Scroll to see replies

losted you are indeed
Reply 21
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
losted you are indeed

I am . Have you done A levels ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by England113
I have talked to a science teacher and they said it wouldn't be worth it because I wouldn't get accepted at university. I am willing to put effort in and willing to do anything. I was only 3 marks of an B in core science. I would bring it up anyways tomorrow and see what happens. If they say no what should I do?
Science teachers don't make the decision. It's head of department//KS5 coordinator. University applications do not hinge on G.C.S.E.s at all! Fundamentally, it depends what University you want to go to (they all have different standards). Don't "bring it up", you either ask to change subjects or you don't. If they say no then you have four options,
1. Continue as you are
2. Change subjects to something else
3. Move college and do any of the above
4. Move college who will accept you for sciences.

To confirm, which science A Levels do you want to take?
Reply 23
Original post by 04MR17
Science teachers don't make the decision. It's head of department//KS5 coordinator. University applications do not hinge on G.C.S.E.s at all! Fundamentally, it depends what University you want to go to (they all have different standards). Don't "bring it up", you either ask to change subjects or you don't. If they say no then you have four options,
1. Continue as you are
2. Change subjects to something else
3. Move college and do any of the above
4. Move college who will accept you for sciences.

To confirm, which science A Levels do you want to take?

Biology and chemistry
Biology and chemistry
This is doable then.
Reply 25
Original post by 04MR17
This is doable then.

Thanks really appreciate the help and you have given me hope .
The only way you can do A levels is by paying for it.

You could ask the head teach of the sixthform to agree that you'll pay for your own a levels, in a breach contract that you are obliged to be learning within the school for a levels.

So say for example, you want to do a level chemistry, biology and physics ( one a level costs around 200 pound), you can do the tests at another test centre ( or the test centre at your college if they allow you to) and learn at the sixthform. thats what I would do, because you are obliged to a have a free education in sixthform for 2 years at aged 16-18. so you can learn there methods there and do the exams at another test centre.

There are test centre out there right now which are giving offers to do 3 a levels for 200 pounds, i think thats worth. but thats the only way you are going to get in because now our days, most sixthform ( which i think is stupid) will not allow you to do the course you wana do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok this will sound harsh but this is realistically what I have found from experience teaching A level science.

Students with a B in GCSE science typically get about a D at A level in sciences. B at GCSE only means you got about 50-55% correct on your exam paper which is not enough basic scientific understanding to excel in further study UNLESS you do a significant amount of self study and reteaching of GCSE content. A D is nowhere near what you would need to apply for dentistry.

You need at least a B in maths because there is now a much higher maths content in all science papers and you will struggle to manipulate the data and apply statistical tests if you dont already have a good mathematical understanding.

If you are determined to continue with science you should look for a 6th form or college that offers applied science and then choose courses that complement it.

What did you get your A grades in? Are they not subjects you would consider?
So I have just started college and it's been awful. I am doing English literature, English language and history. An A eqo. The thing is I hate English literature and dislike English language and I have a slight interest in history. I wanted to do science but wasn't allowed due to not getting a B in maths. The thing is if I mentioned it tomorrow they could allow me to do sciences. However I have an interest in science but I don't love it so I am scared I might dislike it. Also they might make be drop my eqo. Also I wanted to be a dentist 100% but I got told that even if I got good grades in sciences my GCSE aren't good enough. So would it be an waste of time or can I get into another science profession? PLEASE help I am so posted and need correct advice

You don't have to go to uni to be a dentist because i never had GCSE and i did a course to be a dentist assistant years ago but it was not a college course. I cant remember what its called but it was more like a course from a dental school and they get you a job in the dentist afterwards so you could do that and then go on to actually working towards being a dentist
Look up dental courses on google
Find out if you need GCSE first because i didnt but i did not finish the course as it was not what i really wanted to do so i left after a few days
But you should change to Science and don't worry if you don't like it as you can do other courses like English or Dentistry next year or even just change to dentistry instead of Science and English
Talk to your tutors at college to change courses because you will regret wasting a year doing English if that's not your passion and as you only just started it might not be too late to change but just talk to the tutours anyway about it
Reply 29
Original post by hazybubbles
Ok this will sound harsh but this is realistically what I have found from experience teaching A level science.

Students with a B in GCSE science typically get about a D at A level in sciences. B at GCSE only means you got about 50-55% correct on your exam paper which is not enough basic scientific understanding to excel in further study UNLESS you do a significant amount of self study and reteaching of GCSE content. A D is nowhere near what you would need to apply for dentistry.

You need at least a B in maths because there is now a much higher maths content in all science papers and you will struggle to manipulate the data and apply statistical tests if you dont already have a good mathematical understanding.

If you are determined to continue with science you should look for a 6th form or college that offers applied science and then choose courses that complement it.

History and ict
I have talked to an science teacher and they said it wouldn't be worth it because I wouldn't get accepted at university . I am willing to put effort in and willing to do anything. I was only 3 marks of an B in core science. I would bring it up anyways tomorrow and see what happens. If they say no what should i do?

Don't talk to science teachers as they will only discourage you because they only want people they think will get A's and B's so talk to other tutor's who have the power to let you change courses because B and C is a good enough grade
Look up lots of universities on google and do your own research Ringing them up yourself and speak to the tutors yourself on the phone and ask if the grades you have now are acceptable to get you in
Reply 31
Original post by SleepySnooz
Don't talk to science teachers as they will only discourage you because they only want people they think will get A's and B's so talk to other tutor's who have the power to let you change courses because B and C is a good enough grade
Look up lots of universities on google and do your own research Ringing them up yourself and speak to the tutors yourself on the phone and ask if the grades you have now are acceptable to get you in

I am talking to my tutor tomorrow
resolutions:
1) resit in november
2) move 6th forms with different requirements
3) change to something else such as psychology etc
4) dont forget, some unis offer pre-dental courses where you do an extra year if you dont have the right a-level options (i'm in the same situation buddy)
I am talking to my tutor tomorrow

yes do that! my tutor was fantastic, he offered me advice and told me i wont fail A-Levels
Original post by hazybubbles

i was 2 marks from an A, does that mean I'd get a D?
Reply 35
Original post by sfaraj
resolutions:
1) resit in november
2) move 6th forms with different requirements
3) change to something else such as psychology etc
4) dont forget, some unis offer pre-dental courses where you do an extra year if you dont have the right a-level options (i'm in the same situation buddy)

I was told even if there would allow me on that my GCSEs are good enough. So confused
Reply 36
Original post by sfaraj
yes do that! my tutor was fantastic, he offered me advice and told me i wont fail A-Levels

What A levels do you do?
What A levels do you do?

chemistry, psychology, maths, geography. my sixth form head said i can take AS Biology in year 13 :smile:
Sorry I haven't read the comments but have you looked at science foundation years at uni?
I was told even if there would allow me on that my GCSEs are good enough. So confused

places like manchester want good GCSES on top of A-Levels. there are places who dont care....

you gcses arent a flop, if you make up for it with amazing a-levels, valuable work experience and a great PS you might get somewhere

Quick Reply

Latest