The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Advice Needed

Hey guys just wanted to know what you think about this.

First im due to go into my 3rd year of Chemical Engineering, but have got an offer to study it at Sheffield but for 2nd year entry.

I think that ill be happier at Sheffield and it is overrall a better university for placements, employability, research etc.

What are your thought on moving a year back just to change university?
personally i'd do just to stay in university for as long as possible.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
You don't say where you are at the moment and why you don't like it (or is it Aston from your username?). You've obviously put some thought into it to get the offer at Sheffield. Research doesn't matter at all at undergraduate level, so that shouldn't be one of your criteria. Personally I wouldn't want to waste the year.
Original post by Duncan2012
You don't say where you are at the moment and why you don't like it (or is it Aston from your username?). You've obviously put some thought into it to get the offer at Sheffield. Research doesn't matter at all at undergraduate level, so that shouldn't be one of your criteria. Personally I wouldn't want to waste the year.

Im at Bradford at the moment (Aston because i support Aston Villa :smile:).

I dont mind being there, its a pretty comfortable place to be and everyone is friendly and all, an hour by train from home even though im living out (same as Sheffield).

But i wanted to go some place that i wanted to be proud - no offence to Brad (probably all this Russell Group Propaganda) and i genuinely believe being somewhere like this will 'bring me out of my shell' and do something amazing, as this is the side that i need to succeed in placements/ interviews / life etc. Plus i dont feel in an environment where we are encouraged to push ourselves to become better engineers e.g.most of the exam paper questions are just the same as the tutorial questions

I may be just talking rubbish but anyones advice is helpful.
Anything?
Reply 5
Do you enjoy where you currently are? Is it mainly employment prospects that make you wish to move?
Reply 6
You should do what you want to do. It's not that big of a deal and Sheffield is better so why not
Reply 7
A year back really isn't a big deal. I repeated AS (due to bad grades lol but regardless), and a year back honestly made no difference. The situations are of course much different but the point is that one year back won't affect you in terms of education but can affect you greatly in that the move to Sheffield will make you much happier! If you don't move you might regret not taking the chance, so my opinion is go for it, it might be handier to stay put where you are but the easiest things in life aren't always the most fulfilling :smile:
Original post by Zeumryn
Do you enjoy where you currently are? Is it mainly employment prospects that make you wish to move?

No i cant say that I enjoy being there, i would say its 60-40 in terms of happiness- employment in why i want the move. Because Sheffield is geared towards the Biological side of Chemical Engineering (which i want to get into).

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by JonathanAston2
Hey guys just wanted to know what you think about this.

First im due to go into my 3rd year of Chemical Engineering, but have got an offer to study it at Sheffield but for 2nd year entry.

I think that ill be happier at Sheffield and it is overrall a better university for placements, employability, research etc.

What are your thought on moving a year back just to change university?

I'm a Sheffield about to start my second year in chemical engineering.
I love it.

The course, the people, the city and the peek district. It has everything I wanted in a university.
About what you said in regard to placements. I dont know how easy it is to get placements when at other Unis but a lot of my friends managed to get placements after just completing first year which is apparently quite uncommon?

As long as you get good grades it shouldn't really matter where you went to uni. But there are always some employers who are going to be snobbish and regard Russell group as being better.

Overall I think your prospects would improve at Sheffield but you need to decide if you want it enough to spend an extra year at uni.
Original post by Lissy14
I'm a Sheffield about to start my second year in chemical engineering.
I love it.

The course, the people, the city and the peek district. It has everything I wanted in a university.
About what you said in regard to placements. I dont know how easy it is to get placements when at other Unis but a lot of my friends managed to get placements after just completing first year which is apparently quite uncommon?

As long as you get good grades it shouldn't really matter where you went to uni. But there are always some employers who are going to be snobbish and regard Russell group as being better.

Overall I think your prospects would improve at Sheffield but you need to decide if you want it enough to spend an extra year at uni.

Thankyou for replying.

It seems that placements are not hard to find at Sheffield; as at my uni no one managed to get one and there were a few really smart people.

Tell me what is the general feeling around Sheffield in terms of lectures, class mates, lecturers etc. I can see that you really love it.

One other thing is that i will turn 22 in January and im a bit sceptical about being some really old guy (even though i dont feel and look :smile: almost 22) .
Original post by JonathanAston2
Thankyou for replying.

It seems that placements are not hard to find at Sheffield; as at my uni no one managed to get one and there were a few really smart people.

Tell me what is the general feeling around Sheffield in terms of lectures, class mates, lecturers etc. I can see that you really love it.

One other thing is that i will turn 22 in January and im a bit sceptical about being some really old guy (even though i dont feel and look :smile: almost 22) .

We have lots of support to help us find placements so if you want one you will probably manage to find one.

Obviously Chem Eng has more lectures than other degrees but I imagine that is the same everywhere. The lecture halls are all new because they are baised in the diamond building and the lectures them selves have power points available on line before hand. Most lectures post question sheets online for practice and run a drop in session once a week for if you got stuck with it. It's all really relaxed and in formal so it's really easy and stress free to go and get help.

The class mates are great too. There are a lot of group projects so you should make a large variety of friends quickly. There are the quite people and the louder people but everyone I have worked with has been very motivated so we can all bond over the work we are doing. Group projects have around 6 people and people seem to work together to help each over. Everyone I have met has been lovely and is always willing to give you a hand if you are struggling with something in the group.

Honestly I don't think your age will matter. People don't even seem to ask how old you are any more because it doesn't actually make a difference. I'm sure there will be some people your age, especially those who did a fondation year, but you might find them really immature and prefer other people! You never know :smile:

Quick Reply