The Student Room Group

How much do AS Level grades influence university offers?

Hi,

In my AS Levels I got AABC, and whilst I think my predicted grades will meet the requirements of the universities I'm looking at, I'm unsure as to the impact that going into A-Level with AS level grades of AAB will have on whether I get offers or not. My B grade was close to the A, and I believe that I can bring it up to an A next year, but I'm worried I won't get offers based on this B grade at AS.

So how much will this influence whether I get an offer or not from my chosen universities, assuming that my predicted grades will be on target?

[If it helps in answering, I have decided to apply to study History at Oxford, Bristol, and KCL so far. However, my choices are going to be influenced by the extent to which I might be disadvantaged by my AS level grades.]

Thank you for any replies
Original post by Glamdring5
Hi,

In my AS Levels I got AABC, and whilst I think my predicted grades will meet the requirements of the universities I'm looking at, I'm unsure as to the impact that going into A-Level with AS level grades of AAB will have on whether I get offers or not. My B grade was close to the A, and I believe that I can bring it up to an A next year, but I'm worried I won't get offers based on this B grade at AS.

So how much will this influence whether I get an offer or not from my chosen universities, assuming that my predicted grades will be on target?

[If it helps in answering, I have decided to apply to study History at Oxford, Bristol, and KCL so far. However, my choices are going to be influenced by the extent to which I might be disadvantaged by my AS level grades.]

The B isn't going to help, given that a good number of other applicants will have straight A's. Otoh, it's not terminal and I think I know of one person (@colourtheory ?) who got into Oxford for History with a B among their AS grades.

One tactic, btw, is to apply for those three unis initially and only add your other two after gauging the initial response.
Original post by Glamdring5
Hi,

I applied with the same grades at AS and finished with A*A*A and I'm at Oxford.. Unis are aware that students tend to under perform by a grade or two at AS. As long as you're predicted the grades, you're fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending