The Student Room Group

Does walking in to stores and handing over a CV ever help get you a job?

I have been trying this for a good while. I look at there websites and they claim to have no spaces show at stores near me so I go to there store and hand them a CV but never get asked for a interview and jobs seem so hard to get near me that I resort to this.

I need a job so I can get some bus fair together for college every weekday as my 55 year old dad is refusing to pay for any bus fair and for obvious reasons I need to get to college.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I have been trying this for a good while. I look at there websites and they claim to have no spaces show at stores near me so I go to there store and hand them a CV but never get asked for a interview and jobs seem so hard to get near me that I resort to this.

I need a job so I can get some bus fair together for college every weekday as my 55 year old dad is refusing to pay for any bus fair and for obvious reasons I need to get to college.

It's about the most ineffective way to get a job, but that's not to say it never works. Better would be to talk round town one Saturday looking for signs in shop windows asking for staff. Then go home and tailor a CV to that specific shop ie highlighting your skill with/interest in fashion, pets, DIY etc.
Erm....if you see they're not adverting and hand it in anyway, then of course it's very unlikely you'll get asked back for an interview; because they're not hiring. If someone comes in with the CV into the store I work in and we're not hiring, it gets shredded. Most job advertisements are online now, but some still advertise through the window. That's when you should go in store and hand them your CV AND covering letter. I can't stress the covering letter enough!

It depends. When I was 16 back in 2007 most places still accepted CVs as applications; I gave out 4 and they all turned into job offers.
When I was working in my first retail job during college and uni I realised nearly all places have moved on with the times of 'going online' malarky and their recruitment processes have changed dramatically throughout the years, making online applications imperative.
Original post by Boreism
It depends. When I was 16 back in 2007 most places still accepted CVs as applications; I gave out 4 and they all turned into job offers.
When I was working in my first retail job during college and uni I realised nearly all places have moved on with the times of 'going online' malarky and their recruitment processes have changed dramatically throughout the years, making online applications imperative.

I agree.

Quite a few places now are starting to have signs in the windows for xmas temps. I know they are only temporary but its a job for now (and you never know, you could get took on permanent). They usually say in the sign in the window how to apply (e.g. go in for an application form).
Also look on sites such as indeed.com
If you're good looking or have a defining feature they might be interested in that you could only really express through seeing them face to face.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.

Its not just the applicant's CV thats important but personal appearance is also imperative, as its always about first impressions when applying for a job.
Reply 8
You need a job right? Just walk up to any independent restaurant or cafe, ask them if they'd like any extra help and tell them when you can start. Most of the time they'll probably ask for your CV AFTER you start (for your details) as there is always demand for waiters etc.
Yeah it does work as this is exactly how I got the job I am currently in. Around this time last year I really needed a job so went around handing CV's in. I was called for a few interviews however they were not interested as I was inexperienced. But at one store, I handed in my CV and immediately the sales assistant went to get the manager. The manager had a quick look at my CV and asked if I was available to do an interview there and then. They then offered me a position as a temporary sales assistant. A year on and I now have a permanent position at the store, love my job and have made some great friends! Don't give up! You'll find something, good luck :smile:
It depends on the company/store. I applied through the web portal that we have, but that's not to say that I've had people hand me CVs and ask if this can be handed to the manager, or whether there's any vacancies going.

[I should note that I'm a Sales Assistant, and that I'm 18]

What I've found works best that makes an impression is to have a look at each company/store's policy, but don't be afraid to wander into a store and ask! Just make sure that you're speaking so someone who can help. Ask for the manager/assistant manager, if they're free and introduce yourself. Handing in your CV is all well and good, but if when the manager is looking over your CV and goes 'Oh, yeah, <NAME HERE>, I remember him/her when he/she said hello to me' makes a massive difference.

I've seen far too many people drop a CV onto our counter and walk out. For some companies/stores, this is OK, but where I work, we don't do things like that. We want to see that you want to work for the company and our customers, not for the money.

Sorry for the long post.

It worked for me. There was a poster and I walked in with my CV and got called for an interview the next day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If its a small shop owned by a family/single person then it would be good. However, if its a major store like PC world/Tesco then in most cases their recruitment process begins online for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
I gave in my CV to Burger King cause they had a sign in the window saying they needed staff and I got the job about a week later, so maybe try handing it in to your local Burger King ??
Applying online, I got a job interview for Arsenal and McDonalds.Handing in CVs, I managed to get a job interview for Clarks, Cex, Papa Johns, this retail place I forgot the name of and Foot Asylum. I now work at Clarks. It doesn't work for everyone though. My best friend handed in CVs on Oxford Street and got 0 calls back. I think the benefit of handing in CVs is that it's more personal. Whereas behind a computer screen, it's quick to send a rejection email. Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending