The Student Room Group

Should I bring a 2nd phone to uni?

I'm getting the new iPhone 7 on Friday (don't judge :P) and obviously don't want to lose it during freshers. Would it be worth buying a cheap 2nd hand phone off eBay?
whats the point of buying a phone you cant take with you? Defeats the purpose of a mobile
Reply 2
Original post by skeptical_john
whats the point of buying a phone you cant take with you? Defeats the purpose of a mobile

Lol I get what you mean however I will only be using it on nights out
Yeah, might not be the worst idea if you don't trust yourself to not lose your phone.
Original post by 7ommy Rich
I'm getting the new iPhone 7 on Friday (don't judge :P) and obviously don't want to lose it during freshers. Would it be worth buying a cheap 2nd hand phone off eBay?

Hello :smile:,

I understand your worries - personally I'd just take your old phone if you are that worried about damaging or losing your phone in Freshers instead of buying a new one as that just isn't worth it.

However, you should be prepared to take it to these type of events if you are willing to buy the phone. You buy it for the features it has and i'm assuming you'd thought the features of the phone will be useful so I'd say just get a good case and take it with you.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Although I understand the concern of losing an iPhone, I've never understand the concern on nights out. Put it in your trouser pocket (Guys) or in a bag (girls). If you're still losing it, you must be passed out drunk! haha

My biggest worry taking my iPhone out on a night out is the battery not lasting long enough for Citymapper/uber at the end of the night!*
Original post by 7ommy Rich

The only reason why some people have another phone is to be the TRAP phone, get your phone after the hype of freshers has died down!

Take Care of yourself too!
Reply 7
It's not a bad idea, especially since you'd only be using it during freshers. Even so, it wouldn't be that hard to ensure your phone doesn't get stolen whilst on a night out, just keep it close to you at all times - deep pockets are a lovely invention.
I wouldn't take a phone tbh?
Don't forget that we have applications in order to track our phones. We also have insurance policies in order to compensate you with another phone in the case of you losing it. One advantage of the iOS platform is that all your files and settings can be linked over iCloud. Even if someone stole your phone, once you blocked it, the thief would have to purchase a new logic board and replace the phone's existing one in order to circumvent the IMEI block (prevents carriers from working with the phone).

Original post by Dewsy
My biggest worry taking my iPhone out on a night out is the battery not lasting long enough for Citymapper/uber at the end of the night!*

Invest in a portable charger. It will be the best feeling when you're able to give your battery 3x its original capacity.
Reply 10
I think a good insurance policy will be more beneficial. Some are expensive but if you can afford it I would definitely look into it
I know quite a few people who had a cheap phone for nights out and travelling and I thought it was a good idea, so many people lose/break/drop their phone down the toilet while drunk and as much as you should insure it it's also just easier not to worry on a night out

you don't even need to find a second hand phone... just go down to tesco or somewhere and you can pick up a cheap crappy one for £20 which will call and text and do you for a night out
I second doodle's comment. Just get a cheapo phone so you won't be in a huge loss IF you do happen to lose it. Trusting yourself not to lose it as some have said is total rubbish because people lose plenty of stuff on a daily basis without even having a drink or being in a surrounding where loss is possible.
Don't get a phone at all, just make a fire and use a blanket to make smoke signals in the air...

It's free

Quick Reply