The Student Room Group

Need fast help please

Hi everyone,
I was planning to apply to oxford for biochemistry, the entry requirements are A*AA but my predicted grades are AAA, there's no way my teachers will increase them. My AS results are AAA.
Is it worth applying to oxford with these predicted grades?
When I was in sixth form, we were told to apply to 1 or 2 'optimistic universities', i.e. with entry requirements one or two grades higher than our predicted grades, 1 or 2 'realistic universities', i.e. with entry requirements matching our predicted grades, and 1 or 2 'back up universities' i.e. with entry requirements slightly lower than our predicted grades. Therefore, I'd suggest applying to Oxford as your optimistic university, with 2 other realistic universities and 2 other back up universities, for example :smile:
Original post by FJCX
Hi everyone,
I was planning to apply to oxford for biochemistry, the entry requirements are A*AA but my predicted grades are AAA, there's no way my teachers will increase them. My AS results are AAA.
Is it worth applying to oxford with these predicted grades?

It is very unlikely that you will get an offer if you're not predicted at least the minimum entry requirements (another thing to bear in mind is that Oxford does not usually show leniency with missed offers so even if you got an offer, you would need to get that A*AA). As Leviathan says, there's no particular risk applying anyway as long as your other choices are more realistic, just be clear that the chances of you getting an offer from Oxford are not high.
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
When I was in sixth form, we were told to apply to 1 or 2 'optimistic universities', i.e. with entry requirements one or two grades higher than our predicted grades, 1 or 2 'realistic universities', i.e. with entry requirements matching our predicted grades, and 1 or 2 'back up universities' i.e. with entry requirements slightly lower than our predicted grades. Therefore, I'd suggest applying to Oxford as your optimistic university, with 2 other realistic universities and 2 other back up universities, for example :smile:

Thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
It is very unlikely that you will get an offer if you're not predicted at least the minimum entry requirements (another thing to bear in mind is that Oxford does not usually show leniency with missed offers so even if you got an offer, you would need to get that A*AA). As Leviathan says, there's no particular risk applying anyway as long as your other choices are more realistic, just be clear that the chances of you getting an offer from Oxford are not high.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest