The Student Room Group

Is it beautiful to be poor?

Am I the only nerd on here who doesn't want to be an investment banker/lawyer and obtain a high salary? I quite like being poor and ordinary. There's a romance to it I think and it's sort of rock n roll as well. Anyone feel the same?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, it's retarded that we romanticise failure.
Original post by Jizzy Jihad
No, it's retarded that we romanticise failure.

So money is the illustration of success to you Jizzy Jihad?
Reply 3
No - minimalist living can be beautiful but being poor really isn't, esp when you bout to be evicted from your house. Nothing romantic or rock and roll about it.
Nothing beautiful about always worrying about money and your kids future.
No.
Reply 6
I'm not going to lie, I'd love to be rich. Realistically speaking, I'd like to be somewhere in between. Without money you can't survive and money can buy comfort.
Reply 7
Who wouldn't want to be like this guy though?

Original post by z33
No - minimalist living can be beautiful but being poor really isn't, esp when you bout to be evicted from your house. Nothing romantic or rock and roll about it.

Romanticising poverty is a luxury only the upper middle class kids are able to indulge in.
Original post by z33

I guess minimalist living is what I meant. Obviously being extremely poor where you can't even afford your own house is not something I would advocate.
Original post by UWS
Who wouldn't want to be like this guy though?

Those could be one dollar notes, so he could be on a 100 dollars a month lol.
No you're not the only one. Fair play to you for not being controlled by money like 99% of the world are. Anyone who can learn to appreciate what they have even if it's not a lot are the real successes imo.

I can kinda see what you mean about the romantic bit as well, not like an attraction, but if you were poor and still decided to have a gf/bf and spend money on gifts/trips out/looking after them, that's a lot more romantic than some rich banker taking his wife somewhere without having to worry about the price.
Original post by Jizzy Jihad
Romanticising poverty is a luxury only the upper middle class kids are able to indulge in.

Jizzy Jihad I'm not upper middle class in fact I'm working class and I'm going to university this fall. I have no intentions to try a career in banking/business/finance because I have no intentions to become rich. I prefer being poor.
Reply 13
Original post by IronicalMan
Those could be one dollar notes, so he could be on a 100 dollars a month lol.

That's just him in the first hour brah
Try being dirt poor, homeless, scavenging for your next meal then see how rock n roll and beautiful it is
No, need my suit budget well stocked
Suits are good
Everyone should wear suits
Original post by UWS
That's just him in the first hour brah

First hour of pleasing 20 80 year old women ? LMAO
Original post by DraculaMihawk
So money is the illustration of success to you Jizzy Jihad?

It's not synonymous with success, you get underpaid research scientists who do a fine job of improving civilisation and are motivated by their thirst for knowledge, but in general it a male virtue to have that competitive drive.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Try being dirt poor, homeless, scavenging for your next meal then see how rock n roll and beautiful it is

Literally he doesn't know what being poor is like. I know people who are poor and it's not a nice life.
I wouldn't say it's beautiful to be poor, but I do think showing some self-restraint and modesty are good values. It's a sharp contrast to the love of excess and gluttony so often preached in our consumer capitalist society that has turned us into one of the most obese nations on the planet.

Quick Reply

Latest