The Student Room Group

Would a macbook pro be overkill for a maths degree

Looking to buy the new 2016 macbook pro when it comes out and want to know if this will be overkill. I am taking my desktop to uni with me but I want something that I can work off when outside of halls. I want this laptop to last me 4 years, give me good battery life and connect to my existing android phone.

I am worried that the switch from windows to mac os will lead to me having uni applications that don't run and that the os to be harder to get things done with. I own no other apple products so will I experience a lack of compatibility with other devices?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BinaryJava
Looking to buy the new 2016 macbook pro when it comes out and want to know if this will be overkill. I am taking my desktop to uni with me but I want something that I can work off when outside of halls. I want this laptop to last me 4 years, give me good battery life and connect to my existing android phone.

I am worried that the switch from windows to mac os will lead to me having uni applications that don't run and that the os to be harder to get things done with. I own no other apple products so will I experience a lack of compatibility with other devices?

It probably is overkill, in regard to the fact that all you'll ever need to use is Office and a web browser, which a cheap Windows laptop could handle. But as a personal computer, I think it's worth it - I've got the 2015 MacBook Pro and while it's expensive, it's worth it as a luxury, and I'm sure it'll last for many years. I recommend it, but it is definitely overkill in regard to what you'll actually need for lectures and uni work.

Regarding compatibility, don't worry about it. Windows applications don't work on the Mac (as in you can't grab a Windows installer file and just run it), but pretty much every application has an equivalent for Mac - Office, Chrome, Steam... I can't really think of anything that doesn't work, other than obviously-exclusive stuff like Internet Explorer. Your university probably provides free Office to its students so that shouldn't be a concern, but if it doesn't, you'll have to buy Office Mac, as the Windows version won't work. But file compatibility won't be an issue, neither will sharing printers or anything like that - generally, Macs are very compatible with other devices.

It's not overkill, I would highly recommend it. The MBP I just bought for uni is amazing

There aren't many hiccups/compatibility issues between mac and windows, and in doubt you can always run a bootcamp version of windows.

My setup now is an iPad, retina Macbook Pro and android phone - plan to use the most likely windows or Linux run machines at uni for any heavy lifting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
It's not overkill, I would highly recommend it. The MBP I just bought for uni is amazing

There aren't many hiccups/compatibility issues between mac and windows, and in doubt you can always run a bootcamp version of windows.

My setup now is an iPad, retina Macbook Pro and android phone - plan to use the most likely windows or Linux run machines at uni for any heavy lifting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol why not get an iPhone? Then you'll have the Apple hat trick.
The MacBook Pro is overkill for probably 90% of the population.

That said, I have one and I love it.
Reply 5
I don't think you'd a laptop for a Maths degree, wouldn't doing equations etc on a laptop take longer in lecture? In my opinion, stick to pen and paper. Get a iPhone instead.

Just buy a cheapish laptop around £200/300, you'll probably need it for moodle (assignments) etc, watching YouTube/Netflix etc.

You'll definitely need a printer with a scanner. You won't survive without a printer, especially if you have to hand in the assignments and in the library all the printers will be taken/busy. Saves the extra unnecessary stress. You'll also need a scanner if you hand written the coursework (equations etc) to scan the document then upload on moodle.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Lol why not get an iPhone? Then you'll have the Apple hat trick.

Really don't like iPhones or iOS.. Android phones tend to have much better customisability options and it's a lot easier to tweak the firmware as I see fit.
I don't see the problem.
Honestly, if you wanna treat yourself now while you can - Do it! I love my macbook, even though I share it with the family and get about 1GB storage on the HDD.... XD*

You can get software which will allow you to run Windows and switch back into mac just by closing the app. Something like Parallel Desktops? Google it.

I recommend, even if it is a bit overkill )) *
Reply 9

What exactly do you mean by overkill? Is that in terms of price?

Any of the latest laptop will do tbh (such as Dell XPS), since you'll manly need it for some programming modules (this depends on which uni you'll go to, but a large majority of unis will have these modules), matlab; also to view pdf files you can obtain most textbooks online, so you'll save quite a lot when it comes to buying textbooks (that is if your library won't have it) .

I'm also doing Maths, and ordered a Macbook Pro, mainly for programming (because of UNIX OS and also very good softwares for the OS).

Original post by Ishax
I don't think you'd a laptop for a Maths degree, wouldn't doing equations etc on a laptop take longer in lecture? In my opinion, stick to pen and paper. Get a iPhone instead.

Just buy a cheapish laptop around £200/300, you'll probably need it for moodle (assignments) etc, watching YouTube/Netflix etc.

You'll definitely need a printer with a scanner. You won't survive without a printer, especially if you have to hand in the assignments and in the library all the printers will be taken/busy. Saves the extra unnecessary stress. You'll also need a scanner if you hand written the coursework (equations etc) to scan the document then upload on moodle.

A laptop will be useful (not in lecture of course), as the degree itself does not only involve solely solving bunch of equations, and involves programming modules (generally in python and aso using matlab) as well as Latex . Also, for most uni, you are required to write a long ass paper for particular Maths modules (e.g. financial reporting, econometrics). Phones are useless in this case and you cannot do a lot of things you'll be required to do for the degree.

You won't really need a printer or a scanner, since it's very cheap to do it at the uni library or others. Either way, it's OP choice.
Original post by kkboyk

Any of the latest laptop will do tbh (such as Dell XPS), since you'll manly need it for some programming modules (this depends on which uni you'll go to, but a large majority of unis will have these modules), matlab; also to view pdf files you can obtain most textbooks online, so you'll save quite a lot when it comes to buying textbooks (that is if your library won't have it) .

I'm also doing Maths, and ordered a Macbook Pro, mainly for programming (because of UNIX OS and also very good softwares for the OS).

A laptop will be useful (not in lecture of course), as the degree itself does not only involve solely solving bunch of equations, and involves programming modules (generally in python and aso using matlab) as well as Latex . Also, for most uni, you are required to write a long ass paper for particular Maths modules (e.g. financial reporting, econometrics). Phones are useless in this case and you cannot do a lot of things you'll be required to do for the degree.

You won't really need a printer or a scanner, since it's very cheap to do it at the uni library or others. Either way, it's OP choice.

That's why I suggested OP buys a laptop around £200/300, instead of wasting £1,000 on a MacBook. As for printer, I prefer using mine as it can get expensive to print at univesity for me in this case. Also printers at university can get packed and be quite busy, so you'll have to plan ahead to print out etc. Scanning is free at university so no issue there with cost.
Reply 11
Original post by Ishax
That's why I suggested OP buys a laptop around £200/300, instead of wasting £1,000 on a MacBook. As for printer, I prefer using mine as it can get expensive to print at univesity for me in this case. Also printers at university can get packed and be quite busy, so you'll have to plan ahead to print out etc. Scanning is free at university so no issue there with cost.

Didn't disagree with that, except your other points.
It is, however as a Windows User, I do agree that Macs run fast. Ultimately, if you need an application that only runs on windows, you could do it on your desktop. However an ever better idea is to download bootcamp onto your Mac, which means that you can run both OSX and Windows at the same time and switch between them with just a simple reboot :smile:
Original post by kkboyk
Didn't disagree with that, except your other points.

I commute to university, so it's just easier for me to have a printer to print stuff off. I don't have much to print anyway as everything for me is online, I just like to print off lecture slides and exam papers.
All you need for maths is paper. But if you want a laptop, macs ARENT the way to go
Reply 15
Overkill yes. However they are excellent. Mine is 3 years old and still ridiculously quick. Also they last for years (my last was 9 years old before it expired). having an overpowered laptop is great for longterm ownership - websites and software require ever increasing power and specs, if you can have a better-than-average computer now it will be up to date for years to come.

P.S. I hardly use my MBP for anything more than word/browsing/image editing/light gaming. just because you do light tasks doesn't mean you can't have a good computer. As the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Yes they are, but I got a macbook pro as well and I'm doing dentistry. I love it
Original post by kkboyk

The macbook pro is £100 more than the dell xps 13 and with that I get better speakers, screen, battery and a more optimised OS. At my uni I can't use wireless printers but I can get a wired one, but the uni printing is cheap so yeah.
more optimised OS.

Please. I cannot stop laughing, my sides hurt.

Microsoft constantly claims a more optimised product on every release, and yet on comparative hardware, I can guarantee OSX will boot faster, it will use less system resources to perform the same tasks, so no, it is not more optimised - not even close.
Original post by iainvg
Please. I cannot stop laughing, my sides hurt.

Microsoft constantly claims a more optimised product on every release, and yet on comparative hardware, I can guarantee OSX will boot faster, it will use less system resources to perform the same tasks, so no, it is not more optimised - not even close.

Yeah mac OS is more optimised, that's what I was saying. You also don't get any bloatware.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending