The Student Room Group

Raf application question

In the middle of doing applcation for RAF, the easiest but yet trickiest question yet - what prompted your interest in joining the RAF? I am a very outgoing friendly bubbly person, i am looking to join the police department - but obviously in very early stages and I am totally stuck on how to put it into a sentence! someone please help meeee!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by RAF321
In the middle of doing applcation for RAF, the easiest but yet trickiest question yet - what prompted your interest in joining the RAF? I am a very outgoing friendly bubbly person, i am looking to join the police department - but obviously in very early stages and I am totally stuck on how to put it into a sentence! someone please help meeee!!!!

Can't answer this for you. The one saving grace is there's not really a wrong answer*. But you need to be honest and personal.

There's got to be a reason why you chose the RAF, so work out how to phrase it.

*Saying "because I want to kill people" probably isn't the best answer...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Like Drewski said, it is a personal answer so what has attracted you to the RAF? For me it's mainly the chance to have a proper career with opportunities to get additional qualifications. Is it because you want to be able to travel, or meet and work with loads of different people, help make a difference in the world etc? I also have a personal connection as my husband is in the army and I have spoken to lots of his friends which prompted my initial interest. Did you see a tv advert or is there anyone already in the forces that you know?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mac0303
For me it's mainly the chance to have a proper career with opportunities to get additional qualifications. Is it because you want to be able to travel, or meet and work with loads of different people, help make a difference in the world etc?

But then, why the RAF? The Army and RN both offer those...

That's what they're looking for. That you've thought it through and actually want to join the RAF.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
But then, why the RAF? The Army and RN both offer those...

That's what they're looking for. That you've thought it through and actually want to join the RAF.

I completely understand that they would ask why the RAF instead of Army/Navy. However, without actually being a part of the RAF/Army/Navy it really is difficult to pinpoint major differences between them!

You don't want to come across in an interview as being rude or disrespectful to the other forces. Could anyone give me actually differences between them?
Reply 5
Original post by MaisyRAF
I completely understand that they would ask why the RAF instead of Army/Navy. However, without actually being a part of the RAF/Army/Navy it really is difficult to pinpoint major differences between them!

You don't want to come across in an interview as being rude or disrespectful to the other forces. Could anyone give me actually differences between them?

You don't have to say what's bad about the other ones, you could talk about what's good in the one you've picked...

Because ultimately, something has already made you choose to apply to the RAF or you wouldn't be in this position. What was it?

You say you can't decide what the differences are between them... But yet you're not applying to the others, so there has to be a reason in there somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest