The Student Room Group

Further maths

Guys I wanted to ask if I could just take the FP1,2 and 3 exam only? Also I wanted to ask if I took AS level maths and did fp1,m1 and m2, could I take fp1 and m1 in the first year and then take M2 in the second year? I don't want to take the whole further maths because our school doesnt offer it and I live in hk so we dont have any help and im gonna have to self study and I dont want to do that coz im already taking too many subs (math,physics,chemistry and business) also AS further maths (FP1,2&3 or FP1,M1,M2)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apdhillon15
Guys I wanted to ask if I could just take the FP1,2 and 3 exam only? Also I wanted to ask if I took AS level maths and did fp1,m1 and m2, could I take fp1 and m1 in the first year and then take M2 in the second year? I don't want to take the whole further maths because our school doesnt offer it and I live in hk so we dont have any help and im gonna have to self study and I dont want to do that coz im already taking too many subs (math,physics,chemistry and business) also AS further maths (FP1,2&3 or FP1,M1,M2)

You can't take FP modules into normal maths. Also you can't do FP2 and FP3 as part of AS FM as they are A2 modules. You can do FP1, M1 and S1/D1 if you wish.
Reply 2
Dudeee.... u can take pure maths (C1-4, FP1, FP2 OR FP3). And I asked this question before and they said I can take FP1-3 and cash it in as AS level further maths
Reply 3
Im taking maths (C1-4,S1,D1) and further maths seperately, also could u tell me if I can take FP1 and M1 in the first year ans then M2 in the second year??
Dudeee.... u can take pure maths (C1-4, FP1, FP2 OR FP3). And I asked this question before and they said I can take FP1-3 and cash it in as AS level further maths

You can't. Further Pure modules STAY in Further Maths, they do not mix with Core 1-4. FP2/FP3 are A2 modules so you cannot have them for AS FM. Simple as that. What exam board are you?
Reply 5
*and
Im taking maths (C1-4,S1,D1) and further maths seperately, also could u tell me if I can take FP1 and M1 in the first year ans then M2 in the second year??

Yes you can.
Reply 7
Mate... im taking edexcel, go check the specification there's smth called pure maths, legit
Mate... im taking edexcel, go check the specification there's smth called pure maths, legit

Pure maths just means Pure Core modules, ie C1-4.

Just go with C1-4, D1, S1 (MATHS) and FP1, M1, M2 (FM) because you can forget about FP2/FP3 if you're not taking A2 FM.
Reply 9
Dude u still didnt answer my question...
I asked if I could do fp1 and m1 in the first year and then m2 in the second year???
Reply 10
Original post by RDKGames
Pure maths just means Pure Core modules, ie C1-4.

Just go with C1-4, D1, S1 (MATHS) and FP1, M1, M2 (FM) because you can forget about FP2/FP3 if you're not taking A2 FM.

I believe there actually is a qualification with Edexcel called pure mathematics, AS it requires C1, C2, C3 and A2 it requires C4, FP1 and one of FP2/FP3. Has the cash in code 9373 and is on the Edexcel specification on page 8.
Reply 11
Dude u still didnt answer my question...
I asked if I could do fp1 and m1 in the first year and then m2 in the second year???

He did.
Yes you can.
Reply 12
Oh sorryy... im so sorry, i didnt see that part...soz
You can do FP1, FP2 and FP3 for AS further maths along with maths, it's the hardest combination though, as FP2 and FP3 are A2 modules. If you take the AS modules over 2 years, you will still get the AS qualification. If you want to do pure maths, don't sit any application modules.
Original post by Eden00
I believe there actually is a qualification with Edexcel called pure mathematics, AS it requires C1, C2, C3 and A2 it requires C4, FP1 and one of FP2/FP3. Has the cash in code 9373 and is on the Edexcel specification on page 8.

Really? Well I always found Edexcel awkward when it comes to maths so that doesn't surprise me. Soon they'll probably have one just for applied modules at this rate.
Reply 15
Really?!??!!? I can do FP1,2 and 3 for AS??? OH THANK GOD!!! THANKS DUDE!!!
Reply 16
Really? Well I always found Edexcel awkward when it comes to maths so that doesn't surprise me. Soon they'll probably have one just for applied modules at this rate.

Yeah. I mean, I don't know how well it is actually recognised, I assume not very well compared to maths/further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NotNotBatman
You can do FP1, FP2 and FP3 for AS further maths along with maths, it's the hardest combination though, as FP2 and FP3 are A2 modules. If you take the AS modules over 2 years, you will still get the AS qualification. If you want to do pure maths, don't sit any application modules.

How can he take 2 strict A2 modules and make them count for an AS qualification??? That makes no sense as 66% of the modules in that combination would be counted for A2. Unless Edexcel is just being extremely awkward with this.
Reply 18
How can he take 2 strict A2 modules and make them count for an AS qualification??? That makes no sense as 66% of the modules in that combination would be counted for A2. Unless Edexcel is just being extremely awkward with this.

I agree that they are being weird with this, on the spec it says for AS FM:
Compulsory Units: FP1
Optional: Any (excluding cores)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also you can't do FP2 and FP3 as part of AS FM as they are A2 modules.

Pure maths just means Pure Core modules, ie C1.

Please don't give out incorrect information.

Pure Maths A level consists of C1 - 4, FP1 and either FP2 or FP3.
AS FM can be FP1 - 3.

These are true for OCR as well as Edexcel (I haven't checked AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest