The Student Room Group

Labour set to take Cameron's Witney constituency?

Scroll to see replies

Attachment not found
Original post by Ambitious1999
I've never been to Witney recently but seen it on google earth and not a lot of industry exits there meaning the local economy must be quite poor. Possibly Similar to South Yorkshire?

Anyway the point I'm getting at is by having the prime minister as local MP a lot of his policies probably started in Whitney, bedroom tax, austerity cuts, food banks etc.
No doubt when Thatcher invented the Poll tax, her home town of Lincoln was the first place to have poll tax and that's not far from Nottingham which has the first pit closures.

Being leader you lead by example and policies start from home. So I'd think people of Whitney have had enough.

If their MP had not been PM then the Tories would still have a good chance of winning again in Whitney.

Whitney is a place for the rich to relax.

image.jpeg
(edited 7 years ago)
I've never been to Witney recently but seen it on google earth and not a lot of industry exits there meaning the local economy must be quite poor. Possibly Similar to South Yorkshire?

Anyway the point I'm getting at is by having the prime minister as local MP a lot of his policies probably started in Whitney, bedroom tax, austerity cuts, food banks etc.
No doubt when Thatcher invented the Poll tax, her home town of Lincoln was the first place to have poll tax and that's not far from Nottingham which has the first pit closures.

Being leader you lead by example and policies start from home. So I'd think people of Whitney have had enough.

If their MP had not been PM then the Tories would still have a good chance of winning again in Whitney.

Google Earth demographics??
Hilarious which if wasn't so trusting would probably suggest you are a troll on a mission to wind us up.
Its London banking commuter belt, its in no way like South Yorkshire.

Witney isn't a place that has bedroom tax trials, more like Bradford and Lancashire.

You are truly clueless, but I suggest if you want to do some good then join the labour party in your area and get their message out locally
Original post by niteninja1

One example to support my point was Ester McVey who was not only Tory MP for the Wirral she was also the right hand women for IDS and was responsible for seeing massive benefit cuts and cruel welfare reforms. In 2015 she lost to labour.

No doubt Wirral was like Whitney. A pro Tory area, but with McVeys harsh welfare reforms people had enough and voted her out.

A lot say Corbyn is the favorite in the leadership contest.

Nope. It's part of the Cotswolds(or on the periphery of it if not officially part).

Anyway the point I'm getting at is by having the prime minister as local MP a lot of his policies probably started in Whitney, bedroom tax, austerity cuts, food banks etc. No doubt when Thatcher invented the Poll tax, her home town of Lincoln was the first place to have poll tax and that's not far from Nottingham which has the first pit closures.

All national policies which inevitably affect Labour areas more as on average they aren't as well of.

Being leader you lead by example and policies start from home. So I'd think people of Whitney have had enough

See above.

The only correct thing you've said here so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witney_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s
Original post by niteninja1
Attachment not found

Whitney is a place for the rich to relax.

image.jpeg

Ah yes similar to the Wirral which until 2015 was a safe Tory seat under Ester McVey. However she was also Ian Duncan Smiths deputy who launched bedroom tax, terrible welfare reforms etc. In the 2015 GE she was replaced by a labour MP because people had simply had enough of her and Tory policies. Do I have a good point?

That's how I'm elected in the college debating society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bedroom tax in Witney loooooooooool what you smoking mate
One example to support my point was Ester McVey who was not only Tory MP for the Wirral she was also the right hand women for IDS and was responsible for seeing massive benefit cuts and cruel welfare reforms. In 2015 she lost to labour.

No doubt Wirral was like Whitney. A pro Tory area, but with McVeys harsh welfare reforms people had enough and voted her out.

The Wirral is a marginal area in close proximity to Merseyside(Liverpool being a contender for the title of "who hates the Tories the most")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirral_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s
(edited 7 years ago)

Not really Wirral is in a city which is a more pro labour area, it has a lower income and standard of living and crucially hasn't voted conservatives for over 50 years
Ah yes similar to the Wirral which until 2015 was a safe Tory seat under Ester McVey. However she was also Ian Duncan Smiths deputy who launched bedroom tax, terrible welfare reforms etc. In the 2015 GE she was replaced by a labour MP because people had simply had enough of her and Tory policies. Do I have a good point?

That's how I'm elected in the college debating society.

No.
Must be trolling.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I nearly fell of my chair when I clicked on that.

In addition to this would Whitney not want their local MP to be labour if they are likely win a GE?

Because it's Tory land. I know as I've got family there.
Original post by JamesN88
The Wirral is a marginal area in close proximity to Merseyside(Liverpool being a contender for the title of "who hates the Tories the most":wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirral_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

True but is it really a right or left thing these days related to the North being left leaning and the south being right leaning?

A lot of the North overwhelmingly supported UKIPs Brexit vote. UKIP is a rightwing party.

A lot of the south especially London voted remain and staying in the EU is generally a left leaning policy supported mainly by Labour and totally by the SNP.

I think there is every possibility of Whitney leaning to the left. Cameron was pro EU and people might support the left to stop Brexit happening so quickly in Whitney.

The traditional North South political divisions are all mixed up now.
Here it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-could-win-snap-general-election

In addition to this would Whitney not want their local MP to be labour if they are likely win a GE?

You do realise that you've linked me to Jeremy Corbyn saying he can win, not actually any kind of opinion poll? Not exactly a neutral source!

Whitney is in Oxfordshire which means it does not need industry because those shire counties are essentially commuter towns for wealthy London professionals who have reached middle management and sent the kids to university. South Yorkshire actually has a lot of industry but little wealth, everybody of importance commutes to Leeds.

Ignoring the fact that Wilson culled more coal mines (and grammar schools actually) i'd point out that even if first, the demographics of the town mean that fewer people than average are subjected to such policy.

Being leader has also given the people of Whitney something to be proud of when he's done good. They are the people who've enabled him to do that.

The Tories will do so.
I think labour should put a labour MP in place to replace Cameron in Witney. The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron.
The reasons are that people in Witney probably suffered the worst under Cameron's austerity, benefit cuts and bedroom tax were probably far worse here as a result of having the PM as local MP. I also think that since Cameron caused the EU referendum that Brexit will happen much quicker in Witney unless a labour MP can save Witney.
So I would not be surprised if Cameron is replaced by a labour MP.

The Tories were 43 percentage points ahead of us in Witney last term and Jeremy Corbyn is one of the most unpopular Leaders of the Opposition in living memory. We won't be making a gain there anytime soon:lol:
True but is it really a right or left thing these days related to the North being left leaning and the south being right leaning? A lot of the North overwhelmingly supported UKIPs Brexit vote. UKIP is a rightwing party.

No they voted Brexit. How well UKIP do in the future is yet to be seen.

A lot of the south especially London voted remain and staying in the EU is generally a left leaning policy supported mainly by Labour and totally by the SNP.

Brexit is a cross party issue.

Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle all backed Remain and the Southern counties outside London largely voted Leave. The entire country was split all over the place. Even in Scotland 38% still voted Leave which isn't insignificant.

I think there is every possibility of Whitney leaning to the left. Cameron was pro EU and people might support the left to stop Brexit happening so quickly in Whitney.

You need to research what "safe seat" means. One that has swung back and forth between parties over the years isn't.

The traditional North South political divisions are all mixed up now.

This isn't going to make the Tory heartland vote for the most left-wing and unelectable Labour party in decades. :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Whitney is in Oxfordshire which means it does not need industry because those shire counties are essentially commuter towns for wealthy London professionals who have reached middle management and sent the kids to university. South Yorkshire actually has a lot of industry but little wealth, everybody of importance commutes to Leeds.

Ignoring the fact that Wilson culled more coal mines (and grammar schools actually) i'd point out that even if first, the demographics of the town mean that fewer people than average are subjected to such policy.

Being leader has also given the people of Whitney something to be proud of when he's done good. They are the people who've enabled him to do that.

The Tories will do so.

Well despite me being a labour supporter and pro Blair. Tony Blair was MP for Sedgefield in Co. Durham. Under his premiership Sedgefield remained to have high levels of unemployment and deprivation. Of course most of this was a legacy of the irreparable damage caused by Thatcher in the 1980s. However having a PM as local MP didn't improve the lives of people in Sedgefield. They voted labour out.

Likewise Whitney probably is like Sedgefield.

Give it ten years and it wouldn't surprise me if Whitney is Labour and Sedgefield Tory.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think labour should put a labour MP in place to replace Cameron in Witney. The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron.
The reasons are that people in Witney probably suffered the worst under Cameron's austerity, benefit cuts and bedroom tax were probably far worse here as a result of having the PM as local MP. I also think that since Cameron caused the EU referendum that Brexit will happen much quicker in Witney unless a labour MP can save Witney.
So I would not be surprised if Cameron is replaced by a labour MP.

I think we can pretty much 100% sure that a Conservative will win the Witney seat.

Quick Reply

Latest