ok. Well to share what I've experienced, I know nobody in a caseworker environment in my building that does anything other than the 7am - 6pm hours Mon-Fri and the majority of my building is caseworkers. The only weekend/evening work is planned covert activity for test eats and all that.

I'm a HO for income tax and been so for around 1yr 2 months now and have never been told what hours I have to do - I manage my own timeframe and flexi sheets to suit myself. I would assume, unless your manager is a micro-manager type, that you will have the same flexibility.
Ok. Well to share what I've experienced, I know nobody in a caseworker environment in my building that does anything other than the 7am - 6pm hours Mon-Fri and the majority of my building is caseworkers. The only weekend/evening work is planned covert activity for test eats and all that.

I'm a HO for income tax and been so for around 1yr 2 months now and have never been told what hours I have to do - I manage my own timeframe and flexi sheets to suit myself. I would assume, unless your manager is a micro-manager type, that you will have the same flexibility.

Which office are you in?
Which office are you in?

Custom House Belfast
Custom House Belfast

That's where I have an offer for. Do you enjoy the work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1209
Original post by Doll Parts
I also found collaborating & partnering difficult, as the question posed just didn't seem to relate to the competency being tested. I had a few examples prepared but none of them covered that particular question. I racked my brains and gave an example that was vaguely related but at the end I said "I don't think I've answered that very well" and one of the panel members said "is that because of the way the question is framed?" When I said yes they both just nodded, as if they didn't see how it fitted with collaborating & partnering either!

In any case, I scored 6,6,4 and I'm now in post. Good luck if you're still waiting on results.

Cheers.

Good to see that the interviewers think it's a rubbish question too.

I managed to get my scores from someone in HR for the latest interview and scored 6,5,6 so I certainly did well this time after learning from last time :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jamz115
That's where I have an offer for. Do you enjoy the work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I really do and the people who work there are extremely welcoming.

It's a beautiful building on the outside but don't expect much for the inside lol like any other office needing a facelift lol

It's a beautiful building on the outside but don't expect much for the inside lol like any other office needing a facelift lol

That's good. I've no experience of the Civil service at all so don't know what to expect as it will be a completely different culture to what I've done up to now in retail and the service sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1212

Sorry if I've missed this in among all the posts to this/other threads. But why are you involved with these campaigns if you have been an ho caseworker for 1.5 years??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GNH
Sorry if I've missed this in among all the posts to this/other threads. But why are you involved with these campaigns if you have been an ho caseworker for 1.5 years??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've 4 friends waiting for news on this recruitment campaign so I keep an eye on this. But at times I do answer questions or give info that people might need. I read the graduate forum as well.
I've 4 friends waiting for news on this recruitment campaign so I keep an eye on this. But at times I do answer questions or give info that people might need. I read the graduate forum as well.

Wag1 fam, just wondering if you could give a little insight into the day-to-day life of a HO? And confirm whether you were able to choose income tax as your area of work? Just curious because I've been reading a lot of employee reviews and it doesn't seem that encouraging - but most have been from AOs.Also, just a general message out to all the external applicant mandem, would really appreciate if you could post when you receive feedback on your interviews or any offers. These recruitment dons are taking man for some donkeys still.Safe
Original post by PabloPatron
Wag1 fam, just wondering if you could give a little insight into the day-to-day life of a HO? And confirm whether you were able to choose income tax as your area of work? Just curious because I've been reading a lot of employee reviews and it doesn't seem that encouraging - but most have been from AOs.Also, just a general message out to all the external applicant mandem, would really appreciate if you could post when you receive feedback on your interviews or any offers. These recruitment dons are taking man for some donkeys still.Safe

I'm just thinking it varies from office to office tbh. I've been offered in Belfast and most people are saying everyone is pleasant and welcoming there so it probably just depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1216
Original post by PabloPatron

You don't get to choose the area you go into. I was lucky and got one I'm very happy with in Small and Medium businesses. I would have hated VAT for instance.
Original post by Smaack
You don't get to choose the area you go into. I was lucky and got one I'm very happy with in Small and Medium businesses. I would have hated VAT for instance.

Id imagine though where you are put will match your skill set as some areas are more challenging than others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Id imagine though where you are put will match your skill set as some areas are more challenging than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

No buddy they literally say "I need 20 in VAT" and they go and put 20 on the list.
Custom House Belfast

Where is Custom House in Belfast mate? Wellington Place wheree the interviews took place, or somewhere else?

Latest

Trending

Trending