The Student Room Group

Pitiful A-level grades is there still hope for me?

I just received my A-levels and the E was in maths, I want to study chem engineering and am afraid when it comes to graduate prospects, i wont be chosen due to the low UCAS points and low ranking university I am to attend.

I really need help in terms of what i could do to boost my chances of good employment upon graduation and whether at all i should retake that exam whilst in university for the benefit of my CV? Also, if i wanted work experience whilst in uni would any employer take me seriously?

I'm honestly so upset and need help, i don't want to live a **** life and don't know what to do?
(edited 5 years ago)
I used to be a prospective Chemical Engineering student like you, but then I messed up my Chemistry A-level and chose software engineering instead
Reply 2
Original post by Itsallaconundrum
I just got BCE in my A-levels and the E was in maths, I want to study chem engineering and am afraid when it comes to graduate prospects, i wont be chosen due to the low UCAS points and low ranking university (68th in the UK) I am to attend.

I really need help in terms of what i could do to boost my chances of good employment upon graduation and whether at all i should retake that exam whilst in university for the benefit of my CV? Also, if i wanted work experience whilst in uni would any employer take me seriously?

I'm honestly so upset and need help, i don't want to live a **** life and don't know what to do?

Do you have a uni place? Is it a foundation year?
Reply 3
I just got BCE in my A-levels and the E was in maths, I want to study chem engineering and am afraid when it comes to graduate prospects, i wont be chosen due to the low UCAS points and low ranking university (68th in the UK) I am to attend.

If you think you can do better if you resit and aren't happy with the university you are going to then don't go to that uni and resit your exams.
Original post by jneill
Do you have a uni place? Is it a foundation year?

I have a uni place but its a low ranking one

And yes im doing a foundation year due to the low grade in maths
Reply 5

Well that's fine, and will help you get your maths up to scratch. Probably not worth resiting it.

BTW 60ish is mid-table. Work hard, get a good 2:1+ and you'll be fine :smile:

Engineering employers do not care which uni you went to. Just get some relevant ECs behind you (do they have an engineering society, or formula student or similar?).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Well that's fine, and will help you get your maths up to scratch. Probably not worth resiting it.

BTW 60ish is mid-table. Work hard, get a good 2:1+ and you'll be fine :smile:

Engineering employers do not care which uni you went to. Just get some relevant ECs behind you (do they have an engineering society, or formula student or similar?).

Yeah they have engineering societies ect. But honestly, employers wonts frown upon me? Id like to have a great career with good employers ect

I could be wrong as far as I understand it the only employers who really care about where you went to university are if you want to get into investment banking, magic circle law firm etc
Reply 8
Yeah they have engineering societies ect. But honestly, employers wonts frown upon me? Id like to have a great career with good employers ect

No

Employers want to employ good employees. Not "good" universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Which uni is this? Looking at CUG, there are only really two unis on the ChemEng table that i think are kinda ****, and thats South Bank and West of Scotland. The rest aren't worth taking a resit over.

From your information im inferring it is University of Hull? Rejoyce! There are dozens of universities that are worse. Hull is still a relatively good one. Student satisfaction and job prospect stats are pretty decent. Hull itself is quite underrated as a city imho.

Just make sure you get a 2.1 or a first and you're good. You happen to be in a field where jobs aren't too difficult to find provided you know where to look. You'll for certain be able to find an internship somewhere.
Reply 10
Have you considered resitting the year? Student Finance is something you'll only ever receive once, and that's a chance that must be valued highly.

Resitting could give you the opportunity to attend the high universities that you were aiming for all year. A year longer in education could mean a world of difference to your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
You could also go through UCAS during your foundation year, which is what I did. With good grades you could possibly get into a better uni.

Quick Reply

Latest