The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doll Parts
As memoryfish said, you can apply for an interest free loan to purchase an annual travel pass (or to buy a bike). They then take the monthly repayment directly from your salary.

You would get London Weighting Allowance if you work in London.

You get the standard bank holidays at Xmas, as you will be on modernised T&Cs. Some of your long serving colleagues will get an extra day, but that is because they are on unmodernised T&Cs. You do however get one extra 'privilege day' for the Queens Birthday. Most departments either add this to your leave or ask you to take it at some point in June.

Suppose you could always work an extra hour every day if you wanted an extra day's leave. Although in my experience in places I have worked where people are on different T&Cs it leads to poor morale though it has never bothered me. My attitude is ... That's just the advantage or luck of being there at the right time etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1261
This is correct, your driving license number includes your name. Make sure you enter it correctly or it will delay your DBS check, as they use this as one of the identifiers against PNC.

Hi, could you explain this driving licence number thing to me? The numbers in my licence number do not at all correlate with the numbers they're asking for. I have included the 1st 5 letters of my surname.
Original post by L16
Hi, could you explain this driving licence number thing to me? The numbers in my licence number do not at all correlate with the numbers they're asking for. I have included the 1st 5 letters of my surname.

Too long & complicated for me to write, so have copied & pasted from GOV.UK;

English, Welsh and Scottish driving licence numbers contain information about the applicant’s name, sex and date of birth. This information is written in a special format but can be gleaned and matched against the information provided by the applicant in Section A.

Please note that the date of birth on English, Welsh and Scottish driving licences, issued before 1977, is not recorded as a separate entry on the licence. The date of birth can be deciphered from the driving licence number and checked against the date of birth field on the application form.

For example, the format of the number for Christine Josephine Robinson, born 2 July 1975

R O B I N 7 5 7 0 2 5 C J 9 9 9 0 1

N N N N N Y M M D D Y I I C C C C C

N= 1st five letters of the surname (if the surname begins MAC or MC it is treated as MC for all).
Y = YEAR of birth.
M= MONTH of birth (In the case of a female, the number represented by the first M will have the value 5 added to the first digit e.g. a female born in November (i.e. 11) would display ‘61’ in the MM boxes or if born in February (i.e. 02) would display ‘52’).
D= DAY of month of birth.
I = Initial letter of the first two forenames - if only one, then 9 will replace the second letter. If the licence indicates that the applicant has a middle name, ensure that one has been provided in Section A.
C= Computer generated.

For Northern Ireland; Isle of Man and Jersey driving licences the licence number is in a different format. The licence number is unique to the driver and the ‘name’ or ‘date of birth’ validation, as shown above, cannot be used.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1263
Too long & complicated for me to write, so have copied & pasted from GOV.UK;

English, Welsh and Scottish driving licence numbers contain information about the applicant’s name, sex and date of birth. This information is written in a special format but can be gleaned and matched against the information provided by the applicant in Section A.

Please note that the date of birth on English, Welsh and Scottish driving licences, issued before 1977, is not recorded as a separate entry on the licence. The date of birth can be deciphered from the driving licence number and checked against the date of birth field on the application form.

For example, the format of the number for Christine Josephine Robinson, born 2 July 1975

R O B I N 7 5 7 0 2 5 C J 9 9 9 0 1

N N N N N Y M M D D Y I I C C C C C

N= 1st five letters of the surname (if the surname begins MAC or MC it is treated as MC for all).
Y = YEAR of birth.
M= MONTH of birth (In the case of a female, the number represented by the first M will have the value 5 added to the first digit e.g. a female born in November (i.e. 11) would display ‘61’ in the MM boxes or if born in February (i.e. 02) would display ‘52’).
D= DAY of month of birth.
I = Initial letter of the first two forenames - if only one, then 9 will replace the second letter. If the licence indicates that the applicant has a middle name, ensure that one has been provided in Section A.
C= Computer generated.

For Northern Ireland; Isle of Man and Jersey driving licences the licence number is in a different format. The licence number is unique to the driver and the ‘name’ or ‘date of birth’ validation, as shown above, cannot be used.

That's great, thank you. I'm in NI which would explain why it makes absolutely no sense to me.
Quite a lot of PNC info then! The employer will look at age, nature, relevance, pattern of offending, disposal and time since last offence.

Last offence was 2011. They are hardly really relevant to an HMRC role though. Surely they would be more interested, (or uninterested) should I say, in people who have been involved in fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, and the likes, no? :-) Either way, I have settled myself..will ring that DBS tomorrow and see what they say. I've already declared them previously, if I have to do it again, so be it. I was always told by my Grandmother that if something is meant for you, then it won't go past you. :-)
Reply 1265
Original post by sw1981
Last offence was 2011. They are hardly really relevant to an HMRC role though. Surely they would be more interested, (or uninterested) should I say, in people who have been involved in fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, and the likes, no? :-) Either way, I have settled myself..will ring that DBS tomorrow and see what they say. I've already declared them previously, if I have to do it again, so be it. I was always told by my Grandmother that if something is meant for you, then it won't go past you. :-)

Basically this. I did some temp work for the CSA late last year / beginning of this year, and they flat out stated that the DBS check was to cover things like fraud, abuse of positions, breaking data protection etc. They really didn't care for people caught speeding, assault etc.

Admittedly they were desperate for staffing at that point, so it may be different for HMRC.
Reply 1266
Original post by sw1981

i think it varies by department. im at hmcts and a temp worker dbs came back with a spent assault charge and he wasn't kept on. it does vary by department by department. i am unsure how hmrc policy apply.

i received a dbs and health questionaire. im from the feb 2016 pool. anyone know how long it takes on average for a formal from that date
Test
Reply 1268
Does anyone know if you have to select yes for the criminal offence question for penalty points?
Original post by sw1981

Didn't you say you've been done for assault twice? I'd say that is relevant...
Original post by L16
Does anyone know if you have to select yes for the criminal offence question for penalty points?

Lol, speeding doesn't lead to a criminal conviction as such. As long as you've not been done for driving without due care etc... Points on your licence is not a criminal conviction!
Original post by Mega0448
Didn't you say you've been done for assault twice? I'd say that is relevant...

Yes, I have been done with assault twice, both of which were a considerable time ago, and both of which I declared in black and white on the sheets we were requested to bring on the day of interview, which in my case was last November. I may be wrong, but I don't honestly think that particular sheet of mine hasn't been looked at by at least someone between now and then. I'm just being logical...if it was an issue, why would they have even wasted not only my time since then, but their own in keeping my details on their system, along with perhaps 1000s of others? It would have been flagged up almost straight away after interview scores were calculated, and a reserve list drawn up. Either way, I've stopped annoying myself about it. I will ring DBS tomorrow to ask them about it, and if I have to declare them, AGAIN, then I will. :-)
Original post by sw1981
I have a caution for being drunk and disorderly, and obstructing police from when I was like 17, and two convictions for assault, both of which were a considerable time ago also. Not a single point on my driving license though, would that help? Lol. :-P

Wether to disclose a conviction or not,depends on wether conviction is spent or unspent ,the security requirements of the Job and if the job exempt from the Rehabilitation of offenders act (exempt Jobs are jobs invloving work with children and vulnerable adults ,national securtiy)In my opinion if the job advert states the security requirements as BASIC SECURITY such as the current internal advert HO tax vacancies(O42R) Higher Officer Caseworkers (Tax Professional and Operational Delivery) Reference number1506841 X1000 VacanciesYou do need to declare any spent convictions,as per rehabilitation of offenders.your convictions are Spent if conviction is over 5 years old and you did not serve any prison time CS JOBS will undertake Starndard DBS checks, all convictions will show on the certificate (spent and unspent),but they are not able to disclose spent convictions to HMRC.They are only able to disclose unspent convictions to HMRC
Reply 1273
Original post by Chance700
Wether to disclose a conviction or not,depends on wether conviction is spent or unspent ,the security requirements of the Job and if the job exempt from the Rehabilitation of offenders act (exempt Jobs are jobs invloving work with children and vulnerable adults ,national securtiy)In my opinion if the job advert states the security requirements as BASIC SECURITY such as the current internal advert HO tax vacancies(O42R) Higher Officer Caseworkers (Tax Professional and Operational Delivery) Reference number1506841 X1000 VacanciesYou do need to declare any spent convictions,as per rehabilitation of offenders.your convictions are Spent if conviction is over 5 years old and you did not serve any prison time CS JOBS will undertake Starndard DBS checks, all convictions will show on the certificate (spent and unspent),but they are not able to disclose spent convictions to HMRC.They are only able to disclose unspent convictions to HMRC

The dbs form hmrc asks you to fill doesn't state unspent conviction. It asks if you ever been cautioned convicted etc. I think they want you to declare everything. Unsure of hmrc policy though regarding convictions
Original post by sw1981
Yes, I have been done with assault twice, both of which were a considerable time ago, and both of which I declared in black and white on the sheets we were requested to bring on the day of interview, which in my case was last November. I may be wrong, but I don't honestly think that particular sheet of mine hasn't been looked at by at least someone between now and then. I'm just being logical...if it was an issue, why would they have even wasted not only my time since then, but their own in keeping my details on their system, along with perhaps 1000s of others? It would have been flagged up almost straight away after interview scores were calculated, and a reserve list drawn up. Either way, I've stopped annoying myself about it. I will ring DBS tomorrow to ask them about it, and if I have to declare them, AGAIN, then I will. :-)

It sounds as if you chose to declare.

From what you are telling us you probably did not need to.

If i were you i would not worry ,as all the convictions are over five years ago

The law has recently been changed and the rehabilitation period has been reduced (from 5 Years) for certain types of offences

Well my last one was December 2011, with no custodial sentence...just a fine. :-)
Original post by mabze
The dbs form hmrc asks you to fill doesn't state unspent conviction. It asks if you ever been cautioned convicted etc. I think they want you to declare everything. Unsure of hmrc policy though regarding convictions

As the post does not require the following clearance:
Developed vetting
Security Clearance
Counter terrorism Check
and is not exempt under the rehabilitation of offenders.

Than you are the treated as somebody who has never been convicted if convictions are spent.

Please see guidance..
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-guidance-on-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974
"If an employer takes into account a conviction or caution which they are not entitled to ask about they are acting unlawfully under the 1974 Act. If the employer asks you whether you have any cautions and convictions and the Exceptions Order does not apply to the job or activity, you need only disclose those that are unspent. "

You are completely wrong. All posts in HMRC are eligible for Standard Disclosures as per the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975.

You are confusing this by referring to the security clearance, Baseline Personnel Security Standard (Basic), which is different to the Employment vetting they are doing here.

The advert mentions Basic to differentiate from SC, CTC and DV clearance. These are the security clearances that are done by Departmental Security Units and allow access to different levels of classified information. For these posts you won't have access to Secret or Top Secret information so only Basic security clearance is required; this is done ALONGSIDE the Standard Disclosure.

So please don't suggest that anyone should not declare their spent offences, as that is simply the wrong advice and could cost someone a job.
(edited 7 years ago)
You are completely wrong. All posts in HMRC are eligible for Standard Disclosures as per the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975.

You are confusing this by referring to the security clearance, Baseline Personnel Security Standard (Basic), which is different to the Employment vetting they are doing here.

The advert mentions Basic to differentiate from SC, CTC and DV clearance. These are the security clearances that are done by Departmental Security Units and allow access to different levels of classified information. For these posts you won't have access to Secret or Top Secret information so only Basic security clearance is required; this is done ALONGSIDE the Standard Disclosure.

So please don't suggest that anyone should not declare their spent offences, as that is simply the wrong advice and could cost someone a job.

Anyway guys I'm bringing this thread back to the topic.... I hope the offers for the job come out this week!!! And I hope they won't use the reserve list!
Original post by sw1981
Well my last one was December 2011, with no custodial sentence...just a fine. :-)

Rehabilitation period for for a fine is 1 year.So you are well passed that,so are you okay in my opinion.

There are some exepmt occupations and you always have to declarare but the tax speacilsit is not one if them.

This list is if exempt occupations from Rehabilitation of offenders act
Examples of the types of occupations, posts and activities in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 Please be aware that this is not a comprehensive list and merely gives an indication of the general types of employment that are included in the Exceptions Order. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. Regulated activity with children and other activities which involve working closely with children such as caring for, training, supervising or being solely in charge of children under 18 (including adoption, fostering, day care and childminding) Regulated activity and other activities which involve caring for, training, supervising or being solely in charge of other people in vulnerable circumstances (including social work and advocacy services) Employment in healthcare professions (including medical practitioners, dentists, nurses, midwives, optometrists, registered pharmacists and osteopaths) Employment concerned with national security (including the provision of air traffic services and employment by the UK Atomic Energy Authority) Employment in the legal profession (including barristers, solicitors, legal executives, the Crown Prosecution Service and judicial appointments) Offices and positions in HM Courts and Tribunals Service and the Judicial Office (including Justices’ and sheriff’s, court and tribunal security officers and contractors with unsupervised access to court-houses, tribunal buildings, offices and other accommodation used in relation to the court or tribunal) Employment in law enforcement (including police constables and cadets, the naval, military and air force police, traffic wardens and employment in the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) Offices responsible for the enforcement of warrants and writs (including Court officers who execute county court warrants, High Court enforcement officers, sheriffs and Civilian enforcement officers) Employment in the Prison and Probation Services (including prison and probation officers, members of boards of visitors etc. Employment in the financial sector (including chartered and certified accountants, actuaries and all positions for which the Financial Conduct Authority or the competent authority for listings are entitled to ask exempted questions to fulfil their obligations under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000) For licensing purposes (including the National Lottery, gambling, firearms and drugs licensing purposes, Security Industry Authority licences, and licensing hackney

Latest

Trending

Trending