The Student Room Group

You can't be shy and timid anymore to get far in life....

Thanks to social media, there is no place for shy and timid people anymore particularly introverts.

But if you look throughout history the most successful, intellectual and artistic people were shy and timid. Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson were very shy and quiet men behind the scenes. Lionel Messi is also shy and reserved. I honestly don't think you need to be loud to make a noise. But the way things are going soon they'll be no place for shy people. Nowadays you need to be out there, extrovert, attention seeking, exhibitionist and in your face as evidenced by the success of crappy reality shows such as Geordie shore,love island and loudmouth extrovert z list celebs etc.on top of that you always need to look good and dress well all the time.

In these times, just look at uni the quiet shy person that prefers to stay in hardly makes or has any friends anymore. Also when I was at work, my manager was giving a girl crap about being too quiet and shy, she said "you can't be like that". I'm also a shy introvert person and although I get my work done with excellent quality and productivity, on my report she knocked off marks saying I was too shy and that I need to get more involved. Seriously, as long as I get what I'm paid to do and do it well, who really cares. We need different personalities or the world would be a boring place.

Plus, being shy and timid allows you to spend more time on your craft rather than going out every night partying.

Audrey Hepburn, Richard Branson, Johny Depp, Abraham Lincoln were all famously shy quiet people and valued their privacy. The only recent popular celebs I can think of that are shy and introverts and can get away with it are Adele and Mark Zuckerberg.

There is no place for shy people anymore and it's a shame. This also goes for relationships, I'm surprised to see the number of men that go for loud chatty fake attention seeking high maintenance girls over nice well mannered shy Girls. Nice girls finish last too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I see what you mean, nowadays I don't "fit in personally" with any of the companies I get interviews with (despite having proven skill), yet I don't have any ideas of my own or know anybody with ideas but are in need of IT expertise :/

plus I tick people right off with whatever I dare to speak about anyways...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Grow a pair instead of labeling yourself as shy like its a disability
I'm pretty sure I've had marks taken off my coursework projects in the past because I've been quiet and not fully involved. My tutor in university actually criticised me for not making the required effort in class because I did not constantly shout out the answer like everyone else and preferred to observe in silence at the back. Unless it's a requirement to contribute, for example working in a team or on a group project, then I see no reason why displaying extroverted qualities is essential.
Reply 4
Shy is good in some circumstances. But social skills are very important. Having your head in your book 24/7 without being openly inquisitive or having confidence puts people off. Especially employers in interview settings. I know so many academic people who smash exams but crumble with human interaction. I know being timid is a part of some people's personality but it's all about being a well rounded person.
Reply 5
Original post by legithawt

I said nothing like that. All I'm saying is being shy is seen as a massive flaw and disadvantage nowadays whether at school, university, getting jobs, relationships or at work. But imo, it's a big shame because throughout history the most intelligent, successful and artistic people have been shy and timid.

Everyone is sheep. Nobody has personality anymore. We're all encouraged to look the same and act the same. To be successful these days, you can't be shy and quiet anymore. For example, I'm one of the highest performers at work but ended up with the lowest performance grade, all because I'm shy. While others that have poor quality and productivity ended up getting higher marks than me only because they're chatty, suck up to the manager, lick everyone's a$$ and get involved in discussions. I'm at work to do my job and I do it well. It's important to be and look confident ,but what's wrong with being quietly confident?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sarahsez
Thanks to social media, there is no place for shy and timid people anymore particularly introverts.

But if you look throughout history the most successful, intellectual and artistic people were shy and timid. Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson were very shy and quiet men behind the scenes. Lionel Messi is also shy and reserved. I honestly don't think you need to be loud to make a noise. But the way things are going soon they'll be no place for shy people. Nowadays you need to be out there, extrovert, attention seeking, exhibitionist and in your face as evidenced by the success of crappy reality shows such as Geordie shore,love island and loudmouth extrovert z list celebs etc.on top of that you always need to look good and dress well all the time.

In these times, just look at uni the quiet shy person that prefers to stay in hardly makes or has any friends anymore. Also when I was at work, my manager was giving a girl crap about being too quiet and shy, she said "you can't be like that". I'm also a shy introvert person and although I get my work done with excellent quality and productivity, on my report she knocked off marks saying I was too shy and that I need to get more involved. Seriously, as long as I get what I'm paid to do and do it well, who really cares. We need different personalities or the world would be a boring place.

Plus, being shy and timid allows you to spend more time on your craft rather than going out every night partying.

Audrey Hepburn, Richard Branson, Johny Depp, Abraham Lincoln were all famously shy quiet people and valued their privacy. The only recent popular celebs I can think of that are shy and introverts and can get away with it are Adele and Mark Zuckerberg.

There is no place for shy people anymore and it's a shame. This also goes for relationships, I'm surprised to see the number of men that go for loud chatty fake attention seeking high maintenance girls over nice well mannered shy Girls. Nice girls finish last too.

Please marry me?

I think we share a philosophy.

Why are you implying that introverted people are superior to extroverted ones?
Reply 8
Original post by Rhaenys10
Why are you implying that introverted people are superior to extroverted ones?

Don't get it twisted. None of them are superior. But in everyday life particularly the recent generation, introverted people are under appreciated and less valued.

Tom Hiddelstone is an Eton Cambridge educated Shakespearean actor who is known to be very private and quiet but recently, all for publicity he embarrassed himself in front of the world. He's made a right fool of himself and all for publicity. Could you imagine Daniel Craig doing that?

But Tom knows that's how it is now and any exposure is good, you just need to get yourself out there. He may have looked like a fool but his profile has been raised now.
I don't know exactly how much you talk to people at work, whether you just say hi to your managers or whether you have one to one conversations with certain people or whether you actually stand in a group contributing to discussions about whatever, but come on.. How hard is it to do the last one? That's all you need to do... I'm a quiet and shy introvert in places like work myself but I still have no problem contributing to a discussion. If you sit at the back of the room tho just reading something or on your phone, then yes that is bad and no there is no place for anyone like that

the quiet shy person that prefers to stay in hardly makes or has any friends anymore.

Of course not, because why would anyone approach them if they feel they're not going to start or hold a conversation with them? Why would you take someone to a party thinking they're just going to stand at the back on their phone or just not enjoying themselves?

I know all about being shy and I emphasise with shy people, but come on. It's not rocket science. Your teachers are taking marks off you for being quiet so it's clear what you need to do, and if you do it then they'll be happy with you, no matter how awkward you think it is or how you think you look.
Reply 10
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Please marry me?

I think we share a philosophy.

Shy guy ? :biggrin:
Shy guy ? :biggrin:

Yes very shy :tongue:
Write an app and earn your millions without ever leaving your parents basement
I feel that there is a lot of stigma in society towards shy and timid people, with shyness being seen as a disadvantage in both education and the workplace that holds you back from fulfilling your true potential etc. I'm a very timid, reserved and shy person myself and would prefer to go to the library and study over going out partying any time. :tongue: Based purely on my shyness, I've had many people tell me that I'll never be able to achieve my dreams and true potential and have been bullied in the past for it. Quite a few of my shy friends also feel that they have to put on a mask in order to fit in be accepted for who they are.

It is very strange as in my mother's culture, being shy and reserved is held in a positive light. For that reason, I've always felt that I have more of a place in her culture than here.
Original post by legithawt

this ^

I'm shy, quiet and introverted... I make friends, did fine at uni, have a boyfriend and have got on fine in every workplace... to an extent you have to accept we live in a social world and that means you have to compromise a little bit and make an effort to get by in life - that doesn't mean you have to be a different person or be super loud and outgoing
Reply 15
Original post by TimidPhoenix
I feel that there is a lot of stigma in society towards shy and timid people, with shyness being seen as a disadvantage in both education and the workplace that holds you back from fulfilling your true potential etc. I'm a very timid, reserved and shy person myself and would prefer to go to the library and study over going out partying any time. :tongue: Based purely on my shyness, I've had many people tell me that I'll never be able to achieve my dreams and true potential and have been bullied in the past for it. Quite a few of my shy friends also feel that they have to put on a mask in order to fit in be accepted for who they are.

It is very strange as in my mother's culture, being shy and reserved is held in a positive light. For that reason, I've always felt that I have more of a place in her culture than here.

Is that Asian culture?
Reply 16

As an ex-shy person I disagree with this. Well of course the world isn't made for shy people when industries require you to be confident and outspoken.
And I think confident people can dedicate alot of their time into their craft and alot of them are not interested in partying
The world's a lot nicer and brighter place when you come out your box:smile:
Is that Asian culture?

Yes.
Reply 18
Im very shy but i have improved a lot over the last few years. The only thing i wish i was better at is presenting in front of lots of people.
Original post by TimidPhoenix

I'm the same I'm probably at the most introverted end of the scale you can get. I think being female comes with certain challenges (not saying that male introverts don't) in that I always feel that I'm expected to be chatting and laughing and with a group of girls. This has never been the case I'm very much a loner more often than not I'm on my own. When I do engage in activities with others (I run/do athletic events regularly) people tend to ask what's up, say I look fed up/tired even though Im often in a good mood lol. People often tell others that I'm 'offish' with them even though I do try. Also when girls get upset I hate it because I don't hug them and instead just end up trying to talk things through in a 'cold' way. But yes I know what you mean about parties/clubs they just make me tired/give me headache I would rather study too or listen to or if I'm feeling a little high listen to music with headphones on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending