The Student Room Group

How does this "more flexible" Scottish Degree system work?

Google is making it really difficult to grasp what the Scottish system actually is. I get that I can take modules from a bunch of things but that's about all I've been able to ascertain at all. (and I don't even know if that bit of knowledge is technically correct)

pls send help
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Google is making it really difficult to grasp what the Scottish system actually is. I get that I can take modules from a bunch of things but that's about all I've been able to ascertain at all. (and I don't even know if that bit of knowledge is technically correct)

pls send help

Most common setup is you get to take 2-3 outside subjects in your first and second years, then dwindle it down to just 1 or 2 from after that point when you go into the 'honours' years of 3rd and 4th year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Most common setup is you get to take 2-3 outside subjects in your first and second years, then dwindle it down to just 1 or 2 from after that point when you go into the 'honours' years of 3rd and 4th year.

Cool cool, could I theoretically apply for just philosophy and then pick up something that isn't even an arts subject while I'm there or is that generally too wild?
Reply 3
Original post by Retired_Messiah

pls send help

There are modular degrees available at a range of UK unis, not all of them Scottish e.g. Durham and Reading.

If you have found a modular degree such as the one offered by St Andrews, then you need to look at the information provided by them. Each uni can run their modular degrees as they want to. This is how St Andrews explains theirs:
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/options/flexible/

Scottish*unis also offer standard 3 or 4 year degrees based on one or two subjects, so you aren't limited to that type of degree if you're going to study in Scotland.

Quick Reply