The Student Room Group

Is it beautiful to be poor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Poverty is never beautiful.

Minimalism is the same. Always aim high.
Reply 21
Original post by IronicalMan
First hour of pleasing 20 80 year old women ? LMAO

Man's gotta make money somehow :wink:
Original post by Quantex
I wouldn't say it's beautiful to be poor, but I do think showing some self-restraint and modesty are good values. It's a sharp contrast to the love of excess and gluttony so often preached in our consumer capitalist society that has turned us into one of the most obese nations on the planet.

I agree, I mean I am from a poor background so I aspire to have a nice house and car, but nothing ridiculous, although I don't understand how anyone can call being poor beautiful, unless they've never truly experienced it, being in the 10 percent of poorest people cannot be fun.
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Jizzy Jihad I'm not upper middle class in fact I'm working class and I'm going to university this fall. I have no intentions to try a career in banking/business/finance because I have no intentions to become rich. I prefer being poor.

Tbh, if your first concern when going to university is the fees rather than the fact you're not needed to add to the household income, you're probably not that poor, maybe blue collar but not poor.

Finance is a broad church, I think investment bankers are pretty pathetic, not because I'm bitter, but because anyone putting in 90 hours for someone else's business is a schmuck and deserves to have his wife creampied by a low IQ'd pretty boy, but dammit at least aim to max out on 60k so you can buy your kiddies a nice Christmas.
Original post by Wring
Poverty is never beautiful.

Minimalism is the same. Always aim high.

Minimalism is classy, I lived in a tent for 2 and half months, if my parents were not so kind and indulgent of me I would probably buy a yearly pass on a camp site make that my home til I'm 30.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jizzy Jihad
Tbh, if your first concern when going to university is the fees rather than the fact you're not needed to add to the household income, you're probably not that poor, maybe blue collar but not poor.

Finance is a broad church, I think investment bankers are pretty pathetic, not because I'm bitter, but because anyone putting in 90 hours for someone else's business is a schmuck and deserves to have his wife creampied by a low IQ'd pretty boy, but dammit at least aim to max out on 60k so you can buy your kiddies a nice Christmas.

My parents want me to get a high paying job in banking to support them and I told them no because I'm not chasing after money. From whatever money I will make obviously I will support my family, I'm from a relatively poor country myself.

I would rather dive in a sea full of jellyfish than do finance. The end goal for me is joining the civil service fast stream which doesn't pay well until you join senior rank (which most people will never make)
(edited 7 years ago)
My parents want me to get a high paying job in banking to support them and I told them no because I'm not chasing after money. From whatever money I will make obviously I will support my family, I'm from a relatively poor country myself.

I would rather dive in a sea full of jellyfish then do finance. the end goal for me is joining the civil service fast stream which doesn't pay well until you join senior rank (which most people will never make)

25k isn't poor, it's just blue collar.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=civil+service+fast+stream+salary
Being frugal is a naturally (i.e. sometimes subconsciously) attractive trait, however being straight out poor generally isn't.
Original post by IronicalMan
Literally he doesn't know what being poor is like. I know people who are poor and it's not a nice life.

My parents earn below the national average actually. I do know what it's like living on a limited budget when putting food on the table. I just have no interests in buying a house (I'm probably not getting married), buying a sports car or fancy nice clothes. I'm quite content with buying clothes from Tescos and enjoying a minimal lifestyle.

Well it's not going to be much after I pay my taxes, live in London and pay off my tuition fees for my undergraduate and masters degree right?
My parents earn below the national average actually. I do know what it's like living on a limited budget when putting food on the table. I just have no interests in buying a house (I'm probably not getting married), buying a sports car or fancy nice clothes. I'm quite content with buying clothes from Tescos and enjoying a minimal lifestyle.

evidently your parents provided all they could to you. I personally would not see the point in anything unless I got a fairly decent life. Otherwise you might as well go kill some people you don't like, hypothetically lol
Well it's not going to be much after I pay my taxes, live in London and pay off my tuition fees for my undergraduate and masters degree right?

:nopity:
Reply 32

No it is NOT beautiful. I don't want to earn a high salary either, I'm not motivated by money, but I want enough to survive on and live comfortably, and be 'well off'.

That's because I hate being poor.

- Try being a child and having to split one can of kidney beans, with nothing else, between you, your Mum and your younger sibling for dinner.

- Or having no gas so you can't use the cooker.

- Or having 1 bag of rice, nothing else, to live off for a fortnight.

- Getting into a cycle of fines because you tried to get on a train without a ticket, because you couldn't afford the ticket, then you can't afford the fine, then you still can't afford it when it is doubled because you missed the deadline. And so on and so on.

- Seeing all your friends going on a school trip and missing out because your family can't afford to pay for it.

- People making fun of the area you live in, friends not wanting to visit you

- Having to comfort your Mum when she bursts into tears because she's got no money.

Being poor is horrible, nobody should have to go through it, nobody should glamorise it like it's fun because it isn't. And I'm not even that poor. God knows what it's like for some people in the UK who don't even know how long they will have a roof over their head.

Sorry for the very emotive rant

Edit - by the way, what you say about living minimalistically and it being romantic and lovely is hilarious too. That area I lived in when I was growing up, where none of my friends wanted to visit me? Now people my age are all flocking to live there, because it's so urban and 'authentic' and cool man.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abc:)
No it is NOT beautiful. I don't want to earn a high salary either, I'm not motivated by money, but I want enough to survive on and live comfortably, and be 'well off'.

That's because I hate being poor.

- Try being a child and having to split one can of kidney beans, with nothing else, between you, your Mum and your younger sibling for dinner.

- Or having no gas so you can't use the cooker.

- Or having 1 bag of rice, nothing else, to live off for a fortnight.

- Getting into a cycle of fines because you tried to get on a train without a ticket, because you couldn't afford the ticket, then you can't afford the fine, then you still can't afford it when it is doubled because you missed the deadline. And so on and so on.

- Seeing all your friends going on a school trip and missing out because your family can't afford to pay for it.

- People making fun of the area you live in, friends not wanting to visit you

- Having to comfort your Mum when she bursts into tears because she's got no money.

Being poor is horrible, nobody should have to go through it, nobody should glamorise it like it's fun because it isn't. And I'm not even that poor. God knows what it's like for some people in the UK who don't even know how long they will have a roof over their head.

Sorry for the very emotive rant

Okay fine I changed the thread title. I did not mean poor like extremely poor.
Reply 34
Okay fine I changed the thread title. I did not mean poor like extremely poor.

Ok cool please read my edit too. I understand and respect you not being motivated by money but, yano
Romanticising poverty is a luxury only the upper middle class kids are able to indulge in.

spot on

that username's a bit weird tho
Reply 36
There's always two sides to a coin. I grew up relatively poor to my peers and though I never had enough to indulge in, had all the hi tech toys and stuff they had. I was blessed with a good upbringing, a solid set of morals and values that most people my age don't tend to have. I'd give that for a opulent upbringing any day.

I'd say i'll be happy on 40k, not rich by any means but just enough to get by and enjoy life. Money doesn't buy happiness though.
romanticising being /poor/ = no

it's beautiful to lead a modest life not concerned with financial means yes, but that's not the same as being poor
Reply 38
I suppose it depends on what you classify as being poor... I wouldn't typically describe a modest life as being one where those living it are consider poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
looooool no.

I've had basically no money in my account for the past 2 months, haven't even been able to leave this stupid suburb for at least one night out in the city. Meanwhile on Facebook, my old private school friends are jetsetting to different locales, enjoying nice food, going out.. The people with jobs are enjoying themselves on holiday.

There is nothing romantic or beautiful about having no money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest