The Student Room Group

Surds rationalising/rearranging question

I'm stuck with the last step of these sorts of questions, where there is a surd divided by another surd. After rationalising and simplifying, I don't know how to get rid of the division line so that the answer is in the form a+b(root)5. Thanks for helping!
Reply 1
Original post by Sint
I'm stuck with the last step of these sorts of questions, where there is a surd divided by another surd. After rationalising and simplifying, I don't know how to get rid of the division line so that the answer is in the form a+b(root)5. Thanks for helping!

Your method is correct! Just look over your working and check the numerator. It seems you made a slight slip in expanding the brackets (the simplifying bit).

PS. It is already in the form a+b(root)5! Remember that 'a' and 'b' can be a fraction :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
why do you write your surds like that? Looks like you're trying to use things like the cubed root of 5 instead of 3 root 5.
Reply 3
Original post by Sint

As a side note, try to write the numbers in front of your square roots like this:

555\sqrt{5}

Instead of this

55\sqrt[5]{5}

The second one looks more like the 5th root of 5.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by surina16
why do you write your surds like that? Looks like you're trying to use things like the cubed root of 5 instead of 3 root 5.

Oh god...

I think I just had a heart attack.
also, -7 + 3 = -4
Original post by RDKGames
Oh god...

I think I just had a heart attack.

what... did I say something stupid? :colondollar: :biggrin:
Original post by surina16
what... did I say something stupid? :colondollar: :biggrin:

No, I'm agreeing with you.

At least the cat is nice.
Original post by RDKGames