The Student Room Group

Corbyn insults 9/11 victims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Not the worst thing he's ever said, but there is an element of naivety about this tweet.

This. It's the element that he knew his words would get closely scrutinised yet still decided to go with something that would get certain factions foaming at the mouth.

It's not vicious, just thick.

And, btw, you could easily decide to interpret the words as being directed at the victims of, amongst other incidents, the 7/7 bombings. Or the lives of the servicemen and women lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. Odd how you all don't instantly jump to that thought, isn't it...?

PSR is a far-left pacifist organisation. I'd prefer to get my numbers from the Iraq Family Health Survey and the World Health Organisation.
Original post by Snufkin
The campaign against him is no more ridiculous (and far less vitriolic) than Momentum's campaign against so-called 'Blairite' (read: centre-left) Labour supporters.

Yeah there's no reports of vandalism and death threats coming any "Blairite" supporters as far as I'm aware.
Original post by Snufkin
Not the worst thing he's ever said

You're right. The worst thing he ever said was when he praised Hamas as being "dedicated to peace and social justice". Given their call for all Jews worldwide to be killed, that's easily the most obnoxious.

But I don't think it's just naivety. He has a media team now. It cannot but have been a deliberate decision, even knowing it would piss people off. In that way they make clear that they have no intention of attempting to appeal to the centre-ground (and thus attempt to win an actual election)
Reply 44
Original post by AlexanderHam
We are attacking him because he is disgustingly shoehorning his far left politics on a day that is supposed to be about the victims, not about him and his extremism.

Since when is being sorry a lot of people died in a war "far left" or "extremism"?

And Corbyn has form for this, he always obnoxiously shoehorns his politics into these things with a churlish little bit of whataboutery.

So when he was asked (reasonably, given his history supporting them) to condemn the IRA, he merely said "I condemn all forms of violence, including violence by the British military". When asked to condemn anti-semitism, he says "I condemn all forms of racism". It's a pathetic, immature little move that's like "I'm not going to be told what to say by anyone". It also shows how completely inflexible and dogmatic he is, and ultimately how little he cares about things like anti-semitism and people whose family members have been killed by terrorists.

This is rich. You're complaining about Corbyn bringing up unrelated issues to strengthen his position, while doing exactly the same thing to discredit him?

It's also very revealing how dismissive you are of their deaths. By the way, it was close to 3,000 not 2,000. But let's not allow your aching ignorance of the history of the last 15 years to get in the way, shall we? By the way, there's absolutely nohting wrong with caring more about people who are closer to you, whether family, friends or countrymen. British Muslims do that all the time; they care more about what happens in Palestine than in Peterborough. And unless you cry just as much about a random dead person as you would for your own parents, then you're hypocrite for asserting that somehow those 2,997 killed and 6,000 seriously injured should mean no more to us than anyone else in the world.

My apologies for getting the number slightly wrong.

Now I don't deny that the deaths were tragic, but try and get some perspective here. 3,000 deaths is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Of course it's going to stick in peoples' minds and rightly so, it was a historic and terrible thing to happen, but that doesn't mean that other tragic events haven't happened (or continue to do so), many as a result of 9/11 itself. Why should we drop everything else that's going on in the world to focus solely on one event? How is it that mentioning, even just in passing that other people have died "insulting" the victims of 9/11?
He just couldn't bring himself to memorialise their death without shoehorning in some anti-Western crap.

:yawn: Tedious as ever MostUncivilised.
He just couldn't bring himself to memorialise their death without shoehorning in some anti-Western crap

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn_uk_57d5b55ae4b0d45ff8722418

It's because of nonsense like this that he'll never be Prime Minister. He's simply incapable of behaving like a normal person.

I knew it was you who made this thread when i saw the title, are you still in denial? Why dont you just accept defeat already?! It is almost certain that corbyn is going to win. Get over it!
Original post by dingleberry jam
:yawn: Tedious as ever MostUncivilised.

Did I upset you?
Original post by BasharAssad
It is almost certain that corbyn is going to win.

:lol: Corbyn is never going to win a general election. Even he knows he could never win one

By the way, you realise the murderer in your profile pic is Gaddafi, not Assad? If you get these two world leaders mixed up, how can we take anything you say seriously?
It's probably much closer to about 250,000 but even if we're go to with your number... can you even count? 500K < 2 million

He said millions, I said it's nowhere near "millions". You say it's 500k in Iraq. So nowhere close to even a million, let alone two. Iraq was by far the biggest theatre for casualties during the War on Terror, so the idea that in the rest of the world you will get anywhere close to more than 2 million is bizarre.

To be frank, I'd be amazed if you even got through high school.

If you were to count the rest of the victims of subsequent conflicts that Iraq went onto cause such as Afghanistan, Syria etc it would be pushing a million - and even more if you were to count the number of people it has uplaced and effected.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
If you were to count the rest of the victims of subsequent conflicts that Iraq went onto cause such as Afghanistan, Syria etc it would be pushing a million - and even more if you were to count the number of people it has uplaced and effected.

Nice backsliding. You criticised me for ridiculing the idea there had been "millions" of deaths. You said 500k died in Iraq. Okay, that's a huge overestimate but let's go with that. Only around 25,000 civilians died in Afghanistan from 2001 to 2014 when the US pulled out, the vast majority of fatalities were combat deaths. So we're up to 525. Around 5,000 have been killed in the drone programme, in Pakistan and Yemen, that's 530. As for the anti-ISIS campaign, only around 1,500 civilians have been killed. 531,500 < 2 million. Even you are saying "a million" is still a million less than two million, which is the minimum number there must have been for that guy to have been correct.

As for Syria in general, if you think the Syrian Civil War was caused by America you are a ****ing moron. I mean, you are literally clueless if you believe that, and so gullible and taken by conspiracy crap that there is no point in speaking to you. But even on your own numbers, it doesn't come anywhere near 2 million... moron.

Oh and the vast majority of people who were killed in Iraq have been killed by their fellow Muslims, due to Islam's inherently violent and aggressive tendencies. America can't be blamed for backward, sectarian tendencies that led to the civil war
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Nobody is stopping you from remembering or holding a memorial for others, in this case the ensuing conflict. The problem is Hijacking the 9/11 memorial to advance your political views. The memorial should be solely about remembering the 3000 who brutally perished and the thousands of selfless firefighters, police, volunteers who suffered later due to health effects caused by the toxic air

I'm sorry but that became impossible the day that George Bush decided to name his oil-grabbing illegal war, 'the War on Terror', as if it had anything to do with 9/11. Every time the War on Terror is mentioned, and every time someone in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan dies as a result of it, it insults the memory of the victims of 9/11 in whose name so many innocent women and children have been slaughtered. The 9/11 victims were a very diverse range of people and we don't know whether or not they would have agreed with the War on Terror, but let's afford them the dignity and respect of assuming that they would be sympathetic to the victims of the illegal war which their deaths have scandalously been used to justify, and they would be delighted to see people being reminded at every opportunity that the savagery of Iraq was nothing whatosever to do with them. I know I would be.

Original post by green.tea
Whilst inviting the angry brother of the owner of the jewelry, credit card and gas pipe round your house on account of them looking sad.

If you shoot someone in the head and steal their jewelry and credit card and blow up their house, the least you can do is take care of their children. Being orphaned and watching your parents being blown apart tends to make a person 'sad'.
I see nothing wrong with what he said. I've seen the same message all over social media, like in this tumblr post:
BxP-EdbIAAADBgH.png
I completely agree with him. In no way did he put down the victims of 9/11, he just paid his respects to the other victims of the tragedy as well. No human life is worth more than another
Original post by Foo.mp3
How anyone can take this confused pacifist-Islamist-Eurosceptic-Europhile seriously is beyond me :dontknow:

i suppose it is likely to be beyond you if you're unconditionally negative towards the 'liberal left'
Original post by alevelstresss
i suppose it is likely to be beyond you if you're unconditionally negative towards the 'liberal left'

He claims to be a pacifist while spending his career openly courting violent terrorists. He also spent 30 years as a Eurosceptic and then changed tack overnight.

It's pretty easy to regard him as being disingenuous.
There never was a "war on terror" - it was a concept fabricated by Bush and his pals to justify their campaign in Iraq and to hide their true motives.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Your suppositions flatter you not, amigo. Not withstanding the fact that I broadly support most progressive trends, and that my politics has been characterised as being left-leaning, one does not follow, logically, from the other. Guess again :h:

I know your posts, you're definitely not progressive. So the comment about flattery can be redirected straight back to you.
Nice backsliding. You criticised me for ridiculing the idea there had been "millions" of deaths. You said 500k died in Iraq. Okay, that's a huge overestimate but let's go with that. Only around 25,000 civilians died in Afghanistan from 2001 to 2014 when the US pulled out, the vast majority of fatalities were combat deaths. So we're up to 525. Around 5,000 have been killed in the drone programme, in Pakistan and Yemen, that's 530. As for the anti-ISIS campaign, only around 1,500 civilians have been killed. 531,500 < 2 million. Even you are saying "a million" is still a million less than two million, which is the minimum number there must have been for that guy to have been correct.

As for Syria in general, if you think the Syrian Civil War was caused by America you are a ****ing moron. I mean, you are literally clueless if you believe that, and so gullible and taken by conspiracy crap that there is no point in speaking to you. But even on your own numbers, it doesn't come anywhere near 2 million... moron.

Oh and the vast majority of people who were killed in Iraq have been killed by their fellow Muslims, due to Islam's inherently violent and aggressive tendencies. America can't be blamed for backward, sectarian tendencies that led to the civil war

I never said that the US caused Syria or the Arab spring, but you are LITerally a complete retard if you don't think their influence and actions in the region had an impact or acted as a catalyst.

Again, I never claimed that 2 million people died. Moron.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
I never said that the US caused Syria or the Arab spring

Thank you for confirming you were completely wrong to blame America for a civil war that was provoked by protests by the Syrian people against a dictator being brutally put down by extreme violence.

Again, I never claimed that 2 million people died. Moron.

You're obviously confused about what you yourself said. Some moron said "millions" died. Millions is plural, in other words more than one. So that means at least two. Therefore he is saying at least two million people died.

I pointed out how ludicrous that was. You then started babbling and crying. I was right, you were wrong.

Anyway, I really don't have the energy to debate with anti-semitic, fascist-sympathising conspiracy ****-wits anymore. It's just too much trying to force logic through the haze of paranoia and hysteria. Time to add you to my ignore list. Byeee
Anyway, I really don't have the energy to debate with anti-semitic, fascist-sympathising conspiracy ****-wits anymore. It's just too much trying to force logic through the haze of paranoia and hysteria. Time to add you to my ignore list. Byeee

Look, if you're not going to respond with any substance, feel free not to respond at all. I'm interested in real discussion, not whiney victim crap from members of the cult.

:troll:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending