The Student Room Group

Labour set to take Cameron's Witney constituency?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Well despite me being a labour supporter and pro Blair. Tony Blair was MP for Sedgefield in Co. Durham. Under his premiership Sedgefield remained to have high levels of unemployment and deprivation. Of course most of this was a legacy of the irreparable damage caused by Thatcher in the 1980s. However having a PM as local MP didn't improve the lives of people in Sedgefield. They voted labour out.

Likewise Whitney probably is like Sedgefield.

Give it ten years and it wouldn't surprise me if Whitney is Labour and Sedgefield Tory.

Then that was a failure of Blair as PM, Cameron however has not made Whitney poorer.

Not sure where you get the idea that Sedgefield kicked Labour out, Blair simply resigned and another Labour guy won.
I think labour should put a labour MP in place to replace Cameron in Witney. The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron.
The reasons are that people in Witney probably suffered the worst under Cameron's austerity, benefit cuts and bedroom tax were probably far worse here as a result of having the PM as local MP. I also think that since Cameron caused the EU referendum that Brexit will happen much quicker in Witney unless a labour MP can save Witney.
So I would not be surprised if Cameron is replaced by a labour MP.

I mean, Cameron only had a 43% lead when the Tories were polling half the lead nationally they currently do, even if we assume a half decent incumbency bonus that will be lost there is still only one way that lead will go, especially if they get a good Eurosceptic candidate in there.
Original post by Rakas21
Then that was a failure of Blair as PM, Cameron however has not made Whitney poorer.

Not sure where you get the idea that Sedgefield kicked Labour out, Blair simply resigned and another Labour guy won.

Even with a 25% swing since Blair retired from the commons there is still a 18 point majority, even with Corbyn that will still be super safe, last time it was Conservative was before the 1935 election. The smallest the majority has been since then was 16.8%, and even in '83 it was still 18.4%.
(edited 7 years ago)
To summarise; there's as much chance of the City endorsing the Communist Party as there is of Labour winning this by-election.
Original post by Tempest II
You do realise that you've linked me to Jeremy Corbyn saying he can win, not actually any kind of opinion poll? Not exactly a neutral source!

I'm sure before 2010 there were news articles where Cameron said he could win, ok he only partly won because the Lib dems helped him win but its the same thing. Every potential leader says they can win and often they do. Like me I said I'd be elected in to the colleges debating last term society and I was.

Its a case of self belief.
I'm sure before 2010 there were news articles where Cameron said he could win, ok he only partly won because the Lib dems helped him win but its the same thing. Every potential leader says they can win and often they do. Like me I said I'd be elected in to the colleges debating last term society and I was.

Its a case of self belief.

Hitler thought he could still win WW2 in 1945.
Sadly, Labour needs time to recover. I hate Cameron, but Brits are currently ridden with xenophobia and retardation, what can you do? Sigh.
I've never been to Witney recently but seen it on google earth and not a lot of industry exits there meaning the local economy must be quite poor. Possibly Similar to South Yorkshire?

Anyway the point I'm getting at is by having the prime minister as local MP a lot of his policies probably started in Whitney, bedroom tax, austerity cuts, food banks etc.
No doubt when Thatcher invented the Poll tax, her home town of Lincoln was the first place to have poll tax and that's not far from Nottingham which has the first pit closures.

Being leader you lead by example and policies start from home. So I'd think people of Whitney have had enough.

If their MP had not been PM then the Tories would still have a good chance of winning again in Whitney.

Thatcher is from Grantham, not Lincoln. She represented Finchley in London throughout her career. The poll tax was trialled in Scotland.

Nottingham was not where pit closures first occurred and indeed after the Notts-based Union of Democratic Miners backed her, she protected the Notts coalfield against closures. That policy was reversed by Major but by that time the government no longer needed their support. When Margaret Thatcher left office there were still 14 working pits in Notts.
Original post by JamesN88
To summarise; there's as much chance of the City endorsing the Communist Party as there is of Labour winning this by-election.

The point is labour thought and ideology is growing especially in the south. After decades of one party being popular in one area people want change.

Whitney is labours chance to make a change. If their future labour MP can promise a fairer society in Whitney, better public services, more police on streets, urban regeneration, combating social deprivation, providing more welfare, social justice, tackling crime and its causes then the people of Whitney will support and elect a labour MP who can deliver those things. So far decades of Tory control have deprived Whitney of these things. All People want is a better quality of life.

Its a case of appealing to peoples hearts and minds and my instinct is people of Whitney want a change, if not for them then for their future generations. If not labour then maybe someone like George Galloway could stand in Whitney?
I'd like to see George Galloway stand for the Whitney seat either as Labour or for the Respect party.
The point is labour thought and ideology is growing especially in the south. After decades of one party being popular in one area people want change.

Whitney is labours chance to make a change. If their future labour MP can promise a fairer society in Whitney, better public services, more police on streets, urban regeneration, combating social deprivation, providing more welfare, social justice, tackling crime and its causes then the people of Whitney will support and elect a labour MP who can deliver those things. So far decades of Tory control have deprived Whitney of these things. All People want is a better quality of life.

Its a case of appealing to peoples hearts and minds and my instinct is people of Whitney want a change, if not for them then for their future generations. If not labour then maybe someone like George Galloway could stand in Whitney?

Ummm, if it's growing so much in the south then the North is lost, or are the polls super wrong and actually it's Labour with the 10 point lead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
if labour cant win a seat like mine, Nuneaton, a traditional labour seat in a fairly working class old industrial coal/metalwork town, then they have absoloutely zero chance in winning a safe tory seat in Witney. those people don't want to be taxed more and whilst they might be less bothered about Eurosceptic values and traditional social conservatism than working class voters affected by globalisation, they are still quite provincial in attitude. There are many small villages around Warwickshire/leciestershire that voted to leave, and I am guessing that a fair share of Oxfordshire constituencies voted to leave to.

If they did in Witney they would have voted for it at the GE last year. You may not know but the constituency also includes Chipping Norton(google Chipping Norton Set) and loads of other wealthy villages who are even less likely to vote Labour in any numbers than Witney town itself.

They don't need radical action on any of this stuff you're rambling on about, it's not perfect(nowhere is) but it's a nice place to live. As I said I've got family there so I know.

George Galloway. :lol:

Like I said above, if they wanted change they would have voted for it. They don't put the PM and senior cabinet members in these seats for no reason, it's because there's not a cat in hells chance of them being lost.
(edited 7 years ago)
Am I the only person that can tell this is an obvious troll?
I'd like to see George Galloway stand for the Whitney seat either as Labour or for the Respect party.

So would I just for the comedy value. Although he can't stand for Labour as he was expelled from the Party and Respect are de-registered.

Just when I thought this conversation couldn't get any more ridiculous.
Original post by usainlightning
Am I the only person that can tell this is an obvious troll?

I guess you're new here, some people on this site genuinely are stupid enough to think Corbyn will win a landslide

Posted from TSR Mobile
So would I just for the comedy value. Although he can't stand for Labour as he was expelled from the Party and Respect are de-registered.

Corbyn really is taking his time letting Galloway back in

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think labour should put a labour MP in place to replace Cameron in Witney. The people of his former constituency would probably choose a labour MP after 6 years of having David Cameron.
The reasons are that people in Witney probably suffered the worst under Cameron's austerity, benefit cuts and bedroom tax were probably far worse here as a result of having the PM as local MP. I also think that since Cameron caused the EU referendum that Brexit will happen much quicker in Witney unless a labour MP can save Witney.
So I would not be surprised if Cameron is replaced by a labour MP.

You don't have a ****ing clue do you

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Corbyn really is taking his time letting Galloway back in

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says here there's a five year rule. I'm guessing it means you can't have been a member of another party in the previous 5 years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-election-george-galloway-twitter_uk_57cfb37be4b0ac5a02dc7ec6

I doubt anyone really wants Ken Livingstone mk2 around right now either.
(edited 7 years ago)

Galloway could stand for a newly created party with a new name. I mean he beat labour in Bradford. If he could do that there he could easily beat the Tories in Whitney where people are sitting on the fence a lot. They might not all vote labour but Galloway is a man of principle and somebody that could make a change and make things better for the people of Whitney.

A motto. Whitney Working together to make things better...

Thats the motto I'd choose if I was standing as an MP. Who could dispute such a positive slogan like that?

Quick Reply

Latest