The Student Room Group

EU Student Loans

Hello everyone,

I am a thought student at Leicester University.
I am struggling to understand if is possible to apply for a postgraduate loan since I don't live in the UK, and I don't have an english bank account (yet).

My deadline is this 20th of September, so I'd love to know something more before this moment.
I submitted my request through the Student Finance Account and I got a confirmation via email as well.

The point is, when I check the summary it said that it will take from 4 - 6 weeks to process my application and that they will contact me by post when this has been done, but if I look at the main page it's reported that my status is NOT ELIGIBLE FOR STUDENT FINANCE.

All this, asking me to submit a signed declaration form, which is not available from my page.

At first, I though it was because my course is a distance learning course. However, on the University website it's clearly written that I am eligible even if I am following a DL course and that I don't have to live in the UK if I have been living in the EU for the past three years.

Any help would be much appreciated, so thank you in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alaska_
Hello everyone,

I am a thought student at Leicester University.
I am struggling to understand if is possible to apply for a postgraduate loan since I don't live in the UK, and I don't have an english bank account (yet).

My deadline is this 20th of September, so I'd love to know something more before this moment.
I submitted my request through the Student Finance Account and I got a confirmation via email as well.

The point is, when I check the summary it said that it will take from 4 - 6 weeks to process my application and that they will contact me by post when this has been done, but if I look at the main page it's reported that my status is NOT ELIGIBLE FOR STUDENT FINANCE.

All this, asking me to submit a signed declaration form, which is not available from my page.

At first, I though it was because my course is a distance learning course. However, on the University website it's clearly written that I am eligible even if I am following a DL course and that I don't have to live in the UK if I have been living in the EU for the past three years.

Any help would be much appreciated, so thank you in advance.

If you are an EU student, you have to download forms and apply on paper. If you try to use the online application system, your application will be rejected. The forms you need are linked at the bottom of this page:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

You have up to nine months after the start of your course, you apply. As long as you can show your uni that your SF application is progressing, they should not ask you to pay your tuition fees yourself.
Reply 2
Thank you for the kind answer!
It helped a lot.

I found everything I needed and fowarded the question to the University as well.
I really hope it's as you said, this way I don't have to worry too much about the instalments.
Once I send the documentation should I consider the application started? Or do I have to wait for their confirmation?
Original post by Klix88
If you are an EU student, you have to download forms and apply on paper. If you try to use the online application system, your application will be rejected. The forms you need are linked at the bottom of this page:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

You have up to nine months after the start of your course, you apply. As long as you can show your uni that your SF application is progressing, they should not ask you to pay your tuition fees yourself.

That looks very much like the undergraduate finance forms
Original post by Alaska_
Thank you for the kind answer!
It helped a lot.

I found everything I needed and fowarded the question to the University as well.
I really hope it's as you said, this way I don't have to worry too much about the instalments.
Once I send the documentation should I consider the application started? Or do I have to wait for their confirmation?

You can find postgraduate application forms here:
https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/how-to-apply
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
That looks very much like the undergraduate finance forms

Aargh! Good spot.

Sincere apologies OP.*
Reply 6
Should I use the online portal or apply by post using this new link?
If I log into the website my application is frozen. My status is NOT ELIGIBLE FOR STUDENT FINANCE and I cannot support anything (even if the are asking me to do so). On the other hand if I look at the pdf content, the questions are the same of those I already filled in the online form.
Also, as I said I will not be living in the UK, and in the second link it's one of the conditions to be eligible..
My deadline is on the 20th of September.

I got an email from my Uni. It says that they need the copy of the confirmation letter, and only this way it can be added to my application. All this before my course starts and I have the feeling that this is pretty impossible..
Any help?
Thank you all..
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending