The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on same-sex parenting?

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing about same-sex parenting for you to disagree with and question.

As of 2016, there are more then 140 million orphaned children around the world, most of whom will never be adopted or have any parent to speak of at all. The fact that you - probably someone with at least one parent - doesn't "agree" with something shouldn't prevent millions of children from potentially getting a parent or parents who will love, cherish and raise them.

There's nothing unique about a strictly male/female parent paradigm that makes it an ideal structure. All that matters is understanding, affection, care and fairness. Gender is completely irrelevant here. Humans, especially young children, are wired to look up to traits, entirely above and beyond someone's gender. This means that a child who is loved will more likely be more loving, a child who is more appreciated will learn how to better appreciate and so on. So, as long as a child is raised in an environment which nurtures and supports them - parents, no matter their gender, are doing their duty. I was raised by a single mom with the help of my grandmother, so two women, and I couldn't be better off.

Even if you're the kind of hypocrite who thinks they can "disagree" with same-sex parenting, think of the over 140 million orphans around the world, dreaming of a parent who will love them, and tell me it should be prohibited. If you have any human decency, you can't. And you shouldn't.
I think it's wonderful. Growing up with a single parent I envy any child that had two - be it same gender or not. :smile:
As it turns out, kids do just as well in homosexual households as they do in heterosexual households (there's actual research on this, people don't have to make stuff up). So... yeah, I'm for it? (even if it's something new and some questions may remain)
Reply 43
Original post by Withengar
There's nothing about same-sex parenting for you to disagree with and question.

As of 2016, there are more then 140 million orphaned children around the world, most of whom will never be adopted or have any parent to speak of at all. The fact that you - probably someone with at least one parent - doesn't "agree" with something shouldn't prevent millions of children from potentially getting a parent or parents who will love, cherish and raise them.

There's nothing unique about a strictly male/female parent paradigm that makes it an ideal structure. All that matters is understanding, affection, care and fairness. Gender is completely irrelevant here. Humans, especially young children, are wired to look up to traits, entirely above and beyond someone's gender. This means that a child who is loved will more likely be more loving, a child who is more appreciated will learn how to better appreciate and so on. So, as long as a child is raised in an environment which nurtures and supports them - parents, no matter their gender, are doing their duty. I was raised by a single mom with the help of my grandmother, so two women, and I couldn't be better off.

Even if you're the kind of hypocrite who thinks they can "disagree" with same-sex parenting, think of the over 140 million orphans around the world, dreaming of a parent who will love them, and tell me it should be prohibited. If you have any human decency, you can't. And you shouldn't.

But where do most of those 140 million orphans live?
In areas where being gay is probably punishable, yes?
This conversation is about the west, where it is legal in many countries.

And tell me how much of a difference will there be to that figure if same-sex parenting is legalised in those regions?
:biggrin:

As far as I'm aware there's been no illustrated association between same sex parenting and adverse/ delayed outcomes on the children's educational, social and relationship adjustment.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2004.00823.x/full

It's the same with single parenting. The absence of a male family figure has not been shown to have any effect, but the effect of a dysfunctional present male figure can have a negative effect. Quality not quantity. The idea that children need a strong 'male figure' in their lives to develop to their fullest potential is a myth.
It's two parents looking after their child / children. Completely fine.
Reply 46
I think it's important for children to have role models of both sexes whilst growing up. Obviously it's easiest when this comes from parents, but if it's not going to we really need to be solving the giant disparity in the gender of primary school teachers (tbh something we should be doing anyway).
Same sex parenting is different from opposite sex parenting/traditional parenting.
I'm not saying gay couples can't raise children but it works differently and there is always someone who has the be the man and woman in the relationship.

Oh well. If you don't have parents at all at least gay ones are better than none.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Same sex parenting is different from opposite sex parenting/traditional parenting.
I'm not saying gay couples can't raise children but it works differently and there is always someone who has the be the man and woman in the relationship.

Oh well. If you don't have parents at all at least gay ones are better than none.

Why does someone "have" to fill in the role of the woman in the relationship?
Makes you sound as though you're saying single parents are inadequate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two people wanting to play house
My personal opinion is, as someone who has been brought up by parents who were neglectful in various ways, all I really cared about was their parenting skills - providing the basic necessities that they failed to do in order to bring up a confident, healthy, loving child into the world. So really, I couldn't have cared if they were both aliens, so as long as they were good people and loved me. No sob story or violins here though, as I've seen worse, and I haven't had the trauma of being passed around the foster care system. Basically, if you had good or amazing parents, it might be hard to see it from this perspective.
I am fairly certain there are studies showing an absentee father is much worse than same-sex parents.

Although I would think it would be better for society if same-sex couples adopt rather than sperm donors or surrogate mothers. Too many orphans.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
Although I would think it would be better for society if same-sex couples adopt rather than sperm donors or surrogate mothers. Too many orphans.

That's a good point, but at the same time where would one draw the line with simply saying all would-be parents should adopt instead?
Original post by Flame Alchemist
That's a good point, but at the same time where would one draw the line with simply saying all would-be parents should adopt instead?

Hence, would think and would be better.

Not I think it is better.

This is a slightly different argument though. One could even argue that if you want more than two kids, they have to adopted.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Why does someone "have" to fill in the role of the woman in the relationship?
Makes you sound as though you're saying single parents are inadequate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. That's not what I'm saying at all. Just saying there is a different dynamic with same sex couples.
If the kid is being raised by two people that love it, and they grow up to be well adjusted members of society.. Why should I care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'absurde
In my opinion, it is best for a child to have a mother and a father. And I find it especially important for boys to have a father. But seeing as though there are many children who need families, and there are same-sex couples (as well as straight couples) who are willing to adopt then this is fine since it is better (in my view) for a child to grow up with same-sex parents rather than have no family at all.

Spoiler

What are your views on the subject?

There are Too many children around - same sex, different sex, etc = *give them all the snip
Completely for it. As long as the parents are good people who can afford to raise a child then they should have the same opportunities as a straight couple.
i think its important to point out that for a homosexual couple to be able to have children they must resort to heterosexuality. This is a great example of the contradiction, hypocrisy and non viability of homosexuality.
Reply 59
Original post by Anonymous1502
A child does not need a mother and father or 2 parents a child needs someone who loves and wants them.

Sorry, but as a general rule kids with a Mum and Dad turn out more well-rounded than those without both. I had a single mother, and I totally understand that in some circumstances that won't be true and a single parent household is preferable. But overall, nothing else comes close to Mum and Dad households.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending