The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at going to oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Giotto
Just to confirm - I thought this post was a joke, and I thought I was playing along with it. Just apply. You sound fine, your school's prestige doesn't matter, coming from a really prestigious one may even set the bar higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, I guess I didn't sound too serious in my question/statement. But thanks.
Original post by lalaa64
what can i do to make myself stand out ?

Either dye your hair orange or stand on a box. Or both.
Reply 22
Original post by caryshansonxx
I went to Oxford in the summer for a summer school. It doesn't matter if your rich or not, Oxford sometimes prefers you to be from a not well known school because if you then do well it shows you did it. It wasn't something drilled into you. That's what I was told. There are so many bursaries as well. I know Oxford and Cambridge look at your gcse's grades when other uni's might not. But there is definitely not a set number of A*s you need to get in.
You should definitely apply, if your predicted A*A*A and Oxford asks for AAA you can do it. Anyway, it's still only 1 spot on your application. So it won't kill you applying. To raise your chance of being accepted, they want to know your passion for it. Why do you love your subject? What makes you want to study it, then proof of this. So did you read a book or an article that made you more interested. They want to see you'll be good at it, they want to see potential.
I hope this helps

Honestly, that's exactly the way I viewed it too. And did you enjoy the summer school? Btw thank you so much, that helped me improve my personal statement more x which university did you go?
Is everyone here talking about GCSE A*'s at A LEVEL because from my understanding, (believe it's been said) they don't care about GCSE levels but only look at the AS/A level grades.
Reply 24
Original post by Good bloke
Either dye your hair orange or stand on a box. Or both.

Why orange?
Reply 25
Original post by redsoules
Is everyone here talking about GCSE A*'s at A LEVEL because from my understanding, (believe it's been said) they don't care about GCSE levels but only look at the AS/A level grades.

i think people have the perception that cambridge and oxford view your GCSE grades and prefer you to have more A*s in their cases. If that's true then I'm screwed..
Original post by lalaa64
Why orange?

It is guaranteed to achieve the desired effect. That is why most lifejackets are orange.
Reply 27
Original post by Good bloke
It is guaranteed to achieve the desired effect. That is why most lifejackets are orange.

Interesting.. I don't know if orange would suit me though
Original post by lalaa64
Wow, thank you so much for your reply. I am actually going to attend the Open Day this Friday and look forward to meeting the students and learning more about how I can apply to the collegiate. Where will I be able to find these students or your department?

Just turn up to Brasenose and we will put you on a college tour with either Ben, Kierri, or Sam (three undergrads reading English have volunteered to be helpers). We are open from 9am until 5pm. There is an English Tutor drop in from 2-4pm.

The English Faculty's events are geared towards the morning (so you might do bets to come to visit us after going to the Faculty first):

http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/prospective-undergraduates/open-days.html

Ella is our student volunteering to help at the Faculty - but there will be other currrent students there as well.

No booking is needed for either the college or the Faculty.
I really enjoyed the summer school, Oxford is such a lovely place. I'm glad that helped. I'm like you, I'm applying now. To start next year
Reply 30
Why would you believe you wouldn't?
Reply 31
Original post by caryshansonxx
I really enjoyed the summer school, Oxford is such a lovely place. I'm glad that helped. I'm like you, I'm applying now. To start next year

Thank youu, I'm going to see it tomorrow so lets hope it goes well, and best of luck x
Reply 32
Original post by Zeumryn
Why would you believe you wouldn't?

I guess I had never envisioned myself ever considering to apply there or that I would ever be clever enough. I don't know..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending