The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mm_7
does anyone know how i can improve my sjt score??? i have read the gmc good medical practice but it wasn't of must help... i keep on getting partially correct answers when i want to be getting fully correct answers ... any tips???

Weirdly I manage to do quite well in this section when practicing!

Biggest tip is to go by what you SHOULD do, rather than what you WOULD do. The main areas that come up include key topics such as

-confidentiality - if the matter involves patient information it needs to be kept confidential (so it would be very inappropriate for a couple of doctors to be talking about a particular patient in a public place for example)

-professionalism - make sure that the actions are within professional boundaries. Also, the patient's wants and needs ALWAYS come first (apart from in extreme circumstances when what they want is deemed unethical etc)

-honesty - if someone tells you about a difficult situation they are in and asks you to promise not to tell anyone, you shouldn't agree to it and then lie.

You'll get the hang of it with practice, honest. I wish SJT was included within the actual score! It would bring my average up by a lot :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Weirdly I manage to do quite well in this section when practicing!

Biggest tip is to go by what you SHOULD do, rather than what you WOULD do. The main areas that come up include key topics such as

-confidentiality - if the matter involves patient information it needs to be kept confidential (so it would be very inappropriate for a couple of doctors to be talking about a particular patient in a public place for example)

-professionalism - make sure that the actions are within professional boundaries. Also, the patient's wants and needs ALWAYS come first (apart from in extreme circumstances when what they want is deemed as unethical etc)

-honesty - if someone tells you about a difficult situation they are in and asks you to promise not to tell anyone, you shouldn't agree to it and then lie.

You'll get the hang of it with practice, honest. I wish SJT was included within the actual score! It would bring my average up by a lot :frown:

Thanks soo much for this advice i will bear this in mind when i am practicing... i totally agree with you on the sjt being included... that would raise everyone's average up alot ... :frown:
Original post by mm_7
Thanks soo much for this advice i will bear this in mind when i am practicing... i totally agree with you on the sjt being included... that would raise everyone's average up alot ... :frown:

You're welcome :smile: Ikr ugh, I'm personally really worried about QR as my mental maths isn't great at all :/ good luck for yours!
How many do you have to get right in SJT to get band 1. im averaging out at 45/69 excluding partial marks be idk how they count that.
Has anyone on here revised for 2 weeks and got an average score of 700+? *
Original post by DaVinciGirl
Hey
I just UKCAT Practice Paper A, and I found it so difficult. I did well in VR, but in QR I got only 11 correct. I just found it really hard. Can anyone tell me if the first paper is like the actual exam? If yes then I'm screwed :redface:

Also which website is best to improve my QR?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg Lol I was worried about the same exact thing lololol IT was crazy that paper I asked about this earlier and yeah everyone who did good told me that that paper was extremely hard and even the QR it had extrememly long questions and that take you a while i got a 11 on my first time tooo >.> and I was soo scared cause in medify I always got aroudn 75% for QR So jsut calm lol I figured the best thing to practice for the UKCAT is to not stress out when I do questions completely disregarding the ticking clock but at a good pace I end up getting a wayyy higher score.Rushing might help you finish the whole thing but accuracy drops by a realllly large amount. I'd rather do 40/50 questions right for sure and then guess the last 10 rather than doign all 50 but not being sure abotu any
Original post by pvk19.
Thank you!!! May I ask how much did you score in the actual thing and how much preparation you did? I panic in the VR only because i skim read the passage and i forget when i read the question, so I tend to take the searching for keywords approach! Thanks again x

I got:
VR 680
QR 850
AR 690
SJ Band 2 :frown:

I did the 1000 qus book once and had medify for a week and did about 1000 questions on that plus two mocks. I would personally suggest doing more than I have done, as I feel that I could have done better in VR and AR with more practice.

Hope that helps you!
Hey everyone I just did my Medify Mock 2... I got 650 in QR, 650 in VR, 770 in AR adn SJT band 2..... Should i be worried.... o.o Im kinda scared.. I realized i made a huge mistake of flagging all the type 2 VR question to do the t/f/ct questions first and wasted a lot of time like that and i didnt really flag the hard QR questions which i feel like i shudve done cause I couldn't finish it... How did all of you do in your medify 2 mocks and how did they compare to your actual score?
is it worth applying to St Georges with an average of 627 and band 2? :/
Original post by exotical
is it worth applying to St Georges with an average of 627 and band 2? :/

Most likely not as their cut off score for interview last year was 650.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is a two week subscription to medify good enough to improve my skills?
Hi!! I sat the UKCAT today at 8:45 and would love a few suggestions regarding where is best to apply and avoid in regards to my score:

VR-640
QR-800
AR-620
STJ- Band 1

I initially intended to apply to Cardiff, Birmingham, Newcastle and Liverpool. Would you say these are sensible choices regarding my average? I'm happy with my results considering I went in expecting failure due to my inability to believe in myself and just want to maximise my chances of getting into medical school this year so I don't have to resit the wretched thing🙃
Original post by aamin96
Is a two week subscription to medify good enough to improve my skills?

yess! Medify is really good and you can get a lot done in two weeks.
In the real exam, is it possible to get partial (1/2) marks for SJ? So if the correct answer was C, and you clicked D, would you get 1/2 marks?
Thanks
Original post by Zarabegum12
In the real exam, is it possible to get partial (1/2) marks for SJ? So if the correct answer was C, and you clicked D, would you get 1/2 marks?
Thanks

Yes. If you got the correct answer you would get 4 marks but if you were one place away, you would get 3 marks. If you were two places away, you would get 2 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MCMXCVIII
Yes. If you got the correct answer you would get 4 marks but if you were one place away, you would get 3 marks. If you were two places away, you would get 2 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if the marking scheme is more lenient in the actual exam compared to medify? I read earlier in the thread that people who were getting band 2 on average usually got band 1?
Do you know how you figure out what your UKCAT score is from percentages? For example for Abstract reasoning i am on 66% on Medify and was wondering how I change this to a UKCAT score (as in 600/700) ??
Original post by kerrym11
Do you know how you figure out what your UKCAT score is from percentages? For example for Abstract reasoning i am on 66% on Medify and was wondering how I change this to a UKCAT score (as in 600/700) ??

(Percentage correct x 600) + 300.
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know which AR mock or website is closest to the actual exam? Did the Kaplan mock and got 630 :frown:
Original post by michaela__
(Percentage correct x 600) + 300.
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank Youu!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending