The Student Room Group

How important are uni rankings for a degree in international development?

I want to study international development with media or advertising but it's only offered at UEA and Northampton. UEA is 14th which is great but Northampton is 82nd. Would it impact me in the future in terms of finding employment? Would I be better off doing straight International development & then doing a media related masters?
Reply 1
I want to study international development with media or advertising but it's only offered at UEA and Northampton. UEA is 14th which is great but Northampton is 82nd. Would it impact me in the future in terms of finding employment? Would I be better off doing straight International development & then doing a media related masters?
Original post by rishie

I think it very unlikely that going to UEA rather than Northampton will impact your future career opportunities. But International Development with media is a strange combination, is there a particular reason you want to study media or advertising? You certainly don't need to study those subjects if you want to work in those industries.
Original post by rishie

League tables are a good indicator of how well a university or course performs, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Only you will know ultimately where you will be happiest.

In terms of employment, looking at a website like Unistats that uses the data of graduates from every university, we can see our students graduate with a slightly higher salary but that's not to say other factors aren't at play here. Employment isn't just the only factor to consider either.

For example I can advise is 100% of people who responded to the surveys Unistats use were happy with the quality of our International Development course, that accommodation can be cheaper here on campus and also in the private sector in Norwich, and that we've been ranked one of the best universities for student satisfaction (3rd out of all the UK mainstream universities).

You've ultimately got to go with where you think will make you will flourish the most, and where you're most confident a place will suit your needs :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending