The Student Room Group

Help with A-Levels subjects

So I'm in my first week (first year) of sixth form, the subjects I'm currently doing are:
Maths
Computing
Economics (Kinda, I will explain further on)

I'd like to go on to study Computer Science at University. After my first few lessons of Economics I feel as though I'm not that interested in the subject and It won't benefit me with what I want to go onto do. So I felt that changing Economics to Physics would give me more opportunities and be more useful, It also fits nicely with Maths and Computing.

But now after doing a lesson of Physics I realise that I'm going to have to be putting in a lot of extra work as I'm not the best at It, and I feel as though I will struggle a lot and this is going to drag down my other subjects.

I haven't officially changed to Physics yet, I just went in a lesson to see if I wanted to do It or not. But now I don't know! Do I need Physics for Computer Science?

I know that I will have to put in effort for Economics, but as its only a subject at A level, we are all being taught brand new stuff, so what It could mean is that everyone in the class has the same knowledge and It would be nice to all be at the same level of understanding and could make it easier (If that makes sense)

Also I've heard that Economics is a lot easier compared to Physics?

I really need help as i literally have a day or so to decide.

Edit: I'm really passionate about Computing and Maths (I got an A* in Computing, at the start i was predicted to get the lowest mark in the whole class and also an A in Maths which I was in set 3 for at GCSE, But I put in a lot of hard work, staying behind after school for longer and revising loads to achieve this) and when I get into it and understand what i'm doing I really enjoy it, But for the third subject there is nothing I really want to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Physics would complement it well, but if you don't think you can manage it (and it's definitely not easy) then you should avoid dragging yourself down with it and learn the physical parts of CompSci when you have to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JCal
Physics would complement it well, but if you don't think you can manage it (and it's definitely not easy) then you should avoid dragging yourself down with it and learn the physical parts of CompSci when you have to.

If you take a look at the entry requirements here - https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/bsc-computing-science
Weird enough

"One A level or equivalent is required in the following subjects: Mathematics, Computing, Physics, Electronics or Economics"

I find It strange that Economics Is listed...
But I guess that I will continue with Economics as I feel Physics will be too hard for me.

Quick Reply

Latest