The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PapaSmurf46
My wife interviewed at the same time, and got offered an HO post, started back in Feb, and she got a 766 or 776 in her interview (cant remember which)

Very good. Does she enjoy it? What's the work like etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Very good. Does she enjoy it? What's the work like etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

She does. A lot of training(13 months in total), so she is only starting to actually do any "real" work recently, while still learning.

All going well so far
She does. A lot of training(13 months in total), so she is only starting to actually do any "real" work recently, while still learning.

All going well so far

Yes they said there was a long training aspect. What sorta real work is it? The whole campaign was so generic it was hard to see exactly what you would be doing. What hours does she work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Yes they said there was a long training aspect. What sorta real work is it? The whole campaign was so generic it was hard to see exactly what you would be doing. What hours does she work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

She normally works 8-4 although it is flexi, so building is open 7-7 i think, and as long as you do your 7.5 hours, its pretty much up to you.

I think depending on which team or department you are in it can vary.

She is in enforcement and compliance, so she gets assigned cases, then liaises with clients to check their returns to make sure they have paid the right amount of tax, and then if not arrange for it to be paid.

So face to face and phone meetings are very likely.

And as you ca imagine the types of cases and occupations are very varied.
She normally works 8-4 although it is flexi, so building is open 7-7 i think, and as long as you do your 7.5 hours, its pretty much up to you.

I think depending on which team or department you are in it can vary.

She is in enforcement and compliance, so she gets assigned cases, then liaises with clients to check their returns to make sure they have paid the right amount of tax, and then if not arrange for it to be paid.

So face to face and phone meetings are very likely.

And as you ca imagine the types of cases and occupations are very varied.

It's very possible we at the lower O grade may not be doing enforcement and compliance "Operation delivery" is the phrase a lot of people miss on the job ad. That's the basic civil service role which is probably doing very basic work ... I'd imagine those with the lowest scores would be doing the basic work .... Logically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hellojo
Ohhh this changes everything lol.*

How's the job? How you getting on?
Has anyone starting in Corporation Tax got my start date as HO?
Reply 87
Got an email yesterday evening from someone at HMRC and got excited. It was just an email saying "we are having trouble confirming your identity. Please provide your full name and candidate reference number as we are closing this campaign tomorrow."

On the plus side, it means they're actually looking at our offers/checks now.
Original post by MikalM
Got an email yesterday evening from someone at HMRC and got excited. It was just an email saying "we are having trouble confirming your identity. Please provide your full name and candidate reference number as we are closing this campaign tomorrow."

On the plus side, it means they're actually looking at our offers/checks now.

If they are closing the campaign tomorrow, I wonder does that mean the formal offers may follow soon?
Reply 89
Any previous NI civil servants on here who have moved to hmrc? I have a provisional offer and have a query. Does your leave entitlement, or years accrued towards a new leave entitlement, transfer across? I am already on 30 days leave in nics. Will I automatically get this? Will it start when I hit 10 years service (currently on 9)? Or will I start from scratch on 22 days? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GNH
Any previous NI civil servants on here who have moved to hmrc? I have a provisional offer and have a query. Does your leave entitlement, or years accrued towards a new leave entitlement, transfer across? I am already on 30 days leave in nics. Will I automatically get this? Will it start when I hit 10 years service (currently on 9)? Or will I start from scratch on 22 days? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The U.K. Civil Service is a completely different organisation from the NICS. Controlled by the Uk government in London. They also do not recognise NIPSA. You get all the same stat days etc but I very much doubt accrued leave etc would be transferred across

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by Jamz115
The U.K. Civil Service is a completely different organisation from the NICS. Controlled by the Uk government in London. They also do not recognise NIPSA. You get all the same stat days etc but I very much doubt accrued leave etc would be transferred across

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm thinking the same although the fact that I'm able to apply as an internal candidate gives me some hope...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Possibly. I suppose it would be worth checking out with the union responsible when you join .... Maybe something you could challenge? Not too sure you'd want to do that so soon tho lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GNH

Posted from TSR Mobile

You only get 30 days leave after 10 years of service at HMRC. So I'd think best case scenario would be you drop to 25 days and they honour your service elsewhere, so as you're on 9 years you may have to wait a year to go back up to 30 days.*

It's quite an interesting question this, but nobody on here will be able to help so you're best off emailing Civil Service Resourcing directly. *
Reply 94
Original post by Mega0448
You only get 30 days leave after 10 years of service at HMRC. So I'd think best case scenario would be you drop to 25 days and they honour your service elsewhere, so as you're on 9 years you may have to wait a year to go back up to 30 days.*

It's quite an interesting question this, but nobody on here will be able to help so you're best off emailing Civil Service Resourcing directly. *

Thanks. Ive had no response from them so thought I'd check if anyone on here had gone through similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Received an email this morning asking me to complete an online DBS form,and to complete and return a Health Declaration Form.

So looks like things are moving along.

Anyone else get one?
Reply 96
Received an email this morning asking me to complete an online DBS form,and to complete and return a Health Declaration Form.

So looks like things are moving along.

Anyone else get one?

Same - 8am too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Got one too.

Hopefully itll be sent to them and back within 2 weeks, and a formal start date offered after that.
Original post by MikalM
Got one too.

Hopefully itll be sent to them and back within 2 weeks, and a formal start date offered after that.

Hmm... Think that's very optimistic lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending