The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the South-East the most homophobic part of England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
Again, all you've done is label me as a homophobe, rather than approach and refute what I actually said. I'm not clueless - yet another ad hominem remark. All I've done is compared a mother and daughter of consenting age to a homosexual couple, to demonstrate your double standards. Instead of demonstrating why the comparison isn't valid, you say I'm not very bright. I can tell you don't often have discussions with people who disagree with you on this issue. Maybe you should.

Hey I never labelled you as one. I said your come across as one.

My double standards? I never argued that incest was wrong.
Reply 61
Guys this has gone off topic!!!

The discussion is supposed to be about whether people believe the South-East is more homophobic than other parts of the UK, and to debate on that!
Reply 62
Original post by Cumshot Caliph
Obviously not. Blue collar Whites and Muslims are going to be far more homophobic as a general rule than well educated affluent professionals.

I think you will find a lot of these 'affluent' men and women (the men mainly) are actually very judgemental and look down upon homosexuals and lesbians. I used to think they would be the most accepting but I actually realised it was not quite the case when I mixed within that circle.
Reply 63
Original post by lostintrnslation
'my hypocrisy' ah yes because calling someone a homophobe is exactly the same as denying someone their fundamental human rights lol.

That statement highlights your misunderstanding of my point! I demonstrated your hypocrisy very clearly, but you didn't see it. Perhaps read it again, or ask someone else to read it for you and have them explain it to you.

about preserving the family unit you were on about - do you think divorce should be banned then? or remarrying? because they both go beyond the 'traditional' family image.

no I don't think divorce should be banned. My point was that we have extrapolated marriage and family beyond what they were designed for, so that the system acts as though women can be fathers, and men can be mothers. The slippery slope leads inevitably to incestuous relationships, animals, and other things, because at the end of the day, marriage means whatever we want it to mean, and "family" means whatever we want it to mean.

of course there are many more problems with incest than the power imbalance, think about how long a parent could have been attracted to their child for - possibly putting said child in danger at a young age when they cannot consent. people with a 40 year old age gap can get married - because they can be equals in a relationship. they cannot be equal if one person in the relationship has authority over another - like parent-child and student-teacher relationships.

I've already demonstrated how these ideas are irrelevant to what I was talking about.

marrying an inanimate object would be pointless as some main reasons for getting married include being able to inherit what they have when they die, and always being able to be their next of kin. you can't do that with an inanimate object. the situation would be similar for four-way marriages, but there are plenty of polyamorous people out there...

But you are simply asserting your subjective opinion that those are why people should marry. What if someone just wants to demonstrate their love by committing in "holy matrimony"? Why would you get in the way of someone's love for their house? Why are you so intolerant? Why can't you let house lovers marry what they love? You want to exclude them from your precious institution - that's discrimination.

:facepalm2:
I don't think life in the UK is right for you.
Original post by Pride
That statement highlights your misunderstanding of my point! I demonstrated your hypocrisy very clearly, but you didn't see it. Perhaps read it again, or ask someone else to read it for you and have them explain it to you.

no I don't think divorce should be banned. My point was that we have extrapolated marriage and family beyond what they were designed for, so that the system acts as though women can be fathers, and men can be mothers. The slippery slope leads inevitably to incestuous relationships, animals, and other things, because at the end of the day, marriage means whatever we want it to mean, and "family" means whatever we want it to mean.

I've already demonstrated how these ideas are irrelevant to what I was talking about.

But you are simply asserting your subjective opinion that those are why people should marry. What if someone just wants to demonstrate their love by committing in "holy matrimony"? Why would you get in the way of someone's love for their house? Why are you so intolerant? Why can't you let house lovers marry what they love? You want to exclude them from your precious institution - that's discrimination.

:facepalm2:

seems to me that you're the one who needs things explained to them. calling someone a homophobe might result in one hurt feeling. denying gay people the right to get married contributes to the systematic oppression that costs lgbt+ people their lives and their rights. during the hiv/aids crisis, if one member of a same-sex relationship died, their partner wouldn't have access to their money amongst other things, perhaps leading to bankruptcy and homelessness. lgbt+ suicide rates are above those of cis straight people. so, in simpler terms, calling someone a homophobe isn't killing people or contributing to their oppression. homophobes are not discriminated against as they are not murdered for their beliefs or denied human rights.

i really don't see how same-sex parenting would lead to incest. i think a happy family unit is way more important than one that is 'traditional'. being a parent is the same role whether you're a mother or a father. there are some biological restrictions, such as a cis male father not being able to breastfeed, but not all babies are breastfed anyway. the main priority is simply raising the child in the best way possible. a child having two fathers or two mothers doesn't impact that at all.

some people have married inanimate objects (see the woman who married the berlin wall). it's kind of hard to demonstrate love to something that cannot reciprocate it - like an inanimate object but i'm not going to stop them.

so what is your problem with gay marriage exactly? why should straight people in non-incestuous relationships be allowed to get married above everyone else?
seems to me that you're the one who needs things explained to them. calling someone a homophobe might result in one hurt feeling. denying gay people the right to get married contributes to the systematic oppression that costs lgbt+ people their lives and their rights. during the hiv/aids crisis, if one member of a same-sex relationship died, their partner wouldn't have access to their money amongst other things, perhaps leading to bankruptcy and homelessness. lgbt+ suicide rates are above those of cis straight people. so, in simpler terms, calling someone a homophobe isn't killing people or contributing to their oppression. homophobes are not discriminated against as they are not murdered for their beliefs or denied human rights.

i really don't see how same-sex parenting would lead to incest. i think a happy family unit is way more important than one that is 'traditional'. being a parent is the same role whether you're a mother or a father. there are some biological restrictions, such as a cis male father not being able to breastfeed, but not all babies are breastfed anyway. the main priority is simply raising the child in the best way possible. a child having two fathers or two mothers doesn't impact that at all.

some people have married inanimate objects (see the woman who married the berlin wall). it's kind of hard to demonstrate love to something that cannot reciprocate it - like an inanimate object but i'm not going to stop them.

so what is your problem with gay marriage exactly? why should straight people in non-incestuous relationships be allowed to get married above everyone else?

If you get an answer that isn't filled with a load of waffle, I'll be very impressed.
Reply 67

I'm not going to reply to the point about homophobia any more. I showed you how you were being a hypocrite. It's up to you to go back and re-read it, so that you can understand my point. You talk about a number of things LGBT persons have suffered through over the years, but that's irrelevant to the topic (a red-herring). So I won't respond to that anymore. Go and re-read.

I don't see the value of posting a list of arguments against gay marriage and parenting. You could google them. A quick google search came up with lists of arguments:

Gay marriage - http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=if04g01
Gay adoption - http://www.dijg.de/english/ten-reasons-against-adoption-rights-for-homosexual-couples/

The reason why I posted to begin with was to question whether disagreeing with the things in the OP meant homophobia. I deeply care about LGBT people. But I don't agree with what LGBT activists tend to campaign for.

You cite a Conservative Christian group from America, which has been designated as an "anti-gay hate group".

Strong.

I deeply care about LGBT people. But I don't agree with what LGBT activists tend to campaign for.

This is no different to a KKK member saying "I deeply care about Black people. But I don't agree with what Black activists tend to campaign for".

I've always found it strange how pious/bigoted African Christians tend to be (in comparison to Western Christians); the ones that suffer the most from discrimination have the most discriminatory views - a strange phenomenon I have to say.
Original post by Coke1
Hi everyone,

Where do people think the most homophobic/traditional part of England is? If I had to guess, with the exception of London, I would say the South-East. I would argue Kent, Essex, Surrey and Buckinghamshire since they have the highest proportion of Tory voters (who are statistically much more likely to be against gay marriage, adoption and gay rights in general).

Although I completely accept that England is generally a gay friendly country, and even the most homophobic parts would still be like a gay haven in comparison to other parts of the world, I just feel that the South-East (once again with the exception of London) there is still this strong element of traditionalism which is much more prevalent than in other parts of England. I feel that the people up North and in the South-West are generally much less judgemental in comparison.

I could be wrong as I do not have proper evidence to back this up, but this is my opinion. I would argue that Essex in particular (where I live) is definitely more homophobic than other parts of England. There is still a very strong 'lad culture' amongst Essex boys, and from what I have noticed Essex boys are definitely not as accepting as other places.

What are your opinions?
Feel free to disagree and say I am wrong!

Seeing as you don't come from SE London, how can you possibly assume its homophobic? Born and raised in SE London and I see plenty of openly homosexual couples a day. Knowing theyre comfy going out there and holding hands or kissing or PDA-ing, is absolutely amazing.

Everywhere you go around the UK you'll come across some idiot with a pea brain who thinks homosexuality is wrong. Just because people from my ends believe knives and drugs answer fights, doesn't mean they'll start cussing gay people. There's a guy in my school who was expelled from his last for carrying a knife into school with him and recently he stabbed a homophobe with a pair of scissors. I absolutely love that guy wherever he is now

SE London is fantastic and diverse- homophobia is a synonym for stupidity/traditional values, so try n. Wales??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by ImagineCats
Seeing as you don't come from SE London, how can you possibly assume its homophobic? Born and raised in SE London and I see plenty of openly homosexual couples a day. Knowing theyre comfy going out there and holding hands or kissing or PDA-ing, is absolutely amazing.

Everywhere you go around the UK you'll come across some idiot with a pea brain who thinks homosexuality is wrong. Just because people from my ends believe knives and drugs answer fights, doesn't mean they'll start cussing gay people. There's a guy in my school who was expelled from his last for carrying a knife into school with him and recently he stabbed a homophobe with a pair of scissors. I absolutely love that guy wherever he is now

SE London is fantastic and diverse- homophobia is a synonym for stupidity/traditional values, so try n. Wales??

I never said I come from South East London? I was born in London and spent the majority of my life in the South East that is for sure.

Like I have said before, my main experience is with Essex. The part of Essex I come from appears to be more homophobic than other places. Maybe it is just Essex but it is my observation and experience.
Original post by Coke1
I never said I come from South East London? I was born in London and spent the majority of my life in the South East that is for sure.

Like I have said before, my main experience is with Essex. The part of Essex I come from appears to be more homophobic than other places. Maybe it is just Essex but it is my observation and experience.

Lol that question came across way too passive than it was meant to be I was just curious. If you spent majority of you life in SE then hows your main experience with Essex?
Reply 72
Original post by malebo55
You cite a Conservative Christian group from America, which has been designated as an "anti-gay hate group".

Strong.

This is no different to a KKK member saying "I deeply care about Black people. But I don't agree with what Black activists tend to campaign for".

I've always found it strange how pious/bigoted African Christians tend to be (in comparison to Western Christians); the ones that suffer the most from discrimination have the most discriminatory views - a strange phenomenon I have to say.

They are anti-gay? I just googled "arguments against gay marriage" and copied a link. Notice though - you and others on this thread have called me homophobic too. That doesn't really mean anything. It's ad-hominem. I have a brain. I can think and come to reasonable conclusions.

I've talked about how the issue is the redefinition of marriage, not the rights of LGBT people. I care about LGBT people. An LGBT activist doesn't just promote equal opportunities at work for LGBT people, which I wholeheartedly support. They tend to focus much more of their attention on normalising LGBT, calling for their over-representation in the media. They promote the exacerbation of the oversexualisation of the media. They seek to change people's view of sexuality so that they see it as an identity, and promote "pride" in it (see my username and signature - I think about the word pride a lot). They seek to promote gay parenting and marriage. These are the sorts of aims that I don't agree with and think are dangerous.

And finally, I'm curious as to how much you know about me personally... Do you stalk my posts? Do you know my nationality and religious views?
(edited 7 years ago)
ITT: @Pride talking sense and everyone getting butt-hurt about it
no, the south-east is the most liberal part of the country. Like most rural England is racist/homophobic, and the big northern English cities are too.
I haven't come across much although that's within the younger generation maybe amongst the older and religious people here

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha...OP doesn't make sense. Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle, Leeds, Bradford are all Tory areas? loolol. many of the most racist incidents take place here.
Original post by JTFrith
Most definitely does. If you have views that discriminate against a certain group of people then you are against equality, and most definitely homophobic in this case. Love is Love... No gender, No age, No disability, No race, No religion. No Labels - just love

Wrong. If you're against Civil partnerships then you're a homophobe. Marriage is a religious ceremony and has nothing to do with 'rights'.
Reply 78
Original post by usainlightning
Wrong. If you're against Civil partnerships then you're a homophobe. Marriage is a religious ceremony and has nothing to do with 'rights'.

I'm not going to debate this topic further. But from where i'm from at least, under UK jurisdiction Gay 'Marriage' is legal. So your classification is wrong... Suck out.
Reply 79
Original post by kimkarsd
no, the south-east is the most liberal part of the country. Like most rural England is racist/homophobic, and the big northern English cities are too.

Really dumb response.

Big northern cities are? I don't think so.

Why are people getting this misconception that the North is homophobic?

Latest