The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sw1981
Where is Custom House in Belfast mate? Wellington Place wheree the interviews took place, or somewhere else?

It's near where the Albert clock is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1221
Original post by Jamz115
Id imagine though where you are put will match your skill set as some areas are more challenging than others

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Trainee Acc said, no. If that was the case they should have out me on VAT duty. Thank god they didnt though. I specifically spoke about this in my interview, and they went over the different areas, but said I had no control and you would be assigned one randomly.
Original post by Jamz115
It's near where the Albert clock is

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a question here about these DBS checks, as I've just received an email asking me to complete one along with a health form. When it asks do you have any criminal convictions, does that mean just any that are deemed as 'unspent' or must you declare anything that has happened in the past? This is the part that I've been worried about all along! :-(
Original post by sw1981
I have a question here about these DBS checks, as I've just received an email asking me to complete one along with a health form. When it asks do you have any criminal convictions, does that mean just any that are deemed as 'unspent' or must you declare anything that has happened in the past? This is the part that I've been worried about all along! :-(

I've received the same email. My passport has expired so I can't enter that in get ... At the interview they said that wasn't a problem though so I font know why it is now. Il probably have to spend £100 to fast track a quick one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw1981

Difficult to know. You are probably better declaring them all because honesty is the best policy. Unless it specifically stated unspent then it's best to list them all as you would probably fail if you only listed some and there were more discovered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whenever you click the little info button it pops up and says that its unspent convictions. I already had this conversation with civil servants at a local job centre, and told them what I had done, and when I had done it. They assured me that I would be absolutely fine and not to worry about it. They told me that if it was going to go against me I would not even have received any sort of correspondence from them whatsoever. Did we not have to declare records and bring them to interview? I'm almost certain we did.
Original post by sw1981
Whenever you click the little info button it pops up and says that its unspent convictions. I already had this conversation with civil servants at a local job centre, and told them what I had done, and when I had done it. They assured me that I would be absolutely fine and not to worry about it. They told me that if it was going to go against me I would not even have received any sort of correspondence from them whatsoever. Did we not have to declare records and bring them to interview? I'm almost certain we did.

We did but it's asking do you a valid passport Yes or No. I think at interview you only had to show 1 primary piece of evidence . Passport or Driving licence photocard and I showed driving licence photocard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
We did but it's asking do you a valid passport Yes or No. I think at interview you only had to show 1 primary piece of evidence . Passport or Driving licence photocard and I showed driving licence photocard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I just got a new passport about a month ago as was hoping to maybe visit America next year. (If I can conquer my fear of aeroplanes! Lol) Yes, just checked the forms we had to bring to interview that time, and I definitely declared my records, but they would actually class as unspent now due to the time ago they occurred. (That's what the civils in the local job centre told me anyhow when I asked about it) I am going to take the risk and say 'No' as clearly they are already aware of what I had previously done, and if it was an issue, I wouldn't even be at this stage, surely?
Original post by sw1981
Yes, I just got a new passport about a month ago as was hoping to maybe visit America next year. (If I can conquer my fear of aeroplanes! Lol) Yes, just checked the forms we had to bring to interview that time, and I definitely declared my records, but they would actually class as unspent now due to the time ago they occurred. (That's what the civils in the local job centre told me anyhow when I asked about it) I am going to take the risk and say 'No' as clearly they are already aware of what I had previously done, and if it was an issue, I wouldn't even be at this stage, surely?

Yea but it's government so don't forget how serious it's taken though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Yea but it's government so don't forget how serious it's taken though

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I did was not too serious...I didn't murder anyone! Lol. Like I said, when I explained all to the ones in the Jobcentre, and they're all civies don't forget, they actually laughed and told me not to worry due to it being such a time ago. But I already declared everything going to interview, so surely they are even classing what I done as 'spent' or I wouldn't even have received a provisional offer?
Original post by sw1981
What I did was not too serious...I didn't murder anyone! Lol. Like I said, when I explained all to the ones in the Jobcentre, and they're all civies don't forget, they actually laughed and told me not to worry due to it being such a time ago. But I already declared everything going to interview, so surely they are even classing what I done as 'spent' or I wouldn't even have received a provisional offer?

Yea don't forget though that those in the job centres are NI Civil servants of the NI Civil service. HMRC is part of UK Civil service and they take security etc very very seriously but you should be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw1981

Lol I'm one of them people in the Jobcentre and I can tell you that they don't really know about how this process works in terms of DBS checks... I'm sure you won't have to declare a spent conviction because I'm sure it's just basic disclosure that Hmrc will be requesting but to get further clarification I would call up the recruitment team/CSR ... Does anyone have the number they can PM over to me? I need to call them myself
Original post by memoryfish
Lol I'm one of them people in the Jobcentre and I can tell you that they don't really know about how this process works in terms of DBS checks... I'm sure you won't have to declare a spent conviction because I'm sure it's just basic disclosure that Hmrc will be requesting but to get further clarification I would call up the recruitment team/CSR ... Does anyone have the number they can PM over to me? I need to call them myself

Aye, that would be an extremely helpful deed if someone had that number! Lol. Also, the DBS form asks for your driving license number and the information tab brings up this waffle about the first 5 characters should be the first 5 letters of your surname, then dribble about date of birth and stuff, carrying on up to about 18 characters. No offence to them, but my driving license number is about 7 numbers long at most, and that's it! Anyone? Lol

It's asking do you have a valid passport. My passport has expired. Can I say no or will that mess up the application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw1981
Aye, that would be an extremely helpful deed if someone had that number! Lol. Also, the DBS form asks for your driving license number and the information tab brings up this waffle about the first 5 characters should be the first 5 letters of your surname, then dribble about date of birth and stuff, carrying on up to about 18 characters. No offence to them, but my driving license number is about 7 numbers long at most, and that's it! Anyone? Lol

Yeh if you look at your licence before the number will be your surname...so your driving licence 'number' is the whole thing including ur surname.
Original post by Jamz115
It's asking do you have a valid passport. My passport has expired. Can I say no or will that mess up the application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure about that one, just wait until tomorrow I'm waiting for DeltaGuy to send me the number for CSR so we can call them lol...
Not sure about that one, just wait until tomorrow I'm waiting for DeltaGuy to send me the number for CSR so we can call them lol...

0300 0200 190
That's the number for DBS themselves. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Not open today...Monday to Friday 08:00-18:00. Think they would be the best option to solve all our issues. Lol. :-)
Original post by sw1981
0300 0200 190
That's the number for DBS themselves. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Not open today...Monday to Friday 08:00-18:00. Think they would be the best option to solve all our issues. Lol. :-)

Yea a delay in a day or 2 submitting those forms won't delay the whole process that much longer than it already will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Yea a delay in a day or 2 submitting those forms won't delay the whole process that much longer than it already will be

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the longest part is perhaps them checking your referees, although I could be wrong! Lol. I'm putting the lot out of my head until tomorrow...will go and see the doctor, see if he's happy enough to go with my medical form, then ring DBS and get clarification on this 'spent' or 'unspent' conviction thing, then it's away! :-) I still have to find my passport ffs! Lol. I've sweated and worried enough since last December over this caper, so am not going to let it annoy me anymore...if it's meant to be, it will be! :-)
Original post by sw1981

As they are doing Standard level Disclosures these will show all spent and unspent offences, therefore I'd recommend you disclose prior to them receiving the certificate.

Roles in HMRC are classed as 'Exempted Professions' so they can ask for the full criminal record including spent offences.

Latest

Trending

Trending