The Student Room Group

Operations, accountancy or HR for progression and highest salary long term?

I am planning to study Bsc accounting and management at queen mary university of london and get a 1st/2:1.
I have narrowed down my career options to the following:
- management consulting
- operations division in investment banks (I do not want to work the long hours of front office!)
- accountancy
- HR - preferably in an investment bank or top company
- wealth management in an investment bank
- investment management/asset management - I don't know much about this industry but would love to hear your guidance on this!
- from what i have read hedge funds/private equity would be out of reach for me as you can only really get in after being in front office at an investment bank is this correct?

Please could you rank all of these in terms of long term highest salary and how long it would take to get to the top of the profession?

Please can anyone give me advice on which would be the best for long term career progression, which will get me the highest salary long term, which is the best in terms of work life balance, starting salary after graduation and basically any advice and info regarding these sectors would be much appreciated thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by snoopyx
I am planning to study Bsc accounting and management at queen mary university of london and get a 1st/2:1.
- management consulting
- operations division in investment banks (I do not want to work the long hours of front office!)
- accountancy
- investment management/asset management - I don't know much about this industry but would love to hear your guidance on this!
- from what i have read hedge funds/private equity would be out of reach for me as you can only really get in after being in front office at an investment bank is this correct?

Please could you rank all of these in terms of long term highest salary and how long it would take to get to the top of the profession?

Please can anyone give me advice on which would be the best for long term career progression, which will get me the highest salary long term, which is the best in terms of work life balance, starting salary after graduation and basically any advice and info regarding these sectors would be much appreciated thanks!

How about the one you like the look of most and are interested in most?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by snoopyx
- management consulting
- accountancy

Do investment management if you want the highest salary and career progression. For work life balance do HR or maybe accounting. Hedge funds and private equity would be out of reach for you at the undergraduate level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Do investment management if you want the highest salary and career progression. For work life balance do HR or maybe accounting. Hedge funds and private equity would be out of reach for you at the undergraduate level.

what is the difference between investment management and private wealth management?
What kind of salary can i expect in investment management and what kind of experience will i need?
Is it more money than operations in investment banking but less than front office at ib? Thanks*
Reply 4
Original post by snoopyx
what is the difference between investment management and private wealth management?
What kind of salary can i expect in investment management and what kind of experience will i need?
Is it more money than operations in investment banking but less than front office at ib? Thanks*

Investment management and private wealth management are very different. Provate wealth management is for high net worth individuals and investment management is managing the money of individuals like you and I as well as institutions. They both involve investing into different securities like stocks and bonds as well as alternative investments and property.

Salary depends on seniority. Starting salary can be between £35-45k
At the portfolio manager level you can earn £500k+
Original post by Trapz99
Investment management and private wealth management are very different. Provate wealth management is for high net worth individuals and investment management is managing the money of individuals like you and I as well as institutions. They both involve investing into different securities like stocks and bonds as well as alternative investments and property.

Salary depends on seniority. Starting salary can be between £35-45k
At the portfolio manager level you can earn £500k+

thanks
how would you rank these occupations in terms of difficulty to get into?
also job security once you have the job?
thanks
Reply 6
Original post by snoopyx
thanks
how would you rank these occupations in terms of difficulty to get into?
also job security once you have the job?
thanks

Investment management would be the hardest to get into and has the lowest job security. Accounting has pretty good job security and maybe HR as well.
Original post by Trapz99
Investment management would be the hardest to get into and has the lowest job security. Accounting has pretty good job security and maybe HR as well.

how about operations in IB and accountancy which is harder to get into? also which one has the highest earning potential?
thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by snoopyx
how about operations in IB and accountancy which is harder to get into? also which one has the highest earning potential?
thanks

Operations is harder to get into but accountancy probably has better opportunities which can give you a higher earning potential.
Original post by Trapz99
Operations is harder to get into but accountancy probably has better opportunities which can give you a higher earning potential.

by this do you mean opportunities within accounting ie going up through the ranks?
In operations do you get promoted after certain time periods or is it only if someone leaves?
Thanks*
Original post by snoopyx
by this do you mean opportunities within accounting ie going up through the ranks?
In operations do you get promoted after certain time periods or is it only if someone leaves?
Thanks*

Yes and I also mean exit opportunities like FP&A, controller, product control, fiancé director that you can apply to if you're a chartered accountant.

In operations you get promoted after certain time periods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending