The Student Room Group

Considering resitting A-levels

Hello,

I've just graduated with a masters degree in tropical disease biology having done zoology at undergrad. I have recently decided to take the path down medicine and was looking at applying for a graduate entry course at Liverpool. I got a distinction at masters and a first at uni but my A-levels fall very short of the minimum requirements. I got a CCDD in Biology, English Language, Chemistry and Maths respectively and they ask for BBB and a 2:1 at uni.

I guess my question is, should I resit my A-levels? or do you reckon its possible I would have a chance with the qualifications I've got if I get some work experience.

Thanks
Original post by 04niceck
Hello,

I've just graduated with a masters degree in tropical disease biology having done zoology at undergrad. I have recently decided to take the path down medicine and was looking at applying for a graduate entry course at Liverpool. I got a distinction at masters and a first at uni but my A-levels fall very short of the minimum requirements. I got a CCDD in Biology, English Language, Chemistry and Maths respectively and they ask for BBB and a 2:1 at uni.

I guess my question is, should I resit my A-levels? or do you reckon its possible I would have a chance with the qualifications I've got if I get some work experience.

Thanks

Oh wow, firstly congratulations with your uni degrees!! Are you hoping to just resit a few A-level modules because most of the A-levels now are under the new linear layout :frown:

But Maths is still under the old spec (from 2008 onwards) so you can definitely resit some modules for that :smile:

How old are you btw? Will you be able to commit to studying? Will you have other commitments such as a job?
Reply 2
Thanks, my A-level results were a real wake up call so really tried to do the best I could at uni, but looks like its coming back to haunt me.

For what I'd have to resit, I did okay at AS and also the A2 coursework units for AQA chemistry and biology however the A2 exams really brought me down and in maths also, so i I were to resit I would just want to resit those units. I was told that the specifications had changed but was curious to see if they offered resits for 'legacy' specs.

Job wise, I'm 23 and I'm currently just trying to find a means to an end job to pay of the debts I incurred at masters. So I would have time to study and also find some work experience.
Reply 3
Have you contacted Liverpool to ask about how firm their entry requirements are? Considering you received a first in your masters, they may consider your A-Levels to be somewhat irrelevant given they were sat what was likely four years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Zeumryn
Have you contacted Liverpool to ask about how firm their entry requirements are? Considering you received a first in your masters, they may consider your A-Levels to be somewhat irrelevant given they were sat what was likely four years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed them a few days ago but haven't received a response back from them yet :frown:. So I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone was in a similar position i'm in and still managed to get on a medicine course with bad A-levels

Quick Reply

Latest