The Student Room Group

iPhone 7 / Apple Watch Series 2 - Apple Event September

Scroll to see replies

With all due respect, the iPhone 7 had 10,000,000 SKUs ready for preorder yesterday. They all sold out in 20 seconds flat, that's right, 10,000,000 iPhone 7's were sold in 20 seconds flat. This lead to them running out of stock in 20 seconds.

Normally they have about 20 million ready for pre-order but this year the amount is down due to part yields.

The last 5 phones I have had have been iPhones. I don't think it is a good idea buying this particular iPhone. Phone manufacturers in the 2000's decided to get rid of headphone jacks, and no one liked it, so they brought them back. Apple will most likely do the same with 2018s iteration of the iPhone.

That being said, I will not be buying another iPhone till I get the headphone jack back. My 6s is fast enough to last me at least the next 2 years without problems.
Original post by Aydin7
The opposite, going from a 5 the jump is massive since i get the 6 features, but i don't think 6->7 is that different.

That's exactly what I was saying. It's your opinion, for others it's worth it.
lmao, so glad I got an iPhone 6s before the iPhone 7 came out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Computer Geek
With all due respect, the iPhone 7 had 10,000,000 SKUs ready for preorder yesterday. They all sold out in 20 seconds flat, that's right, 10,000,000 iPhone 7's were sold in 20 seconds flat. This lead to them running out of stock in 20 seconds.

Normally they have about 20 million ready for pre-order but this year the amount is down due to part yields.

The last 5 phones I have had have been iPhones. I don't think it is a good idea buying this particular iPhone. Phone manufacturers in the 2000's decided to get rid of headphone jacks, and no one liked it, so they brought them back. Apple will most likely do the same with 2018s iteration of the iPhone.

That being said, I will not be buying another iPhone till I get the headphone jack back. My 6s is fast enough to last me at least the next 2 years without problems.

Totally agree with you, my 6 will do until the headphone jack comes back
If the Airpod comes with the IPhone 7, the responses would have be very different.
Original post by Blimey1000
If the Airpod comes with the IPhone 7, the responses would have be very different.

Doubt that, they're a massive waste of money if anything. People assume that Apple's EarPods are the gold standard of audio when really they just sound like absolute crap. That + bluetooth transmission? The audio quality will be shockingly bad.

This doesn't even take into account that they look like you have electric toothbrush heads shoved in your ears
Losing the headphone jack won't hurt Apple in the slightest. They're not idiots, they will have been scrutinising the market and available data for years before settling firmly on this decision. Bluetooth headphones are becoming increasingly better sounding, popular, and affordable, and Apple now own what is (unfortunately) the largest headphone brand in the world by a substantial margin, which they can use to supply the majority of their target audience with a range of compatible devices. Not to mention Lightning headphones have been catching on with third party brands ranging from household names like Philips all the way through to firmly enthusiast brands like Audeze. Combine all that with bundled support for what they now consider a "legacy" technology in the form of the 3.5mm adaptor, and their bases are well and truly covered. Apple aren't the only brand going down this road either- Motorola removed the headphone jack from their latest Moto Z flagships.

So putting aside the lack of the headphone jack, it's a really solid upgrade. Water resistance, a new camera, stereo speakers and improved power and power efficiency are all very nice additions. 6/6S owners may not be tempted by such a cosmetically similar phone, but upgrading annually/bi-anually is a fairly unnecessary thing to do anyway considering Apple's consistently solid support lifecycles. For anyone coming from earlier generations, it's a substantial enough change to warrant choosing over the more affordable 6/6S models, if budget can accommodate.
(edited 7 years ago)
You mean like how everybody wanted to lose all the ports on a laptop, despite everybody but the fanboys saying it's one of the stupidest things they've ever seen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lawyer3c
The jet black iPhone 7 Plus starts at £820.

The (non-jet black) 7 starts at £600, when in previous years it has started at £540.

The price is very off-putting.

Only cause the pound is so weak :frown: Apple said themselves it will be the same price as the 6s which is true for the US prices but unfortunately the UK ones don't follow suit :/
Original post by honour
No. Apple's Bluetooth headphones,"AirPods", won't be everyone's cup of tea. I reckon there will be a huge increase in the demand for iPhone 6S

Yeh I just bought the 6S off eBay the other day lol
Original post by bubblegumcat
lmao, so glad I got an iPhone 6s before the iPhone 7 came out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I've ordered one off eBay lol
Reply 151
Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean like how everybody wanted to lose all the ports on a laptop, despite everybody but the fanboys saying it's one of the stupidest things they've ever seen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use my laptop a lot. In the past year, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had more than one thing plugged into it. Though I won't be buying a standard MacBook any time soon (it doesn't have enough power), the lack of ports isn't really an issue unless you're using the machine as a desktop replacement.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

People are buying it, they're making a shedload of money. That's all they care about.
So much for wanting to be innovative, I really would not be surprised if the 2015 macbook was made purely for the idiots that would blindly buy it and so their fanboys could rave about how a phone benchmarks better than a laptop that immediately thermal throttles hard on an already lowballing CPU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
Original post by Computer Geek

In the early 2000s, very few aspects of the technology were good enough to warrant losing the headphone jack (a decades old component that's only feature is bettered by the lightning port):

issues with retaining audio quality over bluetooth

sizing down technology to fit in decently sized wireless headphones

battery density/quality has improved a fair amount in the last decade

a lot of companies never had the headphone jack in their devices before the iPhone and iPod, they used proprietary connectors

Reply 155
FWIW, I have a 6S Plus 128GB and a space black Apple Watch (stainless steel), I don't warrant upgrading either of these devices to the new iterations of the iPhone or the Watch...

Removal of the headphone jack to help attain the water resistant seal of approval (pun not intended lol) I don't think there's enough features that are exclusive to the iPhone 7 alone that make me want to upgrade. Though the dual camera option is quite cool, as is the click mimicking new home button to help with waterproofing the device.

As for the new Watch, it effectively is more waterproof, has standalone GPS (doesn't apply to me), faster processor and a brighter screen... again, nothing to entice 1st gen watch owners into upgrading, unless they're quite an active runner and want to leave their iPhone at home. For anyone else though, I think that these devices are great upgrade/purchase options
Why do people preorder? I'm planning on going to the Apple store sometime after the 16th to buy the 7 plus there - will they have any in stock or do I need to preorder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SP0TIFY
In the early 2000s, very few aspects of the technology were good enough to warrant losing the headphone jack (a decades old component that's only feature is bettered by the lightning port):

issues with retaining audio quality over bluetooth

sizing down technology to fit in decently sized wireless headphones

battery density/quality has improved a fair amount in the last decade

a lot of companies never had the headphone jack in their devices before the iPhone and iPod, they used proprietary connectors

The problem is the technology still isn't good enough. There just isn't enough bandwidth over bluetooth to outright replace 3.5mm. Lightning accessories won't sell, and this kind of move is just going to force people to move away from Apple. They just think they're courageous tho, so the joke will be on them in a few years for deviating away from standards and attempting to lock their users into their proprietary accessories.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending