The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
I will guess your country ...

Afghanistan...

So, if a person is born in England but parents are from Pakistan. That makes their nationality, Pakistani?

Btw, Pashtun is not an ethnic group of middle east. I'm pashtun lol.
Original post by 0to100
I bet you are. So what part of India are you or your folks from?
The West part; Mumbai.
I was not born in India, but London, UK.
My parents were born scattered around the place.
I don't know why, but I'm an Indian.
Original post by Saba XD
So, if a person is born in England but parents are from Pakistan. That makes their nationality, Pakistani?

LOOL, least he tried pronouncing it.
Original post by Saba XD

No their parents. I specified to list your nationality or your parents if you're an immigrant. :erm:

Also I don't quite care if you say you are Pashtun. You don't even know what nationality is so of course youre confused about what "ethnic group" means.

Google your own heritage:

"Pashtun (also spelled Pushtun, Pakhtun, Pashtoon, Pathan) are a people who live in southeastern Afghanistan and the northwestern province of Pakistan. They are one of the largest ethnic groups in Afghanistan."

If it's not an ethnic group, then what is it then...which term do you prefer? :rofl:
Original post by Freaky.certified
The West part; Mumbai.

Uh oh folks there's a Londonder. :colone:
Original post by 0to100
No their parents. I specified to list your nationality or your parents if you're an immigrant. :erm:

Also I don't quite care if you say you are Pashtun. You don't even know what nationality is so of course youre confused about what "ethnic group" means.

Google your own heritage:

"Pashtun (also spelled Pushtun, Pakhtun, Pashtoon, Pathan) are a people who live in southeastern Afghanistan and the northwestern province of Pakistan. They are one of the largest ethnic groups in Afghanistan."

If it's not an ethnic group, then what is it then...which term do you prefer? :rofl:

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I didn't say it isn't an ethnic group. All I said was that it isn't an ethnic group of middle east. Because, Afghanistan isn't in middle east. Also, I'm not Afghan lol.
For the record honestly:

Nationality is the country you were born and raised but people like to rep their parent's nation too if they differ
Race is category strictly of your skin colour
Ethnic group is the one of the various cultures and languages/dialects within a race or country

:yy:
I bet you are. So what part of India are you or your folks from?
The West part; Mumbai.

Me too. Parents are from Pak and I was born in London too. :five:
Original post by 0to100
Lmao no it's not. Ethnic group is what I listed. Race is what I listed. Race is the general category of your skin colour. Ethnicity is more specific to your culture and language.

Pashtun of the Middle East is an ethnic group. It's not a race. It's wrongfully used interchangeably.

Ethnicity is race. Race itself is a stupid societal construct, ethnicity is the proper categorisation based on geographic area..

Essentially, race is a lazy way of categorising ethnicities into broad buckets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saba XD
I think there has been a misunderstanding. I didn't say it isn't an ethnic group. All I said was that it isn't an ethnic group of middle east. Because, Afghanistan isn't in middle east. Also, I'm not Afghan lol.

The misunderstanding is not on my end but
"Afghanistan /æfˈɡænᵻstæn/, officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, is a Nation state located within Greater Middle East"

I've never in my life heard that it's not the middle east. But I honestly don't quite care. Because the point is, Pashtun is an ethnic group. For your sake learn the meaning before you go to uni :yes: Anyway it's a simple topic that calls for a simple answer and no one has failed yet but you. :\
Original post by 0to100
"Afghanistan /æfˈɡænᵻstæn/, officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, is a Nation state located within Greater Middle East"

I've never in my life heard that it's not the middle east. But I honestly don't quite care. Because the point is, Pashtun is an ethnic group. For your sake learn the meaning before you go to uni :yes: Anyway it's a simple topic that calls for a simple answer and no one has failed yet but you. :\

No. It isn't. It borders Iran, which is in the middle east. -_-

Plus, I don't get why you have the attitude of 'holier than thou'.
Original post by Princepieman
Ethnicity is race. Race itself is a stupid societal construct, ethnicity is the proper categorisation based on geographic area..

Essentially, race is a lazy way of categorising ethnicities into broad buckets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

.............What in the name of Mary and Joseph is your point?

What are you on about proper? It's irrelevant to the thread but also I specifically said race describes strictly skin colour and that ethnic group is more specific so...Idk why you posted this lol

You just said in your previous post though that "race and ethnicity are the same." Now you're saying ethnicity is the better one, more proper, more specific... Confused? :\

Anyway you answered the question about your nationality already so :hat2:
Original post by 0to100

Also, I didn't fail buddy. You did. I'll reiterate for you just in case. No where have I stated that Pashtun is not an ethnic group at all. All I said was that it isn't an ethnic group of middle east, so telling me to 'learn the meaning' is very ignorant of you. And, for your info, I'm a graduate.
Original post by Saba XD
No. It isn't. It borders Iran, which is in the middle east. -_-

Plus, I don't get why you have the attitude of 'holier than thou'.

Lol right love take it up with wikipedia and every encyclopaedia that has ever been written that Afghanistan isn't middle east. My point isn't about afghanistan anyway though lol it's about pashtun which is proven to be an ethnic group when you said it's not :\ so I still would like to know which term you prefer since ethnic group doesn't seem to be the one to describe pashtun...let's all learn together then :yes:
Original post by 0to100
Lol right love take it up with wikipedia and every encyclopaedia that has ever been written that Afghanistan isn't middle east. My point isn't about afghanistan anyway though lol it's about pashtun which is proven to be an ethnic group when you said it's not :\ so I still would like to know which term you prefer since ethnic group doesn't seem to be the one to describe pashtun...let's all learn together then :yes:

According to wikipedia, Pakistan is also part of greater middle east. :rofl: That's debatable.
Original post by 0to100
Lol right love takee it up with wikipedia and every encyclopaedia that has ever been written that Afghanistan isn't middle east. My point isn't about afghanistan anyway though lol it's about pashtun which is proven to be an ethnic group when you said it's not :\ so I still would like to know which term you prefer since ethnic group doesn't seem to be the one to describe pashtun...let's all learn together then :yes:

I suggest you read with your mind and eyes wide open before taking the route of 'oh let me educate this person', because at the moment, you're embarrassing yourself.
Original post by Saba XD
According to wikipedia, Pakistan is also part of greater middle east. :rofl: That's debatable.

Now see...you're doing it again yea. Going on and on about geography when this is initially about you not knowing that pashtun is an ethnic group.

You wanna argue about anything you can. First it's about "what is nationality?" I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Then it's about pashtuns...now its about where the bloody middle east is.

Right one last time:

pashtun is an ethnic group of any place you want. It is an actual and factual example of an ethnic group.
Not a race. Not a nation/country. But an ethnic group.

And how many times are you gonna quote me.
I'm British/Indian. I'm glad you asked.

Original post by Princepieman
British/HK/Nigerian/Jamaican

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though these two disagree with me, even they answered the very simple question properly.
Original post by 0to100
Now see...you're doing it again yea. Going on and on about geography when this is initially about you not knowing that pashtun is an ethnic group.

You wanna argue about anything you can. First it's about "what is nationality?" I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Then it's about pashtuns...now its about where the bloody middle east is.

Right one last time:

pashtun is an ethnic group of any place you want. It is an actual and factual example of an ethnic group.
Not a race. Not a nation/country. But an ethnic group.

And how many times are you gonna quote me.

I think you lack comprehensive skills. Get off your high horse and show me where I stated that Pashtun is not an ethnic group 'at all'. Or, did I say that it is not an ethnic group of middle east. Is it hard for you to differentiate between the two things?
Original post by 0to100
.............What in the name of Mary and Joseph is your point?

What are you on about proper? It's irrelevant to the thread but also I specifically said race describes strictly skin colour and that ethnic group is more specific so...Idk why you posted this lol

You just said in your previous post though that "race and ethnicity are the same." Now you're saying ethnicity is the better one, more proper, more specific... Confused? :\

Anyway you answered the question about your nationality already so :hat2:

It's 4:30am and I can't sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest