The Student Room Group

Help Needed !

Hey ! I am currently studying BTEC applied science however am really interested in going to uni to study medicine but i'm not finding many that accept BTEC qualifications for this course. Does anyone know any uni's that do accept this sort of qualification for the medicine course. personal experiences will help too. thanks
Reply 1
Errm I don't think any UK medical schools accept BTECs I'm afraid. You'd either have to do A levels (or equivalent) or do another degree first and then apply after you graduate :smile:
Original post by IndsWrig
Hey ! I am currently studying BTEC applied science however am really interested in going to uni to study medicine but i'm not finding many that accept BTEC qualifications for this course. Does anyone know any uni's that do accept this sort of qualification for the medicine course. personal experiences will help too. thanks

A100 medicine courses require 3 A2 level qualifications to include chemistry (and usually biology) at grades AAA-A*AA, and competition is high so many achieve. GCSE requirements also include a B in maths and english language for the majority of medical school and most also require Bs in science. Often these "minimum" requirements are not going to get you an interview though and due to high competition some schools have required as high as 8A*s at GCSE, but be aware requirements vary from school to school.

A BTEC (in what may i ask?) is not going to be accepted, you would either have to complete A2 levels or apply with a first or 2:1 after completing and undergraduate degree.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Natalierm2707

A BTEC (in what may i ask?)

Hey ! I am currently studying BTEC applied science

:wink:
Original post by sumeyyatontus
:wink:

Hahaha 😂😂😂 you can really tell it was late when i wrote that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by sumeyyatontus
Errm I don't think any UK medical schools accept BTECs I'm afraid. You'd either have to do A levels (or equivalent) or do another degree first and then apply after you graduate :smile:

ohhh okay thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
A100 medicine courses require 3 A2 level qualifications to include chemistry (and usually biology) at grades AAA-A*AA, and competition is high so many achieve. GCSE requirements also include a B in maths and english language for the majority of medical school and most also require Bs in science. Often these "minimum" requirements are not going to get you an interview though and due to high competition some schools have required as high as 8A*s at GCSE, but be aware requirements vary from school to school.

A BTEC (in what may i ask?) is not going to be accepted, you would either have to complete A2 levels or apply with a first or 2:1 after completing and undergraduate degree.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in applied science (medical)
Reply 7

Okay guys i did some research as i know alot more of you are as lost as me and turns out there are infact unis that accpt btecs for this course such as Bristol Uni where the requirements are DDM in an applied science or pharmaceutical study http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/ . There are many more and i will update you when i know for certain that i have the right info for you .. and please please please let me know if you know of any more x
Okay guys i did some research as i know alot more of you are as lost as me and turns out there are infact unis that accpt btecs for this course such as Bristol Uni where the requirements are DDM in an applied science or pharmaceutical study http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/ . There are many more and i will update you when i know for certain that i have the right info for you .. and please please please let me know if you know of any more x

Is this for the 5 year course or for the foundation year, im pretty sure a lot of universities accept the BTEC course for the 6 year (with foundation year) programme.
Reply 9

They won't accept it unless as you said just now it is the correct subject for that specific university (Bristol), you can take the appropiate A-levels and do your best but you'll be at a big disadvantage regardless of how fantastic you are because they do not like accepting retakes/people deciding on medicine late.

The other option is to stick with what you have and apply to do Biology or something similar and then once you have completed it apply for medicine straight after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending