The Student Room Group

Question about Spring Internships (Spring weeks)

I noticed most spring internships state they are for students in the first year of a 3 year degree or the second year of a 4 year degree. What would I do if i didn't know how long my degree will be? I have to decide at the beginning of the third year whether I want to carry on and do a 4th year to gain a Masters. I am just about to start my first year in a few weeks and I'm not sure whether I will be doing the fourth year or not. Would I be able to apply both in the first year and the second year, if not when should I apply? Thanks.
Original post by robbertg45
I noticed most spring internships state they are for students in the first year of a 3 year degree or the second year of a 4 year degree. What would I do if i didn't know how long my degree will be? I have to decide at the beginning of the third year whether I want to carry on and do a 4th year to gain a Masters. I am just about to start my first year in a few weeks and I'm not sure whether I will be doing the fourth year or not. Would I be able to apply both in the first year and the second year, if not when should I apply? Thanks.

Look in the spring week thread, already answered this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I read that and you said 'Otherwise, wait til next year if you really want to do the MEng.'
What if you're not sure if you'd like to opt into the 4 year course on not? As in say for example i apply in my first year and decide to opt into the 4 year course, would that not cause a problem? thank you again.
I read that and you said 'Otherwise, wait til next year if you really want to do the MEng.'
What if you're not sure if you'd like to opt into the 4 year course on not? As in say for example i apply in my first year and decide to opt into the 4 year course, would that not cause a problem? thank you again.

Would just mean you'd have to pray they let you defer any converted summer offers (pretty much impossible) or (most likely) forgo any converted summer offers (if you get any that is). You would then wait until 3rd year anyway to apply for internships (or if by some miracle you are allowed to defer, then you'd just do the summer internship after 3rd year as normal).

Above also goes for if you don't get any conversion offers.

You can reapply to spring weeks that you didn't attend the prior year too.

This is kinda why I said just wait til next year because it makes things all complex with different scenarios.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Ahh I see that makes sense, im just worried that if i dont apply this year and i dont choose to do the 4th year then I would i have missed out on all the spring week opportunities
Ahh I see that makes sense, im just worried that if i dont apply this year and i dont choose to do the 4th year then I would i have missed out on all the spring week opportunities

That can also happen yes, but you'd just apply to summer internships in that case anyway. Most summer interns will not have done spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have a similar question. If I was hypothetically at the end of first year after completing a spring week however decided to change course at Uni which required me to start a 3 year course again what would the likely situation be in terms of converting into summer internships or further spring weeks during my new course? Would I be better off not doing them in the first year at all?
Original post by nitin985
I have a similar question. If I was hypothetically at the end of first year after completing a spring week however decided to change course at Uni which required me to start a 3 year course again what would the likely situation be in terms of converting into summer internships or further spring weeks during my new course? Would I be better off not doing them in the first year at all?

Yes to the last question if you know for sure you're switching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
Yes to the last question if you know for sure you're switching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any idea would I be losing out on if i did apply first year but still switched?
Any idea would I be losing out on if i did apply first year but still switched?

No disadvantage, just would mean you may have to reapply to other springs and/or forgo any converted summer internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
No disadvantage, just would mean you may have to reapply to other springs and/or forgo any converted summer internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh haha thanks, Will probably still apply this year then and think about the switch later. Gaining spring week experience this year should surely improve my application if i were to apply again?
Oh haha thanks, Will probably still apply this year then and think about the switch later. Gaining spring week experience this year should surely improve my application if i were to apply again?

I guess the brand name and the fact you got on it will help, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I guess the brand name and the fact you got on it will help, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good to me, If u don't mind me asking what Uni do you/are u going to mate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending