The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think restrictions on who can access the NHS are inherently wrong, and just push more people towards the private sector. I'm sure there are exceptions, but with things like smoking and obesity it doesn't seem fair at all-
Both of these are more prevalent in poorer populations,
Delaying some routine surgeries can lead to worsening of conditions,
Some conditions cause stress which triggers a person to smoke,
Some conditions make it harder for a person to lose weight (I'm thinking back injuries),
This type of policy is certain to lead to poorer quality of life, but not actually certain to have any impact upon these lifestyle factors. It's a very slippery slope to go down; what comes next- underweight, alcoholism?
Original post by JamesN88
Tbh it's particularly harsh on smokers, they pay their fair share in taxes on tobacco for the demand they create.

Fair shair????
I pay around £2200 on cigarettes per year...
I pay around £3450 towards the NHS per year...

The question people should REALLY be asking is....where are all our taxes going almost....all of a sudden!!???
Never turn on eachother when the government is clearly always the enemy...and it doesnt even take much to realise that fact. Just a little maths.
Why should we pay for the thousands of idiots like this who destroy their bodies? Especially when it takes care away from those who need it most.

If you ruin your body with obesity/smoking/drugs you have made your bed, lie in it.
Original post by remiremi
Why should we pay for the thousands of idiots like this who destroy their bodies? Especially when it takes care away from those who need it most.

If you ruin your body with obesity/smoking/drugs you have made your bed, lie in it.

What about people who are obese because of a medical condition, or addicted because they're on prescribed medication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
What about people who are obese because of a medical condition, or addicted because they're on prescribed medication.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since when was alcohol or tobacco prescribed?
Original post by MeYou2Night
Since when was alcohol or tobacco prescribed?

Can you only get addicted to nicotine (not tobacco) and alcohol?
Reply 126
I never knew the NHS was so based. I applaud them.

Latest

Trending

Trending