The Student Room Group

Regarding Latin textbooks

I'm studying Latin off my own bat at uni this year. I have a professor who gives me an hour each week. It's hard going, but he suggested that I use Paterson and MacNaughton's 'The Approach to Latin' series to reinforce the tenses and declensions and so on. Would anyone happen to know where I could get a copy? I've tried hunting for it online, but it's rather expensive. If anyone does own a copy, would they be willing to lend it to me for a while?
Reply 1
I don't have a copy and I tried to find a pdf but couldn't either, however this doc does have a list of various other latin [text]books you could use if one of those catches your eye: http://akropolis-world-news.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/8/5/11853710/teaching_ancient_languages.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by Inexorably
I don't have a copy and I tried to find a pdf but couldn't either, however this doc does have a list of various other latin [text]books you could use if one of those catches your eye: http://akropolis-world-news.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/8/5/11853710/teaching_ancient_languages.pdf

Thanks a ton! This does help, enormously!
However, if you do happen to know of anyone with a copy,would you mind asking if they'd mind lending it to me awhile? I know it's old and out of print, so perhaps a professor or someone who did Latin during his/her schooldays?
Reply 3
Original post by Ashtwe
Thanks a ton! This does help, enormously!
However, if you do happen to know of anyone with a copy,would you mind asking if they'd mind lending it to me awhile? I know it's old and out of print, so perhaps a professor or someone who did Latin during his/her schooldays?

I don't know anyone around me that does Latin at all unfortunately. I am fairly certain your university library will be able to order a copy for you if you ask them to though.
Original post by Ashtwe
I'm studying Latin off my own bat at uni this year. I have a professor who gives me an hour each week. It's hard going, but he suggested that I use Paterson and MacNaughton's 'The Approach to Latin' series to reinforce the tenses and declensions and so on. Would anyone happen to know where I could get a copy? I've tried hunting for it online, but it's rather expensive. If anyone does own a copy, would they be willing to lend it to me for a while?

Amazon have it.
Reply 5
Original post by Inexorably
I don't know anyone around me that does Latin at all unfortunately. I am fairly certain your university library will be able to order a copy for you if you ask them to though.

Original post by Seamus123
Amazon have it.

I think not. My university's in India, way in the south. I've never seen any Latin textbooks here. My professor, I think, did his schooling there, which is probably how he knows of Paterson and MacNaughton.
Yes, Amazon does have it. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive for me at the moment. It would be spending 3500, not 35, after conversion of currencies!
I would be there in December though, which is why I suggested that I could borrow the book, if anyone has it. But I know it's hard to get. I'll keep looking though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending