The Student Room Group

Help with S1 EDEXCEL

Are we supposed to know the definitions? like for contious data> and do we need to know about the statistical model?

Or

Does examsolutions go over everything you need to know about S1 including definitions etc..?

And can you explain discrete data I dont get it
Original post by shohaib712
Are we supposed to know the definitions? like for contious data> and do we need to know about the statistical model?

Or

Does examsolutions go over everything you need to know about S1 including definitions etc..?

And can you explain discrete data I dont get it

Can't help you with examsolutions as I've never read it.

You need to know (and understand) what a statistical model is about, although the current (Edexcel) examiner doesn't seem to have the same fascination for testing definitions as the previous one.

Discrete data is for any variable where the values go up in jumps. most of these are just integers (number of children in class, exam mark......) but not necessarily. My favourite is shoe size, which goes up in 0.5 jumps - 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4,.....
Original post by tiny hobbit
Can't help you with examsolutions as I've never read it.

You need to know (and understand) what a statistical model is about, although the current (Edexcel) examiner doesn't seem to have the same fascination for testing definitions as the previous one.

Discrete data is for any variable where the values go up in jumps. most of these are just integers (number of children in class, exam mark......) but not necessarily. My favourite is shoe size, which goes up in 0.5 jumps - 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4,.....

He goes over most of the spec via videos but doesnt talk about the statistical model nor the definitions

Do you need to know the advantages and disadvantages for the statistical model? will there be a question about it?

thanks for the help :biggrin:
Yes you need to know the statistical model process. As well as their uses.

I think there is a question that came up in a 2007 paper which tested this.

Check the spec for the other definitions you need to know.
It is 12 am and I have just thought of this, so not sure if it is actually catchy or will make you start saying discrate , but number of crates of something is discrete - you can't have 1.5 crates. Dis crate is discrete. There xan be 1,2,3...

You need to be able to understand what continuous data is though, mostly for applyibg it in questions subconsciously.
Original post by SeanFM
It is 12 am and I have just thought of this, so not sure if it is actually catchy or will make you start saying discrate , but number of crates of something is discrete - you can't have 1.5 crates. Dis crate is discrete. There xan be 1,2,3...

You need to be able to understand what continuous data is though, mostly for applyibg it in questions subconsciously.

bassically in whole numbers?
bassically in whole numbers?

Yes. I think colours, car models etc count too. And continuous.. I guess you can think of a continuous line on a number line (i.e no gaps between whole numbers) so it can take any value. Eg height, weight are classic examples.
Original post by hellomynameisr
Yes you need to know the statistical model process. As well as their uses.

I think there is a question that came up in a 2007 paper which tested this.

Check the spec for the other definitions you need to know.

The question looks very simple TBH. So just learn the 7 steps and also pros/cons of it?
Is the statistical model the same as mathematical modelling? it says "mathematical modelling in probability and satistics" in the spec

Thanks for the help :biggrin:
The question looks very simple TBH. So just learn the 7 steps and also pros/cons of it?
Is the statistical model the same as mathematical modelling? it says "mathematical modelling in probability and satistics" in the spec

Thanks for the help :biggrin:

Pretty much, yeah.

Yes they are the same.

Np :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest