The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Would I qualify for a Certificate of Higher Education course?

Hi!

Where to start... I'm 22 and want to get back into education soon. I won't bore you with the details but after leaving school with 5 A-C's, I went to college where I studied a BTEC course and then dropped out without a qualification, and I've been out of education and work for over three years since.

A week ago I discovered Open University and it looks absolutely perfect for me. I phoned up yesterday about the possibility of starting an October Module at such late notice, and the lady said no it wouldn't be possible this late on. Today I log on and see they've extended their registration date. I imagine it's still likely too late but I'd be fine with the February option.

Now, I'm looking at two options, either starting with a single Module to get me back into the swing of things as is suggested on their site, or perhaps applying for a Certificate of Higher Education course (arts and humanities if you need to know). This is all assuming I even qualify even qualify.

That brings me to this... on their site they say you require no formal qualifications, but this can't be true surely? Is there a chance I could get accepted into the course with just my GCSE's?

I'm sorry for the ramble, I'll stop it there.
As you've seen, OU is very different to other universities, and offers opportunities to people who have 'irregular' academic backgrounds as well as those who are working etc. If their website says you don't need any formal qualifications then you really don't. It might be a good idea starting off with a single module and see how you get on - as you say it's been a while since you last did any studying. If you enjoy it and and can cope with the workload then there's no reason not to do more after that.

There are other options too - MOOCs from places such as Coursera or edX would be an easy way to get back into studying for free.

Either way, good luck!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Yes, it's absolutely true that for the OU you don't need any entry qualifications. You could sign up for a degree, if you liked; it would be fine. The early stages are designed to bring everyone up to the same level, whatever their prior study experience. (Obviously, it's then on you to do the work - being able to sign up for it is not a guarantee of success!)

Funding is the thing you probably need to look into - I'm not sure whether you can get a student loan for just one module; I think you have to sign up to a qualification.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow, that really does sound attractive then. I wish I'd heard more about this earlier :frown:

With Open Uni, would it be possible to get student finance for tuition fees if not for maintainance?

Thanks for your replies.
It is possible to get a tuition fee loan, but as Persipan said, you would need to be signed up for a qualification as opposed to a one-off module. However, it is possible to do an access module free of charge if you are unsure as to what you want to do. You'd still need to do it as part of a qualification in order to qualify for the freebie, but it would at least give you a bit of a taster and a chance to change direction if it becomes apparent that this is no longer the direction you want to go.http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/do-it/access
Original post by Iggie Smalls
Wow, that really does sound attractive then. I wish I'd heard more about this earlier :frown:

With Open Uni, would it be possible to get student finance for tuition fees if not for maintainance?

Thanks for your replies.

Can I ask, what is your end goal? Do you want to do your whole degree with the OU or do you want to use OU modules as a springboard to go to another university? If the latter then there are much cheaper options available, see here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4155525
Thank you for your help everyone. I went and registered for a Certificate of Higher Ed., February course, and am sorting out the financing as we speak! I've registered to do it part-time, so I've pointed that out on the finance thingy, so instead of it being £5,572 for the two modules, they're spread over two years so they'll be funding at £2786 a year. I don't know if it's possible to switch to full time mid-course, but if it is and if I were to decide to do that, how would it work in terms of getting the rest of funding from Student Finance? As the two years would of course be shorterned to one if i did that.

@Snufkin I'm not sure. I think I'll use it as a springboard to another university butOpen Uni is so suited to my needs I don't know yet.
Thank you for your help everyone. I went and registered for a Certificate of Higher Ed., February course, and am sorting out the financing as we speak! I've registered to do it part-time, so I've pointed that out on the finance thingy, so instead of it being £5,572 for the two modules, they're spread over two years so they'll be funding at £2786 a year. I don't know if it's possible to switch to full time mid-course, but if it is and if I were to decide to do that, how would it work in terms of getting the rest of funding from Student Finance? As the two years would of course be shorterned to one if i did that.

@Snufkin I'm not sure. I think I'll use it as a springboard to another university butOpen Uni is so suited to my needs I don't know yet.

All OU courses are classified as part-time for student finance purposes, if you want to increase your workload in the future then you can. But if you want to use OU credits as a route into a brick university then you absolutely must not spend more than one academic year doing the CertHE.
Original post by Snufkin
All OU courses are classified as part-time for student finance purposes, if you want to increase your workload in the future then you can. But if you want to use OU credits as a route into a brick university then you absolutely must not spend more than one academic year doing the CertHE.

Ok, I'll make it full time then. Is it as simple as picking up the phone and requesting an increase of workload? How does this affect my student finance, as in, how do I get both modules paid for the first year, assuming that would be required?

Thank you.
Ok, I'll make it full time then. Is it as simple as picking up the phone and requesting an increase of workload? How does this affect my student finance, as in, how do I get both modules paid for the first year, assuming that would be required?

Thank you.

I think it is that simple, yes. Re finance, you just need to tell SFE what modules you're doing, doing 120 credits a year rather than 60 won't affect your loan application.
Original post by Snufkin
I think it is that simple, yes. Re finance, you just need to tell SFE what modules you're doing, doing 120 credits a year rather than 60 won't affect your loan application.

Alright I'll do that. Appreciate the help, I'll stop pestering you now.
One last thing.

Regarding using Open Uni as a leg up to another university, would it matter if the academic year in which one does the Certificate of Higher Education course is February to August as opposed to September to June/July?
One last thing.

Regarding using Open Uni as a leg up to another university, would it matter if the academic year in which one does the Certificate of Higher Education course is February to August as opposed to September to June/July?

It won't matter, no.
Reply 13
Iggie, if you start the first course in February it should end in Sept ready for you to complete the CertHE with the second course starting in October.
I'd also suggest you spend some time before Feb looking at the free study skills courses offered by OpenLearn. They certainly made me feel as though I'd had a head-start!

Quick Reply