The Student Room Group

A level help wanted PLEASE I AM LOSTED

So I have just started college and it's been awful. I am doing English literature, English language and history. An A eqo. The thing is I hate English literature and dislike English language and I have a slight interest in history. I wanted to do science but wasn't allowed due to not getting a B in maths. The thing is if I mentioned it tomorrow they could allow me to do sciences. However I have an interest in science but I don't love it so I am scared I might dislike it. Also they might make be drop my eqo. Also I wanted to be a dentist 100% but I got told that even if I got good grades in sciences my GCSE aren't good enough. So would it be an waste of time or can I get into another science profession? PLEASE help I am so posted and need correct advice
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Firstly drop english language as you can complete sentences to save your life.
Secondly do not listen to anyone even myself
Thirdly do whatever the **** you want to do, you literally are convincing yourself you dont want to do this and that. just do maths as you got a b and do physics and chemistry
Reply 2
I may be biased since I often make fun of mates who don't do STEM subjects, but sciences are very fun and interesting subjects, albeit ones that can often require a lot of work.
What are your GCSE grades? There are probably alternative routes into dentistry if they're not good enough. And of course, you can get into a different scientific profession if you so desire.
Reply 3
Original post by zainyyyyy
Firstly drop english language as you can complete sentences to save your life.
Secondly do not listen to anyone even myself
Thirdly do whatever the **** you want to do, you literally are convincing yourself you dont want to do this and that. just do maths as you got a b and do physics and chemistry

I didn't get an B in maths
Original post by England113
So I have just started college and it's been awful. I am doing English literature, English language and history. An A eqo. The thing is I hate English literature and dislike English language and I have a slight interest in history. I wanted to do science but wasn't allowed due to got getting a B in maths. The thing is if I mentioned it tomorrow they could allow me to do sciences. However I have an interest in science but I don't love it so I am scared I might dislike it. Also they might make be drop my eqo. Also I wanted to be a dentist 100% but I got told that even if I got good grades in sciences my GCSE aren't good enough. So would it be an waste of time or can I get into another science profession? PLEASE help I am so posted and need correct advice

Do the subjects you have a passion for. I've just finished my AS levels and from what i've seen, the kids that didn't follow what they really loved did badly. At A level you REALLY have to love a subject to stick with it and do well. So do the things you love.
So I have just started college and it's been awful. I am doing English literature, English language and history. An A eqo. The thing is I hate English literature and dislike English language and I have a slight interest in history. I wanted to do science but wasn't allowed due to not getting a B in maths. The thing is if I mentioned it tomorrow they could allow me to do sciences. However I have an interest in science but I don't love it so I am scared I might dislike it. Also they might make be drop my eqo. Also I wanted to be a dentist 100% but I got told that even if I got good grades in sciences my GCSE aren't good enough. So would it be an waste of time or can I get into another science profession? PLEASE help I am so posted and need correct advice
What do you want to do with your life (i.e. career)? That might determine what you want to do post 18 (i.e. Uni or what?). If you don't have a career in mind, but you know what you want to do post 18, then pick the subjects that are most desirable for where you want to go in the future. I you haven't got a clue then my advice is this:

Focus is about saying no.
- Steve Jobs
Reply 6
Original post by chrisd0
i may be biased since i often make fun of mates who don't do stem subjects, but sciences are very fun and interesting subjects, albeit ones that can often require a lot of work.
What are your gcse grades? There are probably alternative routes into dentistry if they're not good enough. And of course, you can get into a different scientific profession if you so desire.

2a
5b
3c
Reply 7
Original post by hannah-grace
Do the subjects you have a passion for. I've just finished my AS levels and from what i've seen, the kids that didn't follow what they really loved did badly. At A level you REALLY have to love a subject to stick with it and do well. So do the things you love.

I am not sure if I love science but I have an interest. The problem is I didn't get an B in maths.
Reply 8
2a
5b
3c

If I were in your shoes, I would either target dentistry and try really hard to get all A* at A level, or go for a different STEM profession.
Either way, I would pick up maths and some sciences.
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
What do you want to do with your life (i.e. career)? That might determine what you want to do post 18 (i.e. Uni or what?). If you don't have a career in mind, but you know what you want to do post 18, then pick the subjects that are most desirable for where you want to go in the future. I you haven't got a clue then my advice is this:

Focus is about saying no.
- Steve Jobs

I want to be an dentist but I don't have good enough GCSE grades but I would like an medical profession or science
Reply 10
Original post by ChrisD0
If I were in your shoes, I would either target dentistry and try really hard to get all A* at A level, or go for a different STEM profession.
Either way, I would pick up maths and some sciences.

I didn't get an B in maths so I definitely wouldn't be allowed to do . I need an B in maths to do science but I can't i retake and do it at the same time.
I want to be an dentist but I don't have good enough GCSE grades but I would like an medical profession or science
You wish to go into medicine. Then you will need science A Levels. Did you meet the entry requirements in your science GCSE grades if not Maths?
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17
You wish to go into medicine. Then you will need science A Levels. Did you meet the entry requirements in your science GCSE grades if not Maths?

I got an B in science on higher
I didn't get an B in maths so I definitely wouldn't be allowed to do . I need an B in maths to do science but I can't i retake and do it at the same time.

In my school maths is not linked to science. You could either beg the relevant teacher, or if you really want it, resit your GCSE's, the whole year.
I got an B in science on higher
Well it must have been higher because you can't get that otherwise. Was this just core science, or did you sit an additional science GCSE that you're not telling me about? What is the entry requirement for the science A Levels you wish to study?
Reply 15
Original post by 04MR17
Well it must have been higher because you can't get that otherwise. Was this just core science, or did you sit an additional science GCSE that you're not telling me about? What is the entry requirement for the science A Levels you wish to study?

In core science I got an c and additional I got an B. The entry requirements are B in maths and B in science .
In core science I got an c and additional I got an B. The entry requirements are B in maths and B in science .
And I presume you got a C in Maths? By how many marks were you off?
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17
And I presume you got a C in Maths? By how many marks were you off?

Yes I got an C but it didn't say the mark equivalent on my results .
Yes I got an C but it didn't say the mark equivalent on my results .
OK. You need to find the right people to speak to. The C in core science is going to count against you more than Maths. Which science A Levels are you going to take? Acceptance will probably depend on your scores in those units at GCSE. I'm not expecting physics to accept you with the Maths thing, but Biology and Chemistry (the two more important for Medicine) should be OK. You need to convince either the head of science, head of sixth form or both that you're worth the risk. That you more determined than you were last year, that you're going to revise properly and try even harder. And also, if you want to pursue medicine, you're going to have to. Mention you career plans to them to try and persuade. Thanks for the follow. Good luck.
Reply 19
Original post by 04MR17
OK. You need to find the right people to speak to. The C in core science is going to count against you more than Maths. Which science A Levels are you going to take? Acceptance will probably depend on your scores in those units at GCSE. I'm not expecting physics to accept you with the Maths thing, but Biology and Chemistry (the two more important for Medicine) should be OK. You need to convince either the head of science, head of sixth form or both that you're worth the risk. That you more determined than you were last year, that you're going to revise properly and try even harder. And also, if you want to pursue medicine, you're going to have to. Mention you career plans to them to try and persuade. Thanks for the follow. Good luck.

I have talked to an science teacher and they said it wouldn't be worth it because I wouldn't get accepted at university . I am willing to put effort in and willing to do anything. I was only 3 marks of an B in core science. I would bring it up anyways tomorrow and see what happens. If they say no what should i do?

Quick Reply

Latest