The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saran23
It contradicts a lot of scientific principles especially violating Newton's law's of motion. Yes it works everywhere except at the point of the singularity.

Tell me, if we all originate from a singularity, isn't the first push of all the matter into space(the initial expansion before the creation of subatomic particles) a signature of the first cause in this universe(which I believe was part of God's act). If that exertion on all known matter at the start did not happen then life could not have been created. We may not be able to prove that God created the Universe but isn't there a possibility to prove that God created us.

Those scientific principles only apply in this universe. Why must they apply in the absence of the universe?

It's a pretty useless God that does such a small and simple task, and something that is far more complex than what it is doing.

That's assuming that you need a 'God' to create that initial expansion, which is by no means a given.
Original post by ReeceFraser
How do you know they didn't exist? How do you know they cannot be applied? You and I both know nothing about what is before and and what is outside of this universe. But we both believe there was/is something, where you say the laws of physics don't apply and where I is say a god exists. But then i would also say that a god isn't bound by the laws of physics and that anything outside of this universe therefore must be some sort of god.

Your argument for why there must be a god relies on the existence of the physical laws of this universe. For your argument to hold you have to show that the laws of physics of this universe also apply when the universe, space, time etc does not exist. You are focusing mainly on cause and effect for example, which requires time, but since time is part of this universe it cannot exist if this universe does not exist. Hence cause and effect does not apply when the universe does not exist and you cannot use it to make claims about the 'origin' of the universe.
Religion, politics and football should be banned in this forum.

The End.

The argument goes on and on and never stops.

EDIT: I deserve a pat on the back.
Original post by D3LLI5
Your argument for why there must be a god relies on the existence of the physical laws of this universe. For your argument to hold you have to show that the laws of physics of this universe also apply when the universe, space, time etc does not exist. You are focusing mainly on cause and effect for example, which requires time, but since time is part of this universe it cannot exist if this universe does not exist. Hence cause and effect does not apply when the universe does not exist and you cannot use it to make claims about the 'origin' of the universe.

But what you don't seem to be able to grasp is that the nature of a god is that it is beyond human comprehension, just like the place where space, time etc. doesn't exist is beyond comprehension. The difference is people who don't believe in god are trying to comprehend it a cannot whereas i know i will never be able to comprehend it and call it a god
But what you don't seem to be able to grasp is that the nature of a god is that it is beyond human comprehension, just like the place where space, time etc. doesn't exist is beyond comprehension. The difference is people who don't believe in god are trying to comprehend it a cannot whereas i know i will never be able to comprehend it and call it a god

No I understand the nature of what you're talking about. I'm showing you where your argument that it needs to exist is wrong.
I'm not religious at all but have you ever thought, maybe the evidence just hasn't been found yet?

And on another note, why does it matter if people believe in God, they have a right to hold their own opinion so I think they can choose themselves whether they want to follow a particular religion or not.
@davidguettafan I'd like to have a chat with you one day. Maybe it's just me but I've noticed this is a question and topic you've dealt on/addressed frequently. Would you accept that God existed if it came out that there is evidence for it or would you not want to address it? And it seems at one point maybe you did believe in something but lost hope in it. You never know, maybe through this interest God could be calling upon you. I don't know. I'm not the best person or believer out there and my beliefs change from time to time but I've heard interests where it bothers our minds usually is the start of something new. Just know we don't know everything. Anything is possible. Whether or not God is a 'flying spaghetti monster', the truth is the truth. if it exists, it exists, if not, it does not. Whatever the truth is, whether or not you or I believe in it or don't, it will always be the truth. Just yesterday I watched a Youtube video named "13 colors humans can't see" where the person in the video beautifully explained how the Mantis Shrimp has 16 receptive cones allowing it to see 13 extra colours that we cannot see, with
certain butterfly species also being able to see an extra two more divertive colours than we can and how he pitted a dog because his colour range is limited compared to the spectrum we see. Now, you may be thinking why did she bring this up but putting this all together, imagine you were that shrimp, that butterfly, that dog who though are all living, are subject to different perspectives of reality due to their state of being, you'll realise your perception of reality is limited. Imagine being that Shrimp. Doesn't mean the perspective of the butterfly or dog shouldn't be considered but it just tells me there is a lot we cannot see, that being humans in our state, we are subject to limitations. Imagine if God exists, my goodness only it could describe what it sees. What it sees would be unexplainable. Going beyond time, the past and present, universes, dimensions, every atom, object, person, thought, thing, colour, particle, consciousness in its purest and rawest form. Seeing things in a way no other has seen before. I remember in the bible, it said how no person has seen God it its truest form as if the person did, they would die. That God is of another energy, power and being of another dimension that isn't physical. So for us to be compatible to see it, our state of being would have to change. It's like wanting to go to space to look directly at the sun, jumping into it to feel its essence but unless you are a spectable of the sun what happens when you get too close? Physically, we can only go 95 yards before burning up. Now you can say, at least we can see the sun but then again if this God isn't physical but of another dimension all we can do is wait and see. We'll all die one day, leaving this state of being. If it exists and life beyond this exists, you'll know. Until now, no one is certain. The question itself is too much to dwell on. Let's focus on finding out much more on our universe first as there's still so much to discover.
Original post by D3LLI5
Those scientific principles only apply in this universe. Why must they apply in the absence of the universe?

It's a pretty useless God that does such a small and simple task, and something that is far more complex than what it is doing.

That's assuming that you need a 'God' to create that initial expansion, which is by no means a given.

The singularity occurred in this very universe. So scientific principles does contradict this generally well accepted theory. If you believe the scientific principles is not applicable to the Big Bang, you are indirectly claiming it to be outside a closed system. This means you are implying indirectly that the Big Bang is external to the Universe. Doesn't that contradict your current position.

If God/or something else did not do that very task we would not be here. It doesn't matter how complex the task is. We owe it to that divine force.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by D3LLI5

That's the Humean definition, but it's by no means the only accepted definition. There's no consensus in physics or philosophy that causality requires the existence of time. Many would say causality is a fundamental metaphysical principle and the basis for all inquiry, including scientific investigation.

We don't even have to use the word causation and time; we could replace it with reason or explantation and run the argument from contingency, which would be valid even if the universe is timeless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saran23
The singularity occurred in this very universe. So the scientific principles does contradict this generally well accepted theory. If you believe the scientific principles is not applicable to the Big Bang, you are indirectly claiming it to be outside a closed system. This means you are implying indirectly that the Big Bang is external to the Universe. Doesn't that contradict your current position.

If God/or something else did not do that very task we would not be here. It doesn't matter how complex the task is. We owe it to that divine force.

The singularity was not *in* this universe. It *was* this universe. The scientific principles we know apply in this universe are so intertwined with this universe it would be foolish to assume they exist in the absence of this universe, I.e we can't really talk about the Big Bang as if it occurred in this universe.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
That's the Humean definition, but it's by no means the only accepted definition. There's no consensus in physics or philosophy that causality requires the existence of time. Many would say causality is a fundamental metaphysical principle and the basis for all inquiry, including scientific investigation.

We don't even have to use the word causation and time; we could replace it with reason or explantation and run the argument from contingency, which would be valid even if the universe is timeless.

Explain an example of causation occurring in the absence of time
Original post by saran23
To all if not most atheists,

"Nothing exists but natural phenomena.

All we see and know is natural phenomena as our world is the natural world. If someone claims there is phenomena that is not natural then the burden of proof is on them to show it.

Scepticism is a scientific principle or is inherently scientific.
Occam’s Razor is a scientific principle or is inherently scientific.

These are definitions.

If you see something that seems impossible, you imagined it or were fooled.

At first, yes, just as would most religious people actually. But if sufficient and observable, testable and repeatable evidence were produced then it's likely people would change their minds, as they have done across history and in the history of science itself.

Our thoughts are entirely a property or function of chemicals in the brain.

As far as we know, yes, there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. Altering and damaging parts of the brain is known to affect personality and other mental functions, providing further evidence that the mental faculties are dependent on the brain. There is no evidence whatsoever to demonstrate that the mind has some supernatural component or origin.

There are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature.

As far as we know there are not. Indeed, by definition one could say that if anything exists in the universe then it must be natural as there is precisely no evidence for anything outside the universe and physical reality.

There are no forces, phenomena, or entities which transcend nature.

If nature is defined as physical reality then we can agree with that statement given that there's no evidence for anything external to nature.

There are no forces, phenomena, or entities which are supernatural.

No evidence for such forces.

If you don’t have a good theory as to why something works, you can dismiss the evidence that it works anyway.

Not necessarily. Theories don't appear overnight, they usually are years in the making so the evidence will be taken into account and compared to more of it that's found and will be incorporated if it makes sense and dropped if it doesn't.

The laws of physics are explained by science.

The laws of nature are scientific laws, yes.

The laws of physics don’t change or, if they do, they only change in ways scientists can predict and measure.

Yes, relative to our understanding of a particular law of course.

Science is how we determine if things are true or not.

A rather vague statement. Science helps explain the natural world, but there are many mundane situations where science as such is not needed to prove something is true. CCTV and recording devices as well as objects such as documents etc can all prove something happened without having to invoke science per se.

Religion and science are warring forces.

Again, this is rather simplistic. I guess at their core you could say they oppose each other as one asks you to believe without seeing and the other purports that only that which can be tested and observed is real. However, religions across history have adopted scientific principle, either through choice or by force and religionists tend to employ the scientific method to any other religion that isn't their own.

Faith is about believing without evidence.

That is a definition of faith, yes, and the one most commonly used in discussions of this nature.

"Logic works just because it does.

Logic is a human construct so one could argue it makes sense because we make it make sense.

The laws of physics work just because they do.Science “overcame” or “surpassed” religion.

Yes, laws are just the way they are, this much is obvious.

Science had to fight off belief in God to advance.
Science had to fight off religion to advance.
Science had to fight off Christianity to advance.

In its early development, science indeed had to free itself from the shackles of religion to advance, in the West at least.

Christians believe things solely because they’re in the Bible.
Ex-Christian atheists understand the Bible better than Christian scholars.
Fundamentalist Christians understand the Bible better than orthodox scholars.
19th and 20th Century Historico-critical revisionist atheists understand the Bible better than orthodox scholars.
19th and 20th Century Historico-critical revisionist liberal Protestants understand the Bible better than orthodox scholars.

Not necessarily.

Most Christians and Jews should be Creationists because the Book of Genesis describes how Planet Earth was created like a science text.

Why are you asking me to determine what someone else should believe about their holy book? :s-smilie:

People who think God and spirituality are rational things to pursue are mentally ill.

Not necessarily.

Asking what makes existence possible at all is not a real question.

Don't agree. Also, it's more conducive to a debate to ask someone a few questions at a time, not bombard them with 20 million.
I totally agree that the Christian god doesn't exist. But for the big bang to happen something must have caused it. Whatever that cause is it is beyond human comprehension and is the creator of the universe.

As time began with the universe the concept of something causing it before time was even a thing is questionable. And even if it somehow did, there's no reason this cause would have to be sentient, intelligent and magical. It could be an unthinking natural law/phenomenon.

I'm going to answer your question with another. If you walked into a room and in the centre of the room was a cake and i told you that one day that cake just appeared would you believe me or would you think someone put it there? You would think someone put it there. And thats why I believe something must have caused it.

This is just a modified version of the Watchmaker fallacy which has been debunked many a time. Cakes don't occur in nature, we can make them and see them being made. We have never observed a cake coming into existence without someone making it therefore we know it has a designer.

Conversely, no one has designed a universe, we haven't observed anyone either designing or creating a universe so there is no evidence it was manufactured, unlike the cake.
But you'll never know because outside of this universe as you said the same laws don't apply. It's like trying to imagine a colour not on the spectrum. And do believe there must be a cause because we have now determined the universe does have a start point and something cannot start without something else happening. Whether that something is outside of this universe, in a multiverse, acting in the 10th dimension we will never know, which is why it is a god.

How do you know they didn't exist? How do you know they cannot be applied? You and I both know nothing about what is before and and what is outside of this universe. But we both believe there was/is something, where you say the laws of physics don't apply and where I is say a god exists. But then i would also say that a god isn't bound by the laws of physics and that anything outside of this universe therefore must be some sort of god.

These are total non-sequiturs. Even if one is to accept that the Big Bang has a cause, how do you get from "there must be a cause" to "this cause is sentient, intelligent, magical and therefore a god"?
Original post by D3LLI5
The singularity was not *in* this universe. It *was* this universe. The scientific principles we know apply in this universe are so intertwined with this universe it would be foolish to assume they exist in the absence of this universe, I.e we can't really talk about the Big Bang as if it occurred in this universe.

Still the theory contradicts with the scientific principles(such as some of Newton's law of thermodynamics). Let me rephrase my previous post with the concept that it "was" the universe.

"The singularity was this universe. So scientific principles does contradict this generally well accepted theory. If you believe the scientific principles is not applicable to the Big Bang, you are indirectly claiming it to be outside a closed system. This means you are implying indirectly that the Big Bang is external to the Universe. Doesn't that contradict your current position?If God/or something else did not do that very task we would not be here. It doesn't matter how complex the task is. We owe it to that divine force. "
Original post by D3LLI5
Explain an example of causation occurring in the absence of time

Sure: if p, then q. p, therefore q.

Notice how p and q are not objects in spacetime, but nevertheless there exists a causal relation between the premise and the conclusion. True premises cause true conclusions; if causality (and hence all logic) requires time, then logic is not timeless. But this is absurd. Therefore causality, like logic, is a metaphysical necessity not subject to any contingent laws of nature.

Your turn: explain an example of a brute fact (i.e. it cannot have an explanation) without special pleading.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
All we see and know is natural phenomena as our world is the natural world. If someone claims there is phenomena that is not natural then the burden of proof is on them to show it.

These are definitions.

At first, yes, just as would most religious people actually. But if sufficient and observable, testable and repeatable evidence were produced then it's likely people would change their minds, as they have done across history and in the history of science itself.

As far as we know, yes, there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. Altering and damaging parts of the brain is known to affect personality and other mental functions, providing further evidence that the mental faculties are dependent on the brain. There is no evidence whatsoever to demonstrate that the mind has some supernatural component or origin.

As far as we know there are not. Indeed, by definition one could say that if anything exists in the universe then it must be natural as there is precisely no evidence for anything outside the universe and physical reality.

If nature is defined as physical reality then we can agree with that statement given that there's no evidence for anything external to nature.

No evidence for such forces.

Not necessarily. Theories don't appear overnight, they usually are years in the making so the evidence will be taken into account and compared to more of it that's found and will be incorporated if it makes sense and dropped if it doesn't.

The laws of nature are scientific laws, yes.

Yes, relative to our understanding of a particular law of course.

A rather vague statement. Science helps explain the natural world, but there are many mundane situations where science as such is not needed to prove something is true. CCTV and recording devices as well as objects such as documents etc can all prove something happened without having to invoke science per se.

Again, this is rather simplistic. I guess at their core you could say they oppose each other as one asks you to believe without seeing and the other purports that only that which can be tested and observed is real. However, religions across history have adopted scientific principle, either through choice or by force and religionists tend to employ the scientific method to any other religion that isn't their own.

That is a definition of faith, yes, and the one most commonly used in discussions of this nature.

Logic is a human construct so one could argue it makes sense because we make it make sense.

Yes, laws are just the way they are, this much is obvious.

In its early development, science indeed had to free itself from the shackles of religion to advance, in the West at least.

Not necessarily.

Why are you asking me to determine what someone else should believe about their holy book? :s-smilie:

Not necessarily.

Don't agree. Also, it's more conducive to a debate to ask someone a few questions at a time, not bombard them with 20 million.

Impressive, but you have not produced any evidence in support which I asked for. If something is logical an evidence can surely be procured.
Original post by saran23
Impressive, but you have not produced any evidence in support which I asked for. If something is logical an evidence can surely be procured.

Because you didn't ask anything specific. What do you want evidence for?
But you'll never know because outside of this universe as you said the same laws don't apply. It's like trying to imagine a colour not on the spectrum. And do believe there must be a cause because we have now determined the universe does have a start point and something cannot start without something else happening. Whether that something is outside of this universe, in a multiverse, acting in the 10th dimension we will never know, which is why it is a god.

You have no basis for claiming there must be a cause.Havent I just explained that.If the universe doesnt yet exist then how can any of its current laws apply to it? And even if cause and effect do apply then there is still no reason to call that cause God.The cause could just be some kind of universe creating force like gravity.But it makes no sense to worship a force because its emotionally unsatisfying and most people dont mean that by the idea of God.Most people mean the kind of figure depicted in the bible or in major religions who actively intervenes in human affairs.Such a god is petty and far too human to be anything other than made up.
Original post by saran23
Still the theory contradicts with the scientific principles(such as some of Newton's law of thermodynamics). Let me rephrase my previous post with the concept that it "was" the universe.

"The singularity was this universe. So scientific principles does contradict this generally well accepted theory. If you believe the scientific principles is not applicable to the Big Bang, you are indirectly claiming it to be outside a closed system. This means you are implying indirectly that the Big Bang is external to the Universe. Doesn't that contradict your current position?If God/or something else did not do that very task we would not be here. It doesn't matter how complex the task is. We owe it to that divine force. "

Not really black holes are supposed to be singularities within which all the laws of physics break down.But you wouldnt claim they are outside the universe.There is no reason to bring divinity into this and not a scap of evidence.Extrordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.Where is your evidence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending