The Student Room Group

My bank balance is more than my parents! Need help!

I applied for Tuition Fee loans only at first because I have not lived here for 3 years and then SF sent me a letter saying that I can apply for maintenance loan a child of an EU Migrant Worker.

They asked for various kinds of documents to show how dependent I am to them and everything is fine except for the bank statements. My parents work full time and I work part time but I saved up my money from work to help with with university accommodations and travel. I am sitting with around £6000 in my account right now while my parents have around £1000 in theirs. Our household income is around 21000-22000.

I am even leaving work after this month to focus on studies so I have no form of income. SF will probably think I am independent because of the money I have. How do I go about this with the SF?

Any kind of advice would be helpful. Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Faizul08
I applied for Tuition Fee loans only at first because I have not lived here for 3 years and then SF sent me a letter saying that I can apply for maintenance loan a child of an EU Migrant Worker.

They asked for various kinds of documents to show how dependent I am to them and everything is fine except for the bank statements. My parents work full time and I work part time but I saved up my money from work to help with with university accommodations and travel. I am sitting with around £6000 in my account right now while my parents have around £1000 in theirs. Our household income is around 21000-22000.

I am even leaving work after this month to focus on studies so I have no form of income. SF will probably think I am independent because of the money I have. How do I go about this with the SF?

Any kind of advice would be helpful. Thank you.

There won't be a problem. If you are under 25, then you are automatically assessed based on your parents' income. It doesn't matter how much you earn or how much money you have in your bank account.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
There won't be a problem. If you are under 25, then you are automatically assessed based on your parents' income. It doesn't matter how much you earn or how much money you have in your bank account.

I called them up and they said they want my bank statement and my parents, among other stuffs, and said it's because I am over 21 and so they have to see whether or not I am dependant.
Reply 3
Original post by Faizul08
I called them up and they said they want my bank statement and my parents, among other stuffs, and said it's because I am over 21 and so they have to see whether or not I am dependant.

That doesn't tie in with what I know of the rules, but maybe migrant worker child rules are different. I'll step back and see if anyone else can advise.

Quick Reply