The Student Room Group

Finance & Consulting - Sixth Form FAQ:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdeptDz
Were you saying this in general? Or just for this case

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just for the specific guy who asked me since his AS results weren't great. LSE is great if you can achieve good AS results (like AAAA or AAAB)
Original post by natninja
As did i. Proving interest in finance is a given, having to prove you are capable of interacting with people is not something you'll have to do unless you did physics, maths, engineering or comp sci. I got asked in a final round interview at JPM to prove I could relate to people given I studied physics as a first question...

What would you say about economic/finance and accounting

I'm guessing they'd ask you a lot of technical questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
I
Original post by Trapz99
Just for the specific guy who asked me since his AS results weren't great. LSE is great if you can achieve good AS results (like AAAA or AAAB)

Yep I want to go there hopefully.
If I work hard and say get AAAA at AS
And predicted like A*A* A A
Would it be okay to apply for like

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Imperial
And a semi target with like AAB/ABB (would like to put oxbridge here just to say I tried but I don't think my gcses (3A* 7A 1B) are good enough and also they don't offer like a variety of courses plus all those extra tests and interviews and stiff) isn't there the roughly same chance getting in at any target)

Reason I'm asking this because I remember reading

2targets
2semi
1 back up

But yeah what would anyone advise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
I

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Imperial
And a semi target with like AAB/ABB (would like to put oxbridge here just to say I tried but I don't think my gcses (3A* 7A 1B) are good enough and also they don't offer like a variety of courses plus all those extra tests and interviews and stiff) isn't there the roughly same chance getting in at any target)

2targets
2semi
1 back up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just apply to the universities you want to apply to I guess.
Original post by Princepieman
That's expected, but they still got the interviews.

Same with someone studying music who gets an interview but has to prove their interest in finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
Would you say computer science or accounting and finance has more maths because i was looking into kent as they were asking for a B for A+F in gcse maths but for Comp Sci accepted a C
Original post by Trapz99
Just apply to the universities you want to apply to I guess.

Coool, just don't want to make a wrong choice

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Coool, just don't want to make a wrong choice

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really wouldn't recommend 4 top tier unis on your ucas application.. diversify a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wouldn't recommend 4 top tier unis on your ucas application.. diversify a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 targets 2 semis? Or would you recommend 2 targets.
Just thought having 4 would give highest chance of getting into one

Tbh I don't even know how uni applications work and stuff, I'll go research it now.

Like if you applied but don't receive an offer can you apply to other ones or does that count as one option and you can't change :/ or do you only get one offer or what :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
3 targets 2 semis? Or would you recommend 2 targets.
Just thought having 4 would give highest chance of getting into one

Tbh I don't even know how uni applications work and stuff, I'll go research it now.

Like if you applied but don't receive an offer can you apply to other ones or does that count as one option and you can't change :/ or do you only get one offer or what :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you still have a lot of time don't worry about it now, most people in my year are still not sure what universities they're applying to.
Original post by AdeptDz
I

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Imperial

2targets
2semi
1 back up

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should probably wait until you get your AS results before you decide what 5 unis would represent a realistic combination for you. Even if you do indeed get straight As at AS and have great predicted grades, it's probably wise to at least have 1 'acceptable' back-up (one of the semi-targets probably) and a 'worst-case scenario' back-up.

Don't worry too much about applying to nothing but top-tier universities to 'increase your chances' of getting an offer. To be honest, when it comes to UK unis, as long as you have the grades you'll most likely be made an offer. With AAAA + A*A*AA to take your example, as long as you make sure you have a solid PS, it's highly unlikely that you'll get 3 rejections from target unis. It's better to have the safety of a lower offer for your insurance in case you bomb your A2s.

But yeah, this is all hypothetical, don't worry about it too much until you actually have your AS results and A2 predictions.
(edited 7 years ago)
An advantages to doing an integrated masters if you're doing Physics or Natural Sciences?
Original post by DarkEnergy
An advantages to doing an integrated masters if you're doing Physics or Natural Sciences?

Not for finance or consulting, maybe if you would ever consider a career in research or you want to learn more about your course at a higher level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not important if you're set on the banking/finance or consulting sector, unless you're interested in a quant role or something, in which case you'd require further study than an integrated masters in physics/natsci. The main point of the integrated masters would be to attain chartered (chartered physicist etc) status, and to be able to further your studies without having to worry about funding for a stand-alone masters course.

If you're also considering a future as a physicist/scientist, or if you just enjoy the course that much, then by all means go for it though.
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah so it's a thread where the OP has already addressed the frequently asked questions on the original post.

I asked a question somewhere else and was directed here. Prick.
-

Original post by justinawe

Thanks! Think I'll go for the masters then as it's another year before entering the real world haha.
Thanks! Think I'll go for the masters then as it's another year before entering the real world haha.

No prob. If I remember correctly, around when I was applying to uni and researching courses, pretty much every integrated master's course said that you can opt to switch to the 3-year bachelor's degree any time within your first couple years, so you can always do that if you're not feeling up to the 4 year course once you're there.

Only problem that could arise with that might be spring weeks perhaps, those are generally for 1st year students on 3-year courses or 2nd year students on 4-year courses if I remember correctly. So if you decide in your 2nd year that you want to shift to the 3-year course, that would probably be a bit awkward, I think you'd have to pass up on that opportunity. Maybe someone more familiar with how it works in the UK can advise you on that, since I'm in the US and SWs aren't really done here, and I'm honestly not too sure how important it is for those of you in the UK to get one either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ImGoingToFail12
I asked a question somewhere else and was directed here. Prick.

LOL burn...
Original post by Trapz99
LOL burn...

It wasn't meant to be a burn...
Original post by ImGoingToFail12
It wasn't meant to be a burn...

Lol ok
Original post by justinawe
No prob. If I remember correctly, around when I was applying to uni and researching courses, pretty much every integrated master's course said that you can opt to switch to the 3-year bachelor's degree any time within your first couple years, so you can always do that if you're not feeling up to the 4 year course once you're there.

Only problem that could arise with that might be spring weeks perhaps, those are generally for 1st year students on 3-year courses or 2nd year students on 4-year courses if I remember correctly. So if you decide in your 2nd year that you want to shift to the 3-year course, that would probably be a bit awkward, I think you'd have to pass up on that opportunity. Maybe someone more familiar with how it works in the UK can advise you on that, since I'm in the US and SWs aren't really done here, and I'm honestly not too sure how important it is for those of you in the UK to get one either.

Oh snap. Which year are you in at Stanford?

One of my mates started there last year, and a few this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending