The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
One (not me) could argue that grants like these are a form of cultural imperialism, to encourage people to change their surnames to "white" names, erasing their own unique culture.

....??? seriously who cares
I share my surname with a Star Trek character do I get a grant for that?
This reminds me a lot of the Sherlock Holmes short story "The Red-Headed League" - I would not have doubted someone if they told me that was an actual real life organisation!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
:biggrin:

If that :biggrin: means yes, you should have Elizabeth Tayler's photo as your profile pic instead of Hepburn. :tongue:
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I share my surname with a Star Trek character do I get a grant for that?
This reminds me a lot of the Sherlock Holmes short story "The Red-Headed League" - I would not have doubted someone if they told me that was an actual real life organisation!

Data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
eh?

Is your surname Data?
Original post by vincrows
If that :biggrin: means yes, you should have Elizabeth Tayler's photo as your profile pic instead of Hepburn. :tongue:

She still didn't marry anyone with 'Graham' as a surname :sad:
Does anyone know how the 'Tripos' is graded? (I'm studying Land Economy personally)

I was told that the third year is the only part that counts toward the overall grade, and you just need to pass the first year to get onto the second year, and pass the second year to get onto the third year.
Original post by ccfctom
Does anyone know how the 'Tripos' is graded? (I'm studying Land Economy personally)

I was told that the third year is the only part that counts toward the overall grade, and you just need to pass the first year to get onto the second year, and pass the second year to get onto the third year.

Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=503945&p=67453604&page=306#post67453604
Original post by jneill
Is your surname Data?

Oh! No sorry, try again XD Clue to one of the letters is in my TSR name
Oh! No sorry, try again XD Clue to one of the letters is in my TSR name

Bonjour, M. Picard
Original post by jneill
Bonjour, M. Picard

Correct! :biggrin:
Correct! :biggrin:

PRSOM

Is anybody doing Computer Science? What GCSEs and A-levels did you get? What extra-curricular activities did you do to show your interest in the subject?I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge for Computer Science. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by mrman2000
Is anybody doing Computer Science? What GCSEs and A-levels did you get? What extra-curricular activities did you do to show your interest in the subject?I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge for Computer Science. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, I’ll be doing CompSci! I will also be away for the next few days but I’d be happy to talk to you about it after that. Someone else will, no doubt, fill you in on stuff well before then though.
Original post by ccfctom

Essentially, each year is graded separately, and it is common to use your Part II (third year) mark on CVs etc as your final classification. So theoretically you could scrape a pass in first and second year and then pull it together and do brilliantly in third year, but this isn't a great idea.

Firstly, colleges can and do kick people out if they significantly underperform - either failing Tripos or scraping through when there's evidence they haven't been working adequately. Secondly, if you've coasted for two years, you're not going to have the background knowledge or study skills to suddenly pull a first out of the bag in 3rd year. Finally, if you want any internships they'll want your 1st/2nd year grades, and likewise applying for many graduate jobs you need to be predicted at least a 2:1 which isn't going to happen if you've irritated your supervisors by pissing about for two years.
Original post by mrman2000

Yes. 9.5 A*'s, 1A at GCSE; 4 A's at AS, 3 A*'s at A2 in Maths, Further Maths, Physics (and Chemistry dropped). On my personal statement I wrote about a few programming projects, some freelance programming I'd done, my StackOverflow account, and some books I'd read. Some programming things I think are worth doing are Project Euler, the British Informatics Olympiad, and the National Cipher Challenge. If you have any questions feel free to p.m. me.
Original post by gasfxekl
....??? seriously who cares

I care alot about this kind of stuff.
Care bear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, I am NST physical fresher, I am worried about starting and wandered if anyone else was having the same doubts I was. I feel I won't cope with the workload and the difficulty of the work and feel I got in by some sought of fluke and don't really deserve a place. I don't want to let my friends and family down :frown:. Any current students who can comment on the workload would be much appreciated?? Thanks
Reply 1379
Original post by Nemo35
Hi there, I am NST physical fresher, I am worried about starting and wandered if anyone else was having the same doubts I was. I feel I won't cope with the workload and the difficulty of the work and feel I got in by some sought of fluke and don't really deserve a place. I don't want to let my friends and family down :frown:. Any current students who can comment on the workload would be much appreciated?? Thanks

Not gonna lie, the first term wasn't nice. But once you get used to the workload you'll be fine, just try to remind yourself every now and then why you're studying what you are. And have some fun too, working all the time isn't healthy.

IA is as bad as it gets, most people's workload decreases in the second and third years (and the work gets more interesting).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending