The Student Room Group

Can he do this?

Hi, my brother achieved ABC in his AS in maths, f maths and psychology. He knows his maths prediction will be an A* but thinks the other two may be BB (the further maths teacher is very reluctant to predict a grade higher). If he is predicted A*BB will he still be able to apply to AAB courses or would you advise against this? (This is for maths btw)
Original post by Ben4444
Hi, my brother achieved ABC in his AS in maths, f maths and psychology. He knows his maths prediction will be an A* but thinks the other two may be BB (the further maths teacher is very reluctant to predict a grade higher). If he is predicted A*BB will he still be able to apply to AAB courses or would you advise against this? (This is for maths btw)

Applying to 1-2 unis with requirements just above his predictions is perfectly reasonable. Their offer is still likely to be AAB, however, and whether they would accept him with results of A*BB would be down to how things turn out on the day.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Applying to 1-2 unis with requirements just above his predictions is perfectly reasonable. Their offer is still likely to be AAB, however, and whether they would accept him with results of A*BB would be down to how things turn out on the day.

Thank you for your response. Do you think that some unis might view A*BB as the same as AAB? Particularly as the A* will be in maths. I know that Newcastle and Cardiff say AAB or A*BB, so does it follow that if it doesn't specifically state A*BB that it's not viewed in the same light.
Reply 3
Sometimes universities are willing to modify their offers for when the grades are irregular like that. I had a friend who applied to Manchester for an ABB course who got an ABC offer because he had ACD in his AS'
Reply 4
Original post by Zeumryn
Sometimes universities are willing to modify their offers for when the grades are irregular like that. I had a friend who applied to Manchester for an ABB course who got an ABC offer because he had ACD in his AS'

Thanks, that's good to know😀
Original post by Ben4444
Thank you for your response. Do you think that some unis might view A*BB as the same as AAB? Particularly as the A* will be in maths. I know that Newcastle and Cardiff say AAB or A*BB, so does it follow that if it doesn't specifically state A*BB that it's not viewed in the same light.

Unless the university state 'AAB or A*BB' then it is not automatically viewed in the same light. However, they might well still make an offer with those predictions and if replicated on results day they might well regard them as as good enough.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Unless the university state 'AAB or A*BB' then it is not automatically viewed in the same light. However, they might well still make an offer with those predictions and if replicated on results day they might well regard them as as good enough.

Thank you😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending