The Student Room Group

"Soft" and "hard" A levels...the truth! My message (especially for younger years)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
This is nonsense, it has nothing to do with a greater difficult of STEM subjects in comparison to non-STEM subjects. It's because exams in STEM subjects have objective answers so can be marked much more predictably and objectively, whereas non-STEM subjects don't. If you are very talented at Maths, unless you screw up in your exams, you will not have too much difficulty in getting an A* in A Level Maths. The same cannot be definitely said for a subject like Drama or Art or Literature, where analysis is subjective and marking could vary significantly between examiners. This is the reason behind the difference in entry requirements, not some nonsense about a non-existent difference in difficulty.

Yeah that actually makes a lot more sense to be honest. Thanks for letting my know. That is actually the reason for why I'm only doing STEM subjects. Stupid subjectivity making my A*s in mocks going down to Bs in the real exams. :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by HAnwar
Thanks, hope you are too x
And great message!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you're well x lol I was about to mention your name when I had said hey in my before post to you but thought maybe you wouldn't want me to. But I haven't forgotten and thanks so much for your kind words.
Original post by Plagioclase
This is nonsense, it has nothing to do with a greater difficult of STEM subjects in comparison to non-STEM subjects. It's because exams in STEM subjects have objective answers so can be marked much more predictably and objectively, whereas non-STEM subjects don't. If you are very talented at Maths, unless you screw up in your exams, you will not have too much difficulty in getting an A* in A Level Maths. The same cannot be definitely said for a subject like Drama or Art or Literature, where analysis is subjective and marking could vary significantly between examiners. This is the reason behind the difference in entry requirements, not some nonsense about a non-existent difference in difficulty.

Okay, I see where you are coming from. I hope I haven't came across as being pretentious by saying that.
I just personally find the sciences and maths harder to understand than subjects such as English, religious studies and art etc. And I've always been lucky with the examiners I've had for the latter subjects but I've heard of people who've had remarks and their marks have gone up by three grade-boundaries which is quite scary tbh but I wasn't aware that this affects the entry requirements for universities.
Original post by richpanda
Don't listen to this. Only this morning in the paper I read that now 30% of graduates earn less than the average non-graduate. This number is increasingly rapidly. The degrees that were most 'underpaid'? None of them were 'traditional subjects'.

How does that tie-in to OP's message? And what does pay have to do with what degree you do and not what job you get (apart from the obvious exceptions)?

A degree itself is about opening up more career options and given any sort of distribution, there will ultimately be people not making much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Princepieman
How does that tie-in to OP's message? And what does pay have to do with what degree you do and not what job you get (apart from the obvious exceptions)?

A degree itself is about opening up more career options and given any sort of distribution, there will ultimately be people not making much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, thank you so much for asking this because I was wondering this too. We seem to be speaking on different matters.
Original post by Cherry82
I wish you the very best with your A level courses and you will do well as you seem driven. Having this drive often enables you to strive through the hard times as A levels aren't easy. Especially with the reforms hence why I felt so moved to state this. It's not like before (not saying that before was easy either but before we had re-sits and it was modular unlike now there are no re-sits, it's fully linear and final exams are in year 13 when the pressure of completing uni applications sets in...hate reforms eh). These reforms have made things more stressful, putting more pressure on students so it's important we think deeply on the reasons that persuaded us to choose these subjects. The bit in bold is unfortunate. I know many in that position too. I only wish the best for everyone though. I pray that it all works out. Oh em gee, me too I want to study politics too ( with a tad of international relations :wink:) at university. It took me a while to come to a conclusion. Initially I didn't know such a course existed, that addressed war, human's rights, various governments and global warming even.. only if I knew earlier! When I had saw the syllabus for IR at King's I died. So beautiful :':wink:

Thank you! And yeah only one of my courses (politics) is staying in the old format with AS/A2. I'm guess I'm pretty luck to have subjects I'm completely interested in otherwise I know I'd struggle and lose motivation. I've looked at a couple of politics and international relations courses but I havent really decided - there's no rush for me yet though :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Cherry82
Glad you're well x lol I was about to mention your name when I had said hey in my before post to you but thought maybe you wouldn't want me to. But I haven't forgotten and thanks so much for your kind words.

Ah yeah I'd rather keep that private :smile: And no worries x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

come on man, you know that there are huge differences in graduate pay for different degrees. Like it's some sort of coincidence that engineers or med school graduates get paid more than sociology grads?

If you choose 'soft' A-levels, you will have to do a 'soft' degree.
come on man, you know that there are huge differences in graduate pay for different degrees. Like it's some sort of coincidence that engineers or med school graduates get paid more than sociology grads?

If you choose 'soft' A-levels, you will have to do a 'soft' degree.

Yh, if the engineering grad gets an engineering job. But if they end up at Tesco's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh, if the engineering grad gets an engineering job. But if they end up at Tesco's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is far less likely than a media studies grad ending up at Tesco's... But I do accept it does happen.
Which is far less likely than a media studies grad ending up at Tesco's... But I do accept it does happen.

So now we've switched from salaries to likelihood of getting employed.. See what I mean.
Reply 31
So now we've switched from salaries to likelihood of getting employed.. See what I mean.

Haha, exactly. I'm here like well this escalated. To the other guys, this is about A levels and subject options. Anything else, we could later address but as of now, at the moment, this message is for students about to or who will eventually pick their A level subjects. Whether or not you agree with what they would like to study at university is another topic.

Quick Reply

Latest