The Student Room Group

Which is harder to get in: Cambridge or Imperial? ChemEng

I want to take a risk and maybe apply for only ONE of these two universities, since I'm unlikely to get an offer with all the competition and don't want to waste my UCAS application.

I guess that Imperial is slightly easier to get an offer from?

Any other opinions please? Anyone got an offer from one and not the other?
Reply 1
Original post by maria86
I want to take a risk and maybe apply for only ONE of these two universities, since I'm unlikely to get an offer with all the competition and don't want to waste my UCAS application.

What are your expected grades? And subjects? If you are on target to meet their entry requirements you should apply to both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
What are your expected grades? And subjects? If you are on target to meet their entry requirements you should apply to both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks jneill, you've replied in several of the threads I've created recently :smile:

my AS and predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirement, but I don't see why I can't work harder and achieve the grades in A2.

I have the right subjects, Maths, Chem, Biology (dropping physics)

I think I will apply to Imperial and leave Cambridge
Reply 3
Original post by maria86
thanks jneill, you've replied in several of the threads I've created recently :smile:

my AS and predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirement, but I don't see why I can't work harder and achieve the grades in A2.

I have the right subjects, Maths, Chem, Biology (dropping physics)

I think I will apply to Imperial and leave Cambridge

Well Cambridge requires physics for ChemEng. So would definitely be ruled out.

Imperial has a 32% offer rate: http://university.which.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/chemical-engineering-4-years-9000-h801
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Well Cambridge requires physics for ChemEng. So would definitely be ruled out.

Imperial has a 32% offer rate: http://university.which.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/chemical-engineering-4-years-9000-h801

I could be wrong but I thought through Natsci route the AS physics was enough.

yes I saw that 32% stat for imperial as well!

thanks v much
Reply 5
Original post by maria86
I could be wrong but I thought through Natsci route the AS physics was enough.

yes I saw that 32% stat for imperial as well!

thanks v much

Ah yes, correct. And I think I've made that error previously. Doh!

That said, almost everyone WILL have physics.
Original post by maria86

Why not apply to Cambridge and Imperial, then apply to 2 unis that are slightly lower ranked like Southampton or Manchester and then a uni that's even more lower ranked. That way you have uni's from each tier and are likely to be accepted to one of these unis.
Make sure you check the requirements though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I just saw a stats page showing only 36 applications got offers at cambridge for ChemEng.. out of 250 applications.

definitely not Cambridge then!
Reply 8
Original post by maria86
I just saw a stats page showing only 36 applications got offers at cambridge for ChemEng.. out of 250 applications.

definitely not Cambridge then!

Sounds about right.

Quick Reply

Latest