The Student Room Group

What universities for Physics?

Hi, I will be applying for Physics for 2017 entry. I am hoping to do an integrated masters (MPhys/MSci) course.

So far I've got Edinburgh, Nottingham, and St Andrews down as choices but I'm stuck on finding the other two.

Here is some background information about me:

Fairly decent GCSEs (3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs, & a Level 2 Distinction*)

Good AS grades (AAAB, might go up to AAAA after remark) in Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, Maths

Contextual factors: first generation uni student; deprived area postcode; state sixth form with A-level attainment below national average

Teacher predicted grades of A*A*A in Physics, Chemistry, Maths

Personal predicted grades of AAA (hopefully the imo inflated teacher predicted grades will increase my chances of getting offers)

Here are my only preferences on a uni:

Typical offers of AAA/AAB/ABB

Generally well-regarded, doesn't have to be top 10 though or anything like that

Good bursaries/funding available (I'll be getting no money for uni other than my maintenance loan, which is the full one)

Preferably no formal interview (I won't be able to get driven down so it may be hard to get there)

Not in the North East of England (I already live there and I kind of want to get away...)

~50 miles away minimum, ~200 miles away maximum (can be somewhat flexible though)

Year abroad or year in industry available (doesn't matter too much)

Thanks in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Warwick
Loughborough???

To be honest with those kind of grades you can go pretty much anywhere you want
Bristol, Bath or Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birmingham has a great reputation for Physics and with your predicted grades it is likely they will offer you an unconditional offer.
Exeter and Bristol make contextual offers and if your school is in the bottom 40% based on previous years A level results then you will be offered AAB.
Have a think about the maximum and minimum distances from home you'd be happy with to narrow it down... e.g. Southampton might be a possibility on paper but tbh I think that's a long way to travel especially in January when it might have snowed heavily.
Reply 5
Original post by Laurenafenete
Warwick
Loughborough???

To be honest with those kind of grades you can go pretty much anywhere you want

Warwick unfortunately requires A*AA and as I mentioned in my post, I honestly believe I will achieve AAA maximum.
Loughborough is definitely an option though, especially with their year in industry. Thanks!

Original post by mizzsnazzter
Bristol, Bath or Imperial?

Not sure about Bristol. Whilst I do get a lower offer (contextual) from them, Bristol seems like a pretty expensive place to live in and I had a look at their bursaries and they weren't too good. The other universities you mentioned are asking for grades higher than what I think I can achieve. Thanks.

Original post by swansea jack 1
Birmingham has a great reputation for Physics and with your predicted grades it is likely they will offer you an unconditional offer.
Exeter and Bristol make contextual offers and if your school is in the bottom 40% based on previous years A level results then you will be offered AAB.

Unfortunately Birmingham's unconditional offer scheme does not include Physics, and even if they did whilst my AS results are pretty good (AAAB which might go up to AAAA after remark) my GCSEs are probably below what the average physics applicant holds (3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs).
I wouldn't be able to afford Bristol, but Exeter with a year abroad seems like a good option. Thanks!

Original post by Joinedup
Have a think about the maximum and minimum distances from home you'd be happy with to narrow it down... e.g. Southampton might be a possibility on paper but tbh I think that's a long way to travel especially in January when it might have snowed heavily.

Hmm yes that's a good point. I guess I wouldn't want to go too far South then but to be honest I'm willing to make sacrifices to get a better education. If I had to estimate though I'd say minimum of 50 miles away and maximum of 200 miles. Thanks.
Apparently Manchester is quite good for physics? Just what I've heard from people that I know at Manchester.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by amingo26
Apparently Manchester is quite good for physics? Just what I've heard from people that I know at Manchester.

Thanks for the response. Yeah they're amazing for Physics but their entry requirements are higher than what I think I can achieve. If I flunk my A-levels though I'll probably apply for their science foundation year.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks for the response. Yeah they're amazing for Physics but their entry requirements are higher than what I think I can achieve. If I flunk my A-levels though I'll probably apply for their science foundation year.

I'm sure you'll make it!
I love Manchester, such a lovely city as well as a lovely uni. If offers everything you ask for! True, always a foundation year to consider if the exams don't go in your favour.

Their entry requirements are super inflated though because of Brian Cox.
Original post by Plagioclase

Unfortunately, very true.
I'm sure you'll make it!
I love Manchester, such a lovely city as well as a lovely uni. If offers everything you ask for! True, always a foundation year to consider if the exams don't go in your favour.

Thanks, realistically though I'm aiming for AAA.

What do you reckon they should be instead? Durham's Physics entry requirements are inflated too imo, except they don't have a famous lecturer to back it up but I suppose they have a stronger national reputation than Manchester whereas Manchester easily wins in international prestige.
Cardiff and Swansea both offer the grades you require if you would wish to look into it. It is fairly easy to get to either with a direct train from the North East to Bristol Parkway and a change on the same platform to both. Alternatively I believe Flybe might fly to Cardiff and Easy Jet Newcastle to Bristol. Similarly there is a direct train Newcastle to Exeter and I think Flybe fly between the cities
Original post by swansea jack 1
Cardiff and Swansea both offer the grades you require if you would wish to look into it. It is fairly easy to get to either with a direct train from the North East to Bristol Parkway and a change on the same platform to both. Alternatively I believe Flybe might fly to Cardiff and Easy Jet Newcastle to Bristol. Similarly there is a direct train Newcastle to Exeter and I think Flybe fly between the cities

Thanks, I'll look into those two. Didn't even consider getting a flight, but after looking it up it's easier/better than getting the train logistically and financially.

Not sure about Bristol. Whilst I do get a lower offer (contextual) from them, Bristol seems like a pretty expensive place to live in and I had a look at their bursaries and they weren't too good. The other universities you mentioned are asking for grades higher than what I think I can achieve. Thanks.

I think you're dumbing yourself down too much. If your teachers think you could get A*AA then it's worth punching above and not settling for a lower down university because you don't have the confidence. Your teachers think you can do it so you clearly have the ability, so rather than saying you don't think you can do it, say I'm going to make sure I can do it! You'll always regret it if you settle.

Also Bristol may be marginally more expensive than Birmingham / Manchester, but in the scheme of things it's really not that different! (For non London unis) and when you're spending £40k+ on a degree, an additional £20/month for rent is really negligible... Basically what I'm saying is don't rule anything out just yet, choose the place you like and enjoy because the cost will be so marginally it will be barely noticeable with the rest of the debt

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
I think you're dumbing yourself down too much. If your teachers think you could get A*AA then it's worth punching above and not settling for a lower down university because you don't have the confidence. Your teachers think you can do it so you clearly have the ability, so rather than saying you don't think you can do it, say I'm going to make sure I can do it! You'll always regret it if you settle.

Also Bristol may be marginally more expensive than Birmingham / Manchester, but in the scheme of things it's really not that different! (For non London unis) and when you're spending £40k+ on a degree, an additional £20/month for rent is really negligible... Basically what I'm saying is don't rule anything out just yet, choose the place you like and enjoy because the cost will be so marginally it will be barely noticeable with the rest of the debt

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you very much! I think I'll apply to Manchester too then.
Reply 16
If you like Edinburgh, St Andrews and Notts I imagine you would also like Durham
It has nothing to do with Brian Cox, he only lectures part of one course in first year and nobody who applies there does so because of him.

What do you reckon they should be instead? Durham's Physics entry requirements are inflated too imo, except they don't have a famous lecturer to back it up but I suppose they have a stronger national reputation than Manchester whereas Manchester easily wins in international prestige.
Manchester and Durham are both great for Physics and are probably only outed by oxbridge and imperial. You should give Manchester a shot though as I know quite a few people in my year there who got in with AAA although it was mainly down to them having other stuff to make up for missing the offer (Great PS, did EPQ etc).
Look at this guy saying "not in London"

As if you wouldn't wet your pants if UCL, KCL Or Imperial gave you an offer for Physics.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
It has nothing to do with Brian Cox, he only lectures part of one course in first year and nobody who applies there does so because of him.

The bolded part, as ridiculous as I agree it is, is not true. Brian Cox's popularity has without a doubt increased the number of applications to his department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending